Good idea???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maybemed

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started my junior year and had to drop organic chemistry for the second time! My GPA right now is a 3.32 and I have lots of volunteer work as well as a great job as a senior research assistant for the director of the department. I know that struggling with organic chemistry isn't going to help me get into med school but I was thinking of just taking it and the physics classes I have left as post-bat work and then applying for med-school. I have not taken my MCAT either. Is this a good idea?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds as though that would be the best option for you. Listen, there is no rush to apply, and the longer you wait, and the more you can put on your application that you've done (research, more courses, etc) the better. Kinda like buying a computer or a Palm. the longer you can hold out, the better!

For your last year or so, though, in school, you may as well take more sciences to boost up your sci gpa, and let the ad coms know that you're serious. maybe biochem? or anatomy & physiology? take what you're interested in. i wish i had taken an anatomy course before med school. biochem would have helped too.

good luck! and best wishes.

Thanks for your response pimplepopperMD, but is there ANYONE else who thinks that taking pre-med requirements in post-bat is a good idea? I really want to get into med-school and I know I have to work hard especially with having two org.chem drops in my record, but I don't want to waste my time taking post-bat work if it is not going to improve my chances in any way? THANKS

It logically seems to come down to this: Which would you rather have to explain, taking prereqs in post bacc or a low org chem grade? The only way out of those two choices is to take it in undergrad AND get a good grade. If you can't do both of those you are back at the other two options. Seems like post bacc with a decent grade would be easier to explain around and than blowing one of the pre med pre reqs with a bad grade.

Good luck,

mj