good 'landmark' anesthesiology journal articles?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IlianaSedai

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well.... the day before yesterday, this MS-3 chose gas.

But anyway... to satisfy a curious mind... can anyone give any pointers as to a few good anesthesiology journal articles to read? Landmark bread-and-butter would be a good place to start. My school doesn't have an anesthesiology residency, so there was no curriculum when I rotated... just "here, read Miller" (thunk).

Members don't see this ad.

IlianaSedai said:
Well.... the day before yesterday, this MS-3 chose gas.

But anyway... to satisfy a curious mind... can anyone give any pointers as to a few good anesthesiology journal articles to read? Landmark bread-and-butter would be a good place to start. My school doesn't have an anesthesiology residency, so there was no curriculum when I rotated... just "here, read Miller" (thunk).

LOL. my school has a residency and they still went "here, read Miller" (thunk)

That's basically the universal answer attendings give to the question "what would be a good way to prepare for elective?" "what is the best thing to read to prepare for CA-1?" .

I thought Miller was a tough read to begin with, so this answer does not help me much. :(

I'd also be interested in knowing what articles are good to read. . .

First, I enjoyed Morgan/Mikhail/Murray's Lange text as a great starter.

NEJM a few years back had a great review on anesthetic mechanism theories, and the Feb 2005 Anesthesiology has a great review on this topic as well.

Some recommended search strings to start with:

Perioperative beta-blockade
BIS monitor
Malampati scoring system

Members don't see this ad :)
GasPundit said:
First, I enjoyed Morgan/Mikhail/Murray's Lange text as a great starter.

NEJM a few years back had a great review on anesthetic mechanism theories, and the Feb 2005 Anesthesiology has a great review on this topic as well.

Some recommended search strings to start with:

Perioperative beta-blockade
BIS monitor
Malampati scoring system

Funny, I just bought Morgan yesterday on ebay! Can't wait till i get it in the mail!

This may sound nerdy, but I really like Goodman & Gilman for all the drugs that we use: anesthestics, benzos, opioids, neuromuscular blocking agents, etc. It offers a good in-depth introduction that isn't too hard to read.