good 'landmark' anesthesiology journal articles?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IlianaSedai

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well.... the day before yesterday, this MS-3 chose gas.

But anyway... to satisfy a curious mind... can anyone give any pointers as to a few good anesthesiology journal articles to read? Landmark bread-and-butter would be a good place to start. My school doesn't have an anesthesiology residency, so there was no curriculum when I rotated... just "here, read Miller" (thunk).
 
IlianaSedai said:
Well.... the day before yesterday, this MS-3 chose gas.

But anyway... to satisfy a curious mind... can anyone give any pointers as to a few good anesthesiology journal articles to read? Landmark bread-and-butter would be a good place to start. My school doesn't have an anesthesiology residency, so there was no curriculum when I rotated... just "here, read Miller" (thunk).

LOL. my school has a residency and they still went "here, read Miller" (thunk)

That's basically the universal answer attendings give to the question "what would be a good way to prepare for elective?" "what is the best thing to read to prepare for CA-1?" .

I thought Miller was a tough read to begin with, so this answer does not help me much. 🙁

I'd also be interested in knowing what articles are good to read. . .
 
First, I enjoyed Morgan/Mikhail/Murray's Lange text as a great starter.

NEJM a few years back had a great review on anesthetic mechanism theories, and the Feb 2005 Anesthesiology has a great review on this topic as well.

Some recommended search strings to start with:

Perioperative beta-blockade
BIS monitor
Malampati scoring system
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
GasPundit said:
First, I enjoyed Morgan/Mikhail/Murray's Lange text as a great starter.

NEJM a few years back had a great review on anesthetic mechanism theories, and the Feb 2005 Anesthesiology has a great review on this topic as well.

Some recommended search strings to start with:

Perioperative beta-blockade
BIS monitor
Malampati scoring system

Funny, I just bought Morgan yesterday on ebay! Can't wait till i get it in the mail!
 
This may sound nerdy, but I really like Goodman & Gilman for all the drugs that we use: anesthestics, benzos, opioids, neuromuscular blocking agents, etc. It offers a good in-depth introduction that isn't too hard to read.