good medical school information book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

me3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good book which covers each medical school giving stats (like residency placements and board scores), curriculum, and other information? Basically a good book in helping one choose a medical school.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that this is the type of information found in the MSAR, right?!

Members don't see this ad :)
doesn't the MSAR talk only about "requirements" for admission? I want to know more about each school such as match results, what they're known for, curriculum style, and so on ..

MSAR has information on tuition, state residency requirements for school applicants, numbers applied/ interviewed/ accepted, average MCAT scores and GPAs. Each school has a little blurb in there regarding their philosophy, the curriculum, etc. Overall it is a good book to have but it does have typos and inaccurate information sometimes.

try peterson's insider guide to medical school

me3 said:
doesn't the MSAR talk only about "requirements" for admission? I want to know more about each school such as match results, what they're known for, curriculum style, and so on ..

me3 said:

You can find all of this, but there's no one convenient source that I know of. MSAR, however, offers a lot more than requirements and should be your starting point. It answers the "what are schools known for?" question in that each school basically has a couple of paragraphs to market itself. They'll tell you what they think the best features of their programs are. Most will also describe the curriculum in some detail.

As for match results, you'll have to go to individual school websites or talk to your friends who have already interviewed and have the match statistic packets from various schools. A fair number of schools do not bother to put current information online.

How about US News and World Report "Best Graduate Schools"
???

I also found the Princeton Review Guide to Medical Schools very helpful. It has all the same info as MSAR and then some.

lulubean said:
I also found the Princeton Review Guide to Medical Schools very helpful. It has all the same info as MSAR and then some.

The Princeton Review book is a waste of money because it's basically a printout of all of the information on their website which you can get for free. Check out princetonreview.com and find the school you're interested in and compare it to what's in the book, it's verbatim.

Eh, I think the US News guide is crap for what you're looking for. I bought the Barron's Guide and it has been pretty good for the info you want.

me3 said:
Does anyone know of a good book which covers each medical school giving stats (like residency placements and board scores), curriculum, and other information? Basically a good book in helping one choose a medical school.

thanks

Get the US News and World Report Ultimate Guide to Medical Schools. It is very informative and even ranks schools based on different factors like cost, research, etc.