Good neighborhoods in Boston?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EtOHWithdrawal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Preferably next to orange T line... Anyone got the inside info? Which are the bad neighborhoods?
EtOH

Members don't see this ad.

BTW Matched at Tufts if that helps... any info appreciated. Thx!

I live in Boston, so I can offer some advice:

1. South End - pricey because its trendy, not too far from NEMC/downtown (some parts would easily be walking distance), orange line stop is Back Bay, one stop from NEMC's or Mass Ave. REALLY NICE AREA

2. Jamaica Plain - cheaper than the south end, young person neighborhood, a little more difficult to access via the T. Nice neighborhood though.

3. Communities north of Boston like Malden etc. are on the orange line. They'll definitely be cheaper than living in Boston but they are not as nice. I don't know much about them.

The orange line does go through some not-as-nice neighborhoods - Roxbury/Dorchester/Mattapan are a little rougher.

Also, NEMC is fairly close to Red and Green line stops as well (Red line stop is maybe ~3-4 blocks, green line approx the same) These lines open up many more communities for you - Cambridge, Somerville, Brookline - which are all very nice to live in. I'm more familiar with towns along these lines and many medical students who go to Tufts live along these lines (I'm one of them)

Tufts-NEMC is on the orange line as you note (NEMC stop). But the green line stop at Boylston is very close by as well (5-8 minute walk), and the red line stops at Downtown Crossing which is very close, again about a 5 minute walk, so you don't need to get all hung up on the orange line, but you won't get wet in the rain and it is pretty convinient. Green line gives you access to some nice areas around Kenmore and farther out Brookline/Brighton/BU/area, BC farther out. Beware as the green line is pretty slow once you leave the subway portion and that would be Kenmore. Red line gives you access from Quincy to Cambridge to Arlington area.

Areas to avoid on the orange line are anything outbound from Back Bay, but you can find a few pockets of nice near the Mass Ave and even Ruggles stations but it gets sketchy pretty quick. North on the orange line is fairly unexciting in my opinion, but cheaper like that Malden area.

I would recommend living downtown (and by this I mean Back Bay/Beacon Hill/near South End) and just walking, but that's just me. There are definately some luxury buildings near NEMC (Archstone Boston Common, Tremont on the Common, The Metropoliton) but you'll pay for them, around $2000 for a 1 bed.

There's plenty of brownstones in the Back Bay, but you'll want to stay east of about Dartmouth or Exeter if you're walking (street names go alphabetical, Arlington, Berkely, Clarendon, etc with Arlington being on the garden), maybe a little farther if you're walking to Back Bay station for a short ride on the orange line. Bay Village has a bunch of fairly affordable places, again old old old and it's a pretty safe area mostly. You'll have to visit after dark to see if it creeps you out though and you'll know what I mean once you do so.

Beacon Hill is very nice, mostly pricey and small places though and it's a little bit of a hike across the common to your work.

South End was 'up and coming' 10 years ago. Now it's up to Back Bay rents but south of the pike. South end runs south from the Mass Pike to Albany St. and west past Mass. Ave. Two landmarks here: Washington and Harrison. You'll have to get a map out for this one. Tremont is very nice, but the closer you get to Mass Ave the worse it gets. Same is true to the south. Washington away from Mass Ave isn't that bad, and the Silver Line runs on Washington to NEMC, but close to Mass Ave and you're right by Boston Medical Center. Not a real pleasant neighboorhood. Incidentally, if you go around with a real estate agent looking to buy, the first places they will show you on a resident's salary are south of Washington and then south of Harrison near Mass Ave. Efforts are being made to really clean it up down there but I'd avoid it without really looking around. So if you want South End, and there are some deals there, look north of Washington in general and the farther from Mass Ave the better.

Your best way to get an apartment is to find a realtor, and that's pretty easy. You'll have to pay a finder's fee, usually 1 months rent sometimes less, security, and first month so bring your check book. Take a look on craigslist and see what you come up with. Most of the ads on there are realtors and they usually all have the same places. If you need a recommendation of a decent one, PM me.

I really appreciate the advice... I am in Phoenix at the moment, and have spent very lttle time in Boston. It's amazingly difficult to start thinking about moving across the country...
I'll keep looking on Craigslist and maybe think about using an agent.... Might be the best way. Thanks again!

In Boston:
South End = pricey, but safe, and trendy
Back Bay = pricier, also safe, and trendy
Beacon Hill = most expensive. You can find an apartment for $1500, but it won't be very nice.

Around Boston:
Cambridge = no cheaper than Back Bay or South End, in general
Somerville = more reasonably priced housing here, but definitely less trendy than any of the above

Any other town excluding the above is most likely cheaper, but when commuting INTO the city in the mornings you will go WITH the traffic (and the traffic jam) and same when you leave at night -- if you drive.

If you end up flying here for a weekend and using a real estate agent, they will ALWAYS show you apartments that are about $200-$300 above your stated price maximum -- so set your upper limit, then subtract about $300 and see what they show you for that. ;-)

Malden may not be trendy but it's cheap enough and safe enough especially if you find something close to one of the last 2 T stops. It also has the Middlesex Fells reservation area directly north which is a nice touch of outdoors if you like that. Since orange line is quite fast, it's a pretty short travel downtown. You can find all sorts of things around Malden center T stop - meaning not many but a few good and interesting restaurants, ok pubs, and a reasonably priced gym in about a 5 min. walking distance circle. Good luck

Thanks again everyone. Looking on Craigslist, Somerville seems to be much cheaper than the other areas (like you all have said), and I just want to make sure that you all think it is a safe neighborhood... I don't mind if a neighborhood is less trendy if it is safe, because I can always go to the trendy areas when I want to go out to a restaurant or pub.
I'll keep malden in mind as well, they seem to post a lot of apartments there, some with parking places even!
Cheers EtOH

Somerville is a safe town. The somerville/Medford area is pretty nice because that is where the tufts undergrad campus is. There are a lot of two family homes, some apt buildings. Check out Porter and Davis squares. They're nice areas.

Can any of you Boston residents recommend a good place to live for someone working at MGH? I have two small dogs, so I would be willing to sacrifice a bit of a commute in exchange for a small tract of grass and/or lower rent (I will obviously need daily dog care, so I need to budget money for that) Beacon Hill just seems out of my price range. I have some friends with reasonable sounding arrangements in Brookline/Brighton, but I can't tell if that will be too far away for me. Any insight appreciated! Thanks!

Can any of you Boston residents recommend a good place to live for someone working at MGH? I have two small dogs, so I would be willing to sacrifice a bit of a commute in exchange for a small tract of grass and/or lower rent (I will obviously need daily dog care, so I need to budget money for that) Beacon Hill just seems out of my price range. I have some friends with reasonable sounding arrangements in Brookline/Brighton, but I can't tell if that will be too far away for me. Any insight appreciated! Thanks!

Brookline and Brighton are not a problem at all if you have a car. Somerville is also not bad in terms of housing prices and the number of late 20's - mid 30's people living there, also if you have a car (though if you live near Davis or Porter Squares you can hop onto the Red Line and get off right at the hospital).

Anywhere else whose address does not end in "Boston, MA" or "Cambridge, MA" should also be pretty reasonably priced, and if within a half hour driving commute according to Mapquest should be okay. Avoid Dorchester/Roxbury (unsafe).

Parts of Cambridge are not super expensive (around Central Square) and have opportunity for dog walking. The red line stops at Charles/MGH, then crosses the river right into Cambridge. Brookline/Brighton would almost certainly mean driving to work and parking which is a complete @#$%ing nightmare.

Thanks for your responses! Trying to secure a place to live in Boston while living in Florida is not easy, and your insight is invaluable! :)

Anyone have any thoughts on the Savin Hill neighborhood? Too far? Safe for a single gal? It seems very close to Dorchester.....

Thanks for your responses! Trying to secure a place to live in Boston while living in Florida is not easy, and your insight is invaluable! :)

Anyone have any thoughts on the Savin Hill neighborhood? Too far? Safe for a single gal? It seems very close to Dorchester.....

"Stabbin' Hill" 'nuff said. I know they have a red line stop but I don't know much more about it.

Good neighborhood in Boston? HA! No such thing.... There are only expensive neighborhoods vs. exorbitant neighborhoods. Coming from Phoenix, you will see just how expensive it is to live here, and how much lower your standard of living will be. I don't want to get you down... so I won't go into the road system or the traffic. :scared:

Good luck in Taxachussets... I myself can't wait to get out. I matched as far away from Boston as possible.

Sorry!

I live in beacon hill and i love it. It is expensive though but it is great. Needless to say I don't have a car, that is suicide!!!!

I think brookline and JP are great places and much cheaper. Would not go to dorchester

I forgot to give you advice... to busy going off on Boston.

The further out you live, the less "exorbitant" it gets, until you get out to Weston or Wellesley. If you don't mind living a little further out, you could live in Watertown or Waltham. They are just "expensive," not "exorbitant," and they are pretty safe. It is a possibility if you find a place near the T station. I would never drive into Boston.:eek:

I also have a buddy in Norwood who takes the commuter rail in everyday. He works downtown and he says it takes him 35 minutes door to door.

Pre-med student here at the Tufts Medford campus. I want to echo what the others have said about Somerville. Hip and up-and-coming areas around Davis Square and probably cheaper than Back Bay. Red-line accessible--you're 20-25 minutes away from NEMC on the T.

The further out you live, the less "exorbitant" it gets, until you get out to Weston or Wellesley. If you don't mind living a little further out, you could live in Watertown or Waltham.

Agreed that the further out you live (and it's really not that far), the more money you save. My husband and I pay around $2000/month for a renovated 2br (really, a medium-sized bedroom and a small office) in Cambridge. Waltham, Woburn, Burlington, etc you could probably get a similar apartment for $1200-$1400. Where you're coming from, that may still seem expensive, but it would be a huge savings.

I'm not sure about driving vs not driving into Boston for work. If you live along the Red Line of the T, close enough to walk to a stop within a reasonable amount of time, real estate prices are actually much higher than apartments that are further away from the T. The difference proximity to the T makes in terms of housing prices is actually pretty big. I live in Cambridge and the T is probably a 20-minute walk away -- like many others at my program, no matter how close I live (5 minute drive vs 30-40 minute walk plus T) I'd rather pay extra to rent a hospital parking space so I can sleep in for another half hour in the morning, and get home a little faster at night. An extra half hour or even 15 minutes of sleep makes a big difference to a busy resident. But that's just me.

Somerville really is a good compromise, allowing you to take the T if that's your thing, or drive in on the streets if that's your thing. Allston, Brighton, Brookline also places where a lot of people live. Malden, Everett, Medford, Waltham, etc are even cheaper for those willing to commute a half hour. But some residents just go for lifestyle because they want to live in the city, and they do find places in Beacon Hill, Back Bay, South End without a problem. They're all okay. The problem is not finding one town/neighborhood where you can live -- it's choosing from among all the different choices, because when you first start out there are way too many!

If you take the highway, there is a traffic jam going into the city if you want to get there for 7am. There is not a traffic jam if you want to get there for 6am. During the beginning of your internship it probably won't be a problem, but later on when you're comfortable enough to get there AT the signout time and not an hour before, you may sit in commuter traffic for a while longer. There are backroads to get around things as well.

city of quincy is great. Some nice luxurious apartments with views of the ocean run around 1650 per month for 2 bedroom. great restaurants. easy to get out and exercise. commute to boston though- 20-30 minutes each way.

Good neighborhood in Boston? HA! No such thing.... There are only expensive neighborhoods vs. exorbitant neighborhoods. Coming from Phoenix, you will see just how expensive it is to live here, and how much lower your standard of living will be. I don't want to get you down... so I won't go into the road system or the traffic. :scared:

Good luck in Taxachussets... I myself can't wait to get out. I matched as far away from Boston as possible.

Sorry!

Funny, I didn't realize that "expensive" and "good" were mutually exclusive. Chances are, no matter where you live "good" neighborhoods will also be expensive (relatively) compared to "bad" ones (something about the 3 rules of real estate are location, location, location). That said, there is no doubt that Boston has an expensive real estate market. Chances are, the OP knew that when ranking. Also, "standard of living" means different things to different people. If it means 2 acres of land, 3br house with an attached garage, well, as a resident, Massachusetts might not be for you (at least, Eastern Massachusetts). That doesn't make Boston a bad place to live, just a bad place to live if you want that. What Boston does have (that maybe a place in the boonies doesn't) is vibrant cultural activities, parks, great restaurants/bars and lots of educated young people. It's the nature of cities vs. rural living and yes, cities are generally more expensive...and a good number of them have traffic.

Thanks to everyone who replied & sent a PM. I have found your advice very useful! I had a couple of more questions/specifics:

I will be doing surgery, so I do not think utilizing the T for my commute is feasible--I won't be able to get there early enough, so I am anticipating having a car and paying for parking at the hospital, and I'd like to keep the commute under half an hour. I'd like to have an apt. with close access (maybe not right outside, but at least a block or so away) to a rentable parking space that is safe enough to driving in the early mornings/late evenings. Still, I'd like to be somewhat close to the T for getting arouind for non-work reasons. Should I still be looking for places in Brookline/Brighton/Cambridge/Somerville/JP areas? (So hard to gauge safety and commuting with traffic when you live 10 states away!)

Is craigslist the best resource for finding an apartment and/or roommate? Is hiring a broker worthwhile?

If there are any single residents out there, what do you realistically pay for rent/utilities/parking (and do you have any money left over for fun or savings?) With the high cost of living, I am trying to gauge my budget, but don't want to over or undershoot financially.

Thanks again for your expertise and insight. It helps ease the stress in an otherwise nail-biting time!:oops:

Bitsy,

With surgery's early hours, traffic should be no problem in downtown Boston. MGH is right off of Storrow drive, which is accessible easily from Brookline, allston, brighton (and slightly longer: JP/Newton). Talking 10-15 minute drive max with no traffic from Brookline - I've done it late a night. MGH is also on the cambridge-side of Boston so I would anticipate a similar drive time from there. From JP, you'd have to literally drive through boston to get to MGH, but again, without traffic it wouldn't be bad (with traffic, it would be a nightmare). Somerville/Medford areas would require you to drive through cambridge.

All the towns you mentioned would be safe enough to walk to and from your car at night (and all have good access to the T, except maybe JP). Somerville/Cambridge/JP more likely would just have resident street parking which you wouldn't have to pay for (just get an annual resident sticker) but of course, you'd have to find a parking spot each time. Brookline has no overnight street parking (which is annoying) so you'd need a garage, but most apartment buildings would have that. In JP/Somerville/Medford, you might find yourself living in a multifamily house or house converted to rental units that has it's own driveway parking.

Boston.com has a real estate section which lets you search for apartments based on neighborhood, it might be more useful than Craigslist which can be a hodgepodge at times.

I will be doing surgery, so I do not think utilizing the T for my commute is feasible--I won't be able to get there early enough, so I am anticipating having a car and paying for parking at the hospital, and I'd like to keep the commute under half an hour. I'd like to have an apt. with close access (maybe not right outside, but at least a block or so away) to a rentable parking space that is safe enough to driving in the early mornings/late evenings. Still, I'd like to be somewhat close to the T for getting arouind for non-work reasons. Should I still be looking for places in Brookline/Brighton/Cambridge/Somerville/JP areas?

Is craigslist the best resource for finding an apartment and/or roommate? Is hiring a broker worthwhile?

All I can really tell you is my current experience. I live in Cambridge, within 1/2 mile of Prospect/Broadway intersection. We pay $1500/month for a newly renovated two bedroom in an area with ample street parking. We found it through a real estate agent -- initially expensive, but over four years definitely worth it. When I shadowed at MGH I rode my bicycle -- nice easy distance, just popped over the river -- but I can't gauge safety at early hours of the morning -- how safe you feel may depend on your gender. If you're not big into bike riding, it would be a very fast car-commute from here to the hospital except during rush hour, when it takes forever to cross the river or to make any lefthand turn at all (no green arrows in this city!). During rush hour, of course, you could go with the T. Count on living at least 10 minutes walk from the T unless you're really willing to shell out the $$$. Again, bike riding is a real option in this town (one of the few things I like about it!) and will cut the time it takes to get to the T at least in half.

One bewildering thing about the apartment hunt around here: there really are no apartment complexes. Most apartments are part of duplexes or fourplexes. Makes for very pretty turn-of-the-century neighborhoods.

Is hiring a broker worthwhile?

As much as I hate to say it, using a broker is a HUGE rip-off in Boston, but for your first move here, it really is the easiest way to go. The typical broker's fee is one month's rent and most landlords do not pay it, so expect that if you sign a lease through a broker, you will be paying 1st month + Security deposit + Broker's fee = 3 months' rent. For some apartments you need to have 4 months' rent up front since the landlord asks for the last month's rent as well. If you're more the frugal type, get the 3 months' rent and refuse to see any apartment that asks for first + last + security making it add up to 4 months once you add the broker's fee. If you don't mind paying 4 months up front, get 4 months' rent ready (for whatever budget / max rent you are willing to pay).

So yes, I think a broker is not a bad idea for your first move (if you want to move again in a couple years, you'll know more people and maybe you won't need it next time) to save yourself a lot of stress and hassle. But you need to have a good chunk of cash in the bank in order to do so. Note that if you work for a Partners (http://www.partners.org/) hospital (MGH and BWH are Partners), under their employee benefits apparently Partners will "guarantee" your moving costs including broker's fee and deposit. However, I have not investigated this benefit myself so I do not know what that actually means -- for all I know, it might just mean they'll lend you the money at no cost. Check it out for yourself under their employee benefits.

If you're planning a trip to look at apartments, expect that one broker will probably show you an average of 3-4 apartments in one morning or afternoon session. You can probably fit 2 brokers in one day (one morning, one afternoon). I was probably unusually picky, so we saw about 12 apartments before finding the one we liked (it was maybe #10). So if you have a friend you can stay with, and book your broker appointments in advance, you can probably find something in 2-3 days (however long it takes you to fit in 3 brokers). You will definitely hit the jackpot and find a suitable apartment that you LIKE before you see a fourth agent (I'm 95% sure).

Craigslist is a valuable tool but it is a lot of extra work compared to the broker, because you have to make all the appointments yourself and arrange transportation to all the different apartments in order to look at them. Boston.com is a better web site that allows you to search more easily but a lot of the apartments are still listed by brokers anyway, and listed multiple times at that.

Also... I had a very bad experience with a real estate agency called "Apartment Hub." Avoid. ;-)

This was obviously my experience. We were looking for a 1 bedroom in beaconhill because we wanted to be as close to mgh as possible. The partners thing, we thought so too... don't count on it. They don't pay for it, they give you a loan and then deduct it from your paycheck... don't remember the details but in our case it was not helpfull at all. I saw like 25 apts in beacon hill and it was not the best experience and they wanted 1st months, last months and deposit. Craigslist was the best thing that ever happened to me!!! We found a fabulous and huge apt for 1600 with a patio, directly from the owner so no fee and no deposit. We paid 1st and last and could have not found a better place.

I have lived in Boston for 9 yrs now while I finished medical and graduate schools but I have never paid more than 1350 a month for rent or mortgage.

As I skimmed through this thread, I noticed people kept mentioning the same areas and have missed two where you can really get good deals: South Boston and Dorchester. These areas have a very different feel than Beacon Hill, Brookline, and the like but are pretty similar to JP in many ways in that they are communities of neighborhoods that have a lot of blue collar folk.

Southie: I lived here for about 4 years and loved it. You can access the Redline at Broadway or Andrew station and there are buses that run down the main drags including the #10 and #9 - the former of which go through the South End to BMC and not far from NEMC. Two main streets divide it into quadrants: Broadway running east / west and Dorchester Street running north / south. East side is more gentrified while west side is more blue collar and run down in places. Parking can be an issue.

Dorchester: Many people don't realize it but Dorchester (hereafter DOT) is the largest section of Boston and very heterogenous. Many areas are not safe, e.g. Mattapan (or Murdepan if you prefer) but there are also a lot of safe areas in north dorchester where it borders Southie and the South End. I have lived in north DOT for 4 yrs now with my wife and daughter and never had a problem. My wife walks to the T (JFK/U Mass stop) every day and I normally take the #8 which goes through the South End not far from NEMC. I have also routinely walked or rode my bike to BMC without incident. My own community is near the intersection of Mass Ave and Columbia and a lot of young professionals who have been priced out of the South End have now moved here because they can afford to buy which is what we did. You can get a 2 br condo for about 250 k. I do not no the specifics of the rental market but I would be surprised if you paid >1,500 for a 2 br unit. Parking is plentiful on the street.

To save money consider not getting a home phone - cell coverage with Verizon in the city is very good and I have rarely lost a call.

Also, consider getting a bike. Traffic and parking in Boston is HORRID. At BMC, for example, the resident lot is about a 5-10 minute walk from the hospital! I biked in from home in about that long and locked my bike in a cage at the main entrance to the hospital. Yes, it can suck in the cold or rain but I did it during my 12 week surgery rotation and had no problems.

Hi all,

I'm going to be moving to boston this June for residency at BWH. My wife and I were thinking about living in JP, Brookline, or Newton. I was wondering what people thought of these places. I'd be interested to hear anything about newton (newton center) since I haven't heard much about it in the previous posts. My wife and I have 2 medium size dogs, so we'd like a place with some yard space or park area nearby. I'd like to take the train or bike, but in the worst case scenario I could drive. Would appreciate any opinions/suggestions. Thanks!

I am also starting in July and have 2 small children. Will be going to BMC. We were looking at brookline, newton, and needham. Anybody know anything about the schools in those neighborhoods and the commute to BMC - would one drive or take public transportation??

I dunno where exactly some of these hospitals are in relation to waltham. Its been awhile since I lived there. But has anyone considered waltham at all? My brother currently lives there behind some pediatrics hospital off of South Street. Its a great complex and I think he pays 1600 for a 1 bedroom. And its close to the mass pike and I-95. I realize its not a viable option for many of these hospitals, but its not far from Newton though.

Just throwing it out there as it might be too far of a commute. I'd have to pay attention more to what the OP is looking for.

Hi all,

I'm going to be moving to boston this June for residency at BWH. My wife and I were thinking about living in JP, Brookline, or Newton. I was wondering what people thought of these places. I'd be interested to hear anything about newton (newton center) since I haven't heard much about it in the previous posts. My wife and I have 2 medium size dogs, so we'd like a place with some yard space or park area nearby. I'd like to take the train or bike, but in the worst case scenario I could drive. Would appreciate any opinions/suggestions. Thanks!

Brookline is a very safe, pretty but *expensive* place to live. JP is much cheaper but will take you an extra 5-15 minutes to get to the brigham. Both are easily accessible by bike or walking. It's possible to find places with parking and/or yards in JP though. A lot of residents live in either JP (if you have families or you need space) or Brookline (if you prefer to be closer to nicer shops/restaurants). I don't know much about newton except that I think my PD lives there. Good luck

great thread- also going to Tufts-NEMC from TX and appreciate all the advice! how is parking in the south end/back bay area?

I'm surprised nobody is recommending the North End. It's right on the Orange line and it's cheaper than the South End. It's a charming neighborhood with incredible restaurants that is within walking distance to virtually everything. You might even walk to Tufts once in a while if the weather is nice and you don't want to wait for the notoriously slow Orange Line.

Parking is especially tight in the North End, but that's a problem in Boston writ large.

I don't know why everyone wants to live in Cambridge. It's inconvenient and overrated.

for a june 1 apartment, when is the better time to take a trip to boston to check out apts - early or late april?

I dunno where exactly some of these hospitals are in relation to waltham. Its been awhile since I lived there. But has anyone considered waltham at all? My brother currently lives there behind some pediatrics hospital off of South Street. Its a great complex and I think he pays 1600 for a 1 bedroom. And its close to the mass pike and I-95. I realize its not a viable option for many of these hospitals, but its not far from Newton though.

Just throwing it out there as it might be too far of a commute. I'd have to pay attention more to what the OP is looking for.

My personal experience living in Boston, and in Waltham and Watertown, is that in Watertown you can make it into Boston with only one transfer (bus and then subway or actually just a bus depending on where in Boston you're going), but it will take you about 40 minutes to an hour including walking to the bus station, getting the bus, and then crawling through traffic. If you decide to be suicidal and drive in, you're still looking at 40 minutes at least. Waltham is a bit further from Watertown and it used to take me 45 minutes commuting into Boston - on a good day. And I drove fast.

HOWEVER. They now have a new tunnel into Boston, part of the Big Dig, and so long as it's not leaking water from the harbor above, or collapsing on people, it can actually cut down a lot on your commute! So, take the above with a grain of salt.

Personally, I'd go with Somerville, as it's on the Red Line, and you can easily transfer to the Orange (or Green). There are also yummy eateries in Somerville, and Davis Square and Porter Square are cute areas. Somerville is pretty cheap, and I lived there too and never had a problem with crime. Brookline is another option, and nice (I lived there as well), but the Green line really sucks in my opinion. Brookline is also more expensive than Somerville.

If anyone wants to pm me on Boston neighborhoods with specific questions, feel free... although I think there's already a lot of useful info on here so I'm not sure how much extra help I can give.

Hi all,

Newton = pricey. It's on the Green line though, so you can get into some areas of Boston, although you may have to transfer. I also lived in Newton for a bit, actually quite near Newton Center, and it is a nice place with lots of dog-walking options! It's a really nice town, if you can afford it. I wouldn't recommend biking, but that's just me. See my prior post about Brookline. I don't know too much about JP, sorry!

Hi all,

You would probably be very happy in Newton. It's safe, quiet, and close to the hub. Newton Centre is very charming. There are parks.

Cons: Forget about buying unless you want to spent $300K for a 650 sf dorm room. Also, if you're interested in taking the train, your only option is the Green Line's D train. Hellacious. It's slow, crowded, and infrequent.

for a june 1 apartment, when is the better time to take a trip to boston to check out apts - early or late april?

This isn't really Boston specific, but in my experience, the closer you are to the time you're planning to move-in, the better luck you'll have. Most landlords look to rent at the start of the next month. That said, many of them will be somewhat flexible if you prove yourself to be a good tenant (and if you have decent rental references, you're a doctor, they'll be happy to have you). We arranged to split the difference on the place we're living in now. We wanted June 1, they wanted May 1 (it was early April when we were looking) and we agreed on May 15. We ate the 1/2 month extra rent in order to get the place. We looked in early April, primarily b/c that's when I had time to fly across the country and look. Late-April/Early-May would probably be the best time to look.

hi, how is east boston? there were some nice looking lofts there, and apparently talk of revitalization in the area (for quite a few years now though :confused: )

What do you guys think about living in Malden or Quincy and commuting to the Mass Eye and Ear?

What do you guys think about living in Malden or Quincy and commuting to the Mass Eye and Ear?

Somewhere on the red line would be a good choice for Mass Eye and Ear.

Pros: Quincy has 2 or 3 red line stops. It also has a commuter rail service to South Station. This city is still very affordable. There seems to be a big Asian population (don't remember which nationality). Quincy seems to be very working class :)thumbdown to any snobs!).

Cons: You're in for a long train ride. Quincy, though very historical, doesn't have all the cafes, restaurants, and boutiques that other neighborhoods have.

I used to work in Quincy for a time. Can't be of much help concerning Malden or East Boston (to the other poster).

jollyvulcan,

I don't disagree with you that parts of Dorchester/Roxbury are perfectly fine. for example, I don't think that BUMC is in the worst neighborhood, and I would consider living there. But too often good neighborhoods in D/R are on a block by block or 2 block by 2 block basis, and if someone's moving from another state, they can't be expected to know these details, and if I were them, I wouldn't want to take a place sight unseen or even only once seen in those areas.

Also the OP should beware agents and brokers who claim to be showing him/her buildings in the South End that area really in Roxbury.

Somerville and Cambridge are both very nice areas where you always feel safe. You can get a great deal in Porter or Davis, although it's maybe too long of a commute for someone doing surgery. If chinatown hadn't gentrified so quickly, I would say check out housing near there since it's blocks from NEMC. You can also check out housing near South Station which is very close.

Good luck with your search!

Anybody have any info about Revere? Safe area? Near the beach, looks nice.
Thanks

Anybody have any info about Revere? Safe area? Near the beach, looks nice.
Thanks

revere has a reputation of not being the safest -- though i have not lived there, only visited the beach. the blue line's pretty run down, but no worse than the orange line. airport noise might be an issue as well.

good luck.

Was wondering if anyone who knows boston and the SOUTH END could let me know where exactly i should avoid looking for places because of unsafe areas. I would like to be within 5 (maybe 10) min. walking distance of BU Medical Center, so I am only interested in any suggestions about the South End. Would it be best to stay east of Mass Ave?? I think I saw someone say that in an archived post. Thanks a lot for any help you can provide.