Good neighborhoods in Boston?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was wondering if anyone who knows boston and the SOUTH END could let me know where exactly i should avoid looking for places because of unsafe areas. I would like to be within 5 (maybe 10) min. walking distance of BU Medical Center, so I am only interested in any suggestions about the South End. Would it be best to stay east of Mass Ave?? I think I saw someone say that in an archived post. Thanks a lot for any help you can provide.

East of Mass Ave, north of Washington but these are not absolutes. I have friends that live south of Washington in nice areas but there are pockets of nice so you have to be careful. Also a lot of new condos just went it right by BMC (art block?) that are pretty nice and took a whole area and made it better. Albany is your absolute southern border and south of this there is nothing that is the south end. Welcome to Dorchester. Around Franklin Square, Blackstone Square, and Peters Park are OK to really nice. Union Park area is pretty gorgeous. For a 10 minute walk you won't want to be much north of Columbus. Beware as you'll find a ton of realtors and listings claiming the St. Botolph area is the south end. It's not. Not a bad area, but you're way up by the Prudential and Berklee (as in college of music) and probably farther than you want to be from BMC. Columbus is really the northern terminus of the South End. I really like the South End but I'm on the other end of it from where you want to be. 1/2 block north of Washington, 1/2 block west of E. Berkeley. I would go and look around at what's available before you rent/buy. craigslist is the best for finding stuff I think.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to cut in , but ....

I will be starting my residency at BID in longwood, and my wife will be at U. Mass Wocester. We are looking for a place where we can both live and have a reasonable commute. Any suggestions as far as newton/brighton/allston/brookline. I would be especially interested to hear if anyone has experiences commuting using the T from any of these locations.

Sorry to cut in , but ....

I will be starting my residency at BID in longwood, and my wife will be at U. Mass Wocester. We are looking for a place where we can both live and have a reasonable commute. Any suggestions as far as newton/brighton/allston/brookline. I would be especially interested to hear if anyone has experiences commuting using the T from any of these locations.

Framingham is a working-class neighborhood west of Boston that would be equidistant for each of you and you could take the commuter rail in. Any place like Newton, Brighton, Brookline would mean a much shorter commute for you and a much, much longer commute for your wife. If you are looking to keep it equal, go with Framingham, or look at places like Needham or Natick, both of which are extremely reasonably priced (caveat: for BOSTON!) If you have a car and leave early in the AM you should be able to drive to the city in 30-40 minutes each way and her commute would be about the same. Good luck.