Good Neuro electives in Philly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taus

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have some advice on where and with whom to do a Neuro elective in (or right outside) Philly? Getting a "big-name" letter is not important to me at all.... I'm just looking for the best learning experience possible with an attending that likes to teach and I want to come out very proficient in my neuro physical exam skills.

Thanks in advance for any input you may have on this.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have some advice on where and with whom to do a Neuro elective in (or right outside) Philly? Getting a "big-name" letter is not important to me at all.... I'm just looking for the best learning experience possible with an attending that likes to teach and I want to come out very proficient in my neuro physical exam skills.

Thanks in advance for any input you may have on this.

I found the PD of UPenn to be great. Probably a solid experience to rotate with him. The problem is coordinating when certain attendings are actually on a ward month (although I suppose you could rotate through their specialty clinic).

I recommend one of two books for the Neuro exam:

DeJong's The Neurologic Examination, or

Technique of the Neurological Examination (half as expensive, but really great text).

Members don't see this ad :)
I also interested in this topic. Would it actually be worth it to do a 3rd year neuro rotation at UPenn instead with one of Drexel's affiliated hospitals (friends, hahnemann, etc.)?

I also interested in this topic. Would it actually be worth it to do a 3rd year neuro rotation at UPenn instead with one of Drexel's affiliated hospitals (friends, hahnemann, etc.)?

Well, from what I've heard Drexel is at best a B-grade program.

UPenn is Top 10 US.

Hope that helps.

Being a MSIV who has rotated at both hospitals, I feel like I may be able to offer a unique perspective on this question.

At Hahnemann, visiting students have their choice of inpatient, consult, stroke, or outpatient neurology. I imagine you would want inpatient, especially with Dr. Schwartzman (the department chairman who also is very well known in the neurology world), if you are looking to learn how to do a good neuro exam. I cannot emphasize what a great educator he is...the MS (not resident) presents daily patient plans to him and he has (comprehensive) teaching rounds everyday (Saturday included).

At U Penn, visiting students are only allowed to sign up for a rotation through the neurocritical care unit via their online OASIS system (if you contact them directly, however, I believe you could arrange otherwise). This being said, being on the unit (especially if you are potentially interested in this, as I am) is an excellent experience. The unit is relatively new, 12 beds (around this at least), serving predominately neurosurgical patients (you round in the morning on everyone). The neurocrtical care attendings, particularly Dr. Levine, are very dedicated to teaching. The student usually follows two patients and presents their treatment plan for the day during morning rounds (obviously these are more comprehensive then inpatient plans).

In the end, you will not go wrong either way. It all depends on what kind of experience you are looking for.

Please feel free to contact me if you want to know more.

Penn is way overated! Hands down, Hahnemann has the best clinical neurology program in philadelphia. Period. Great place to rotate if you are a student.

i rotated there for 2 monthns in neurology, great clinical neurology program with an excellent chairman who cares about the residents and their education.