Good news for Pikeville!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Classy pikeville, naming a medical school building after a pollutant. Also, nice giant cross on the building.

Whether you like it or not, the coal industry is what has supported the Appalachian region for centuries. The region has grown significantly over the past 20 years, and that growth is 100% due to the coal severance taxes received. It's a part of the Appalachian culture, and it has been the livelihood of many families for generations. Is coal a pollutant? Of course. Is it a dangerous industry? People are killed every year. Should we be in the process of developing alternate sources of energy to get us by when the mountains run dry in about 200 years? Absolutely. But you have to remember that this region was built on the coal industry, and the new facilities at KYCOM would not have been built without the coal industry. It's really hard to understand it if you aren't from the coal fields, but it is what it is.

As for the cross, there are crosses on hospitals all across the country. I don't see what the big deal is.

Last edited:
Whether you like it or not, the coal industry is what has supported the Appalachian region for centuries. The region has grown significantly over the past 20 years, and that growth is 100% due to the coal severance taxes received. It's a part of the Appalachian culture, and it has been the livelihood of many families for generations. Is a pollutant? Of course. Is it a dangerous industry? People are killed every year. Should we be in the process of developing alternate sources of energy to get us by when the mountains run dry in about 200 years? Absolutely. But you have to remember that this region was built on by the coal industry, and the new facilities at KYCOM would not have been built without the coal industry. It's really hard to understand it if you aren't from the coal fields, but it is what it is.

As for the cross, there are crosses on hospitals all across the country. I don't see what the big deal is.

So we should expect an Asthma and Respiratory complications building next to it in around a decade right?

So we should expect an Asthma and Respiratory complications building next to it in around a decade right?

Haha there's already a large asthma and allergy practice just down the road from the Coal Building, so probably not. While it seems like that would be the biggest money maker in this region, the real money is in cardiology. Everybody and their brother has HTN, type 2 DM, and hypercholesterolemia AND they're currently remodeling one of Pikeville's 3 McDonald's - now that's what you call job security haha.

Look, I get it. From the outside, naming a $40 million medical training facility "the coal building" sounds trashy and unrefined. But I guess you just have to have an understanding of the community. It's a different culture here - not right or wrong, just different.

yeah it does sound different, but i don't see a problem. there are several large buildings called petroleum - in tulsa, dallas, los angeles etc. coal is still a necessary resource, it's what puts food on the table in appalachia.
and the coal building sounds a lot better than the massey energy building or don blankenship building (people connected with the mine disasters)
btw there are college buildings named after the r j reynolds family

Live in a big city and your lungs turn black within a decade or so.

I have......SO much trouble keeping up with new xx-COM schools. There has been at least one student on each of my rotations from a brand new school in who knows where. Idk where pikesville is, but i would hope that it has Pike.

I have......SO much trouble keeping up with new xx-COM schools. There has been at least one student on each of my rotations from a brand new school in who knows where. Idk where pikesville is, but i would hope that it has Pike.

I don't know that KYCOM can be considered a "new xx-COM" school. It was founded in 1997, making it older than Alabama COM, ATSU-SOMA, Campbell University SOM, GA-PCOM, LECOM-Bradenton, LMU-DCOM, Marion University COM, Pacific Northwest COM, RVUCOM, TouroCOM-NY, TUNCOM, VCOM-CC, VCOM-VC, and WCU-COM. I was still playing Mario Kart 64 when the first class matriculated, so I'm not sure you can accurately call it a "brand new school".

Besides, Michigan State only has a measly 28 years on KYCOM ;)

I don't know that KYCOM can be considered a "new xx-COM" school. It was founded in 1997, making it older than Alabama COM, ATSU-SOMA, Campbell University SOM, GA-PCOM, LECOM-Bradenton, LMU-DCOM, Marion University COM, Pacific Northwest COM, RVUCOM, TouroCOM-NY, TUNCOM, VCOM-CC, VCOM-VC, and WCU-COM. I was still playing Mario Kart 64 when the first class matriculated, so I'm not sure you can accurately call it a "brand new school".

I would consider it a new-er school, but it's certainly not brand new. It's actually kind of crazy seeing all of the schools that have opened since '97 :eek:

I would consider it a new-er school, but it's certainly not brand new. It's actually kind of crazy seeing all of the schools that have opened since '97 :eek:
Yeah totally. I feel like we just had a talk about this on Wednesday

Besides, Michigan State only has a measly 28 years on KYCOM ;)
Considering it just changed its name to KYCOM, you can't be shocked people don't have any idea about it and automatically associate it with being a new school.

Considering it just changed its name to KYCOM, you can't be shocked people don't have any idea about it and automatically associate it with being a new school.

I didn't mean to come across as shocked or outraged; rather, I was just trying to point out that KYCOM didn't just come out of the blue and that it has been established for some time now. I think the Internet has a way of making people sound angry, bitter, defensive, or what have you, so my apologies.

I hadn't considered the name change issue (I was an M1 when the name change took place, so I never really knew the school as PCSOM), but that's a good point. As for the number of schools that have opened since '97, is there really nobody out there lobbying for significant expansion of GME to accommodate all of these new students? Was the AOA aware that no significant GME expansion was in the works when they accredited all these schools? I'm trying to understand a little bit more about the AOA and this issue has always stumped me.

Yeah totally. I feel like we just had a talk about this on Wednesday

:thumbup: Indeed

... is there really nobody out there lobbying for significant expansion of GME to accommodate all of these new students? Was the AOA aware that no significant GME expansion was in the works when they accredited all these schools? I'm trying to understand a little bit more about the AOA and this issue has always stumped me.

GME expansion is a national issue, and it's not just the AOA. I counted 10 MD schools that have opened since '97...not as much as the DO schools, but it's significant nonetheless.

I will say though, it seems to be more of an issue for DO schools because they usually aren't affiliated with a university (or hospital). Just standalone schools that nobody has ever heard of.

:thumbup: Indeed

GME expansion is a national issue, and it's not just the AOA. I counted 10 MD schools that have opened since '97...not as much as the DO schools, but it's significant nonetheless.

I will say though, it seems to be more of an issue for DO schools because they usually aren't affiliated with a university (or hospital). Just standalone schools that nobody has ever heard of.

Just spitballing here. Is the AOA just assuming that the foreign MDs will be forced out of the residency slots thereby not necessarily decreasing the actual availability of spots for DO's?