Good or bad interview experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdoc2005

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since the interview season is upon us.... What have your interview experiences been like so far? What questions were asked? Was there a particular program that was great or terrible?

Members don't see this ad.

I remember one program where the interviewers were more concerned about a competing program than themselves.

Common questions I was asked last year:
-how do you feel about the future of males in OB-GYN
-what are you looking for in a program
-are you interested in a fellowship afterwards
-what is your connection to this area (why are you interested in a program in this city)
-what are your strenghts/weaknesses

Good luck everyone

I just had a few interviews, and here were some questions:

-Why did you pick Ob Gyn?
-What was your LEAST favorite third-year clerkship and why?
-Who recommended that you apply here? (you gotta name drop)
-How do you handle frustration?
-Present an interesting case that you saw.

Quick note about Emory... I had heard rumors that the program was in "trouble," but was very impressed with my interview experience. They have a great new Chair (product of Harvard) and are in no trouble at all. The residents seemed very happy, and their fellowship placement numbers are impressive. They are putting more energy into research beginning this year and are bringing in a new faculty person to facilitate research projects.

Members don't see this ad :)
kdoc2005, I must have seen you at Emory this weekend! :)

I completely agree, the interview day was excellent, very well organized, and we got to see all three main hospitals they work at. The residents were awesome as well.

See you all on the interview trail!

-kem

kem and kdoc--

Thanks for the Emory info. I'm going in December, and it seems like several people on here are visiting as well. How many interviews did you have and how long did each one last? Just curious...

Best of luck to both of you and everyone on the interview trail! Take care.

At Emory, everyone had 3 interviews (2 with faculty, 1 with a 4th year resident), and they were 20 minutes each. I was surprised about how quickly 20 minutes goes! The interviews I had were very conversational, not scary or designed to put you on the spot.

Good luck!

:) kem

kem said:
At Emory, everyone had 3 interviews (2 with faculty, 1 with a 4th year resident), and they were 20 minutes each. I was surprised about how quickly 20 minutes goes! The interviews I had were very conversational, not scary or designed to put you on the spot.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info! The interviews I have been to so far have been about the same. Good luck to you as well!

I arrived at a pre-interview dinner and the first thing anyone said to me was a comment from an intern..."so, can I talk you out of medicine?"

Not a good sign.

I just got back from several interviews and a few interviewers asked me about how many deliveries I've done. It's been a while since I've had any L&D and had no idea...just wanted to let people know to have a number in your head ahead of time. :)

Also, a bunch of people asked me about the difference in my step scores and felt like I never had a good answer for that. I guess if you have any weirdness in your application try and think of how to explain it!

Meeting people on interviews has been fun! Good luck everyone!

I've completed three interviews so far. Some interesting questions I've had include:

1. If I could stand you on a soapbox in front of 50 people and let you talk about anything, what would that be?

2. If you could take someone to dinner (alive or dead) who would you choose?

3. Do you like yourself?

4. What qualities do you think a good resident would possess and are you ready to fulfill those qualities?

5. What challenging ethical problems do you forsee yourself encountering as an intern?

All of my interview experiences have been great so far. I feel like narrowing down the choice is going to be much harder than I anticipated.

Other good questions:
[1] What is your greatest weakness
[2] Tell me about a difficult situation and how you handeled it.
[3] Where do you see yourself in 10 years from now.
[4] Tie a surgeons knot
[5] How do you deal with difficult people.
[6] Sell yourself (keep this short 3 main things people are impressed by you).

Good luck

P.S. Other good schools Indiana-Purdue, Albert Einstein-Jefferson affiliate, Franklin Square Baltimore

:) D

How do you answer the question, "Where else are you interviewing?" I've gotten that on 2 of my last 4 interviews.

doprogressive said:
How do you answer the question, "Where else are you interviewing?" I've gotten that on 2 of my last 4 interviews.

I was asked the same question in all 5 of my interviews! I answered honestly! Named the other places that I would be interviewing at. But isn't this one of the questions which should NOT be asked?? :mad:

HOW TO CLENCH YOUR SPOT!!!! And answer that tough question where else are you interviewing

Do not give specifics school but areas and why (unlessed pressed then only list a couple). If you list more than 10 residencies it may reflect negatively.

****Say I am interviewing other programs in the surrounding area because (my family is close, I like the environment, etc...have an unique answer for ea. location) then say
But your program ranks on the top of my list because I am so impressed with your (research program/residents/ comments from rotating students professor etc.). I hope you consider me a candidate.

i.e. for Temple
I am interviewing in the surrounding PA area at Albert Einstein and other places to be close to family. But your program ranks at the top of my list. I am so impressed by the diversity of pathology you see and the ability to do research. Rotating students at your institution I have met in passing made favorable comments (must know a student if they ask you a name). I can see myself being very happy here and enjoying all 4 years (stress this to make sure they know you are commited). As a plus I can bring my expertise in research to your department. I hope you consider me a candidate in your picks I definately want to come back for a second look.

After you leave write this message in a note to the program director and residents. Mention any specifics you enjoyed throughout the day. Keep in email contact with one of the residents.