Good pediatrics text

Started by tatabox80
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tatabox80

Super-Duper Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there,
I was just wondering what a good text for pediatrics would be for a family practice resident. I was thinking of getting Nelson's Essentials, but I was wondering if it were too detailed. I have blueprints, and first aid, but I'm thinking that they might not be detailed enough. Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there,
I was just wondering what a good text for pediatrics would be for a family practice resident. I was thinking of getting Nelson's Essentials, but I was wondering if it were too detailed. I have blueprints, and first aid, but I'm thinking that they might not be detailed enough. Thanks.

The thing about Harriett Lane, which I didn't know until a couple of days ago, is that it is a compilation of the work of all of the top pediatric specialists, who submit the different chapters.

Our peds faculty told us that there is basically nothing that you need to know about pediatrics as an FP that is not in that book. If you really think you will read Nelsons, go for it. I doubt I'd get through it all, and by the time I did, it would be out of date anyway. Good for reference, but I bet there is one in your program's library.
 
Here's my take on the question as a peds resident:
1. Harriet Lane for most quick reference stuff
2. Know that Nelson's is available in its entirety through MDConsult which many institutions have access too. So why spend >$100 on something you can access for free? Also Park's "Pediatric Cardiology For Practitioners" is available on there as well-probably a more frequently usable resource than Nelson's. Again, free.
3. Many people like Zitelli ("Atlas of Pediatric Physical Diagnosis") a mid-size reference with lots of pictures. I would think that Zitelli and Harriet would cover you for most things in-office. Supplement with online resources (Uptodate, MDConsult titles, emedicine, AFP [I still like to read it online since I no longer get it in the mail]...).
Last remember that some general references pertinent to FP's (or Pediatricians for that matter) have plenty of useful peds stuff: "Essentials of Musculoskeletal Care", a derm atlas...