Good place to do aways? School department isn't ideal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clockdoc89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anybody chime in on this? Place i'm currently at is largely run by CRNAs, thus students rotate with them. I'd like to do an away somewhere that will give me the nitty gritty of anesthesia and is relatively hands on (I understand i'm limited in what I can do just by being a student). Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Anywhere with a residency program should be better than that. As a med student, you really should be paired with a resident the whole time. If your program pairs med students with CRNAs, that's a big red flag.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do an away at Wake Forest. They have a great away rotation curriculum including simulation lab and lots of airway techniques to learn from (eg lightwand, and awake fiber optics that they do routinely).

I’m assuming his school doesn’t have a program. Go arrange a rotation at the closest place to make things simple.

I’m assuming his school doesn’t have a program. Go arrange a rotation at the closest place to make things simple.

Correct, it was closed down a few years ago due to some scandal or something. Is it worth it to do it at UAB or Wake Forest (just read on here those are great programs) if I want to apply there?

Ideally i'd like to do an away and residency at a place where anesthesia is respected and gets to do a ton..and maybe a little short staffed so I can get my hands dirty too :D

Reactions: 1 user
Correct, it was closed down a few years ago due to some scandal or something. Is it worth it to do it at UAB or Wake Forest (just read on here those are great programs) if I want to apply there?

Ideally i'd like to do an away and residency at a place where anesthesia is respected and gets to do a ton..and maybe a little short staffed so I can get my hands dirty too :D

2 great programs with solid national reps. It’s a good idea to go to a residency program to get a better handle on what the average day for a resident is like. Plus you can try to get an academic LOR which is helpful for higher-level programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Give UMiami a look- well respected department in the hospital, more work than people to do it, culture of letting students get their hands on stuff (at least when I was there). Also not a bad place to spend a month of your fourth year, especially if you’re in med school in a cooler climate.

Reactions: 1 users