Envision is offering $400/hr for locums. Too bad even that isn't enough

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noclaw

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been offered $400/hr to cover locums shifts for Envision.

I looked into it just a little bit, and the rate is for two of their sites in Southern California. The problem is that they are being kicked out of both sites in February, 2023. And the medical staff seems to have caught on to Envision's scam, because even though Envision touted "emergency credentials," the hospitals' medical staffs aren't playing ball. It seems very much to me that the hospitals realize that Envision is promising this desperation rate in order to get more physicians' names encumbered by a non-compete clause.

I am posting this not so much so that anybody will pursue the Envision contract, as much as I am interested in updating my colleagues on what the going rate is, as well as publishing more information about how obvious it is that Envision is cruising steadily towards ruin.

Specifically, I want trainees and recent graduates to know THAT ENVISION IS IN SERIOUS TROUBLE AND ONLY SERIOUSLY TROUBLED ANESTHESIOLOGISTS SIGN ON WITH THEM LONG-TERM.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users

I looked into it just a little bit, and the rate is for two of their sites in Southern California. The problem is that they are being kicked out of both sites in February, 2023. And the medical staff seems to have caught on to Envision's scam, because even though Envision touted "emergency credentials," the hospitals' medical staffs aren't playing ball. It seems very much to me that the hospitals realize that Envision is promising this desperation rate in order to get more physicians' names encumbered by a non-compete clause.

I am posting this not so much so that anybody will pursue the Envision contract, as much as I am interested in updating my colleagues on what the going rate is, as well as publishing more information about how obvious it is that Envision is cruising steadily towards ruin.

Specifically, I want trainees and recent graduates to know THAT ENVISION IS IN SERIOUS TROUBLE AND ONLY SERIOUSLY TROUBLED ANESTHESIOLOGISTS SIGN ON WITH THEM LONG-TERM.
Non compete is not valid in California. Not sure what envision would gain.

Reactions: 4 users
Noncompetes are solidly unenforceable in CA, to the extent I doubt any employer would try to get someone to sign one let alone enforce one. It would be impossible.

Just curious - does this involve that hospital in Walnut Creek?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

1. Non compete don't work in California

2. Envision isn't changing sites

3. Envision isn't recruiting locums for two sites

Not sure where you are getting your info

I just kind of shrug at these things now. Who cares if Envision is going bankrupt? If the pay is good for the workload and the work environment seems sustainable, go for it. If Envision went bankrupt today, every single Envision employee would be back at work tomorrow without missing a beat. The hospitals rely too much on the ORs. Who cares who is signing the paychecks?

Reactions: 3 users
I just kind of shrug at these things now. Who cares if Envision is going bankrupt? If the pay is good for the workload and the work environment seems sustainable, go for it. If Envision went bankrupt today, every single Envision employee would be back at work tomorrow without missing a beat. The hospitals rely too much on the ORs. Who cares who is signing the paychecks?
Agreed.

Some people tend to feel more comfortable being screwed over by the senior partners as opposed to an AMC.

1. Non compete don't work in California

2. Envision isn't changing sites

3. Envision isn't recruiting locums for two sites

Not sure where you are getting your info
Envision has an entire subsidiary devoted to nothing but filling the gaps with locum providers. It used to be called TIVA. It's now called Envoy. But, in a way, you are correct: They aren't recruiting for (only) two sites. They are recruiting for many more than that.

They are presently (as of this week!) asking for locums coverage at Fountain Valley, Marina Del Ray, Lakewood, Glendale, and "Presbyterian" (that's in my text, and I confess I don't know where that is; nor do I feel like looking it up)--and those are just the ones my recruiter is telling me about in Southern California.

They lost Riverside Community in the last year or two. They will be losing Loma Linda in February. (And it is widely rumored they they are going to lose Rancho Springs, Inland Valley, and Temecula Valley-unless they already have (I lose track). I put this statement in parenthesis not because I don't believe it, but because it's only a rumor, though their other two losses are confirmed.)

I'm happy that USC Ghost is happy with Envision. But Envision still sucks. Unless you are able to tell a very convincing story, you won't be able to get a job in a decent private practice once you've been full-time for Envision.

Attachments

• temp (1).jpg
    temp (1).jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: 1 users
Here's the text of the $400 offer.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 7.51.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 7.51.47 PM.png
    98.6 KB · Views: 206
I'm happy that USC Ghost is happy with Envision. But Envision still sucks. Unless you are able to tell a very convincing story, you won't be able to get a job in a decent private practice once you've been full-time for Envision.

I’m not so sure about this part. If you have good references, a clean history, and came to us with a convincing story like, “Envision blew up”, we’d probably take you. Maybe we’re not a decent PP 🤷

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I’m not so sure about this part. If you have good references, a clean history, and came to us with a convincing story like, “Envision blew up”, we’d probably take you. Maybe we’re not a decent PP 🤷
Yeah that’s weird. People discriminate against docs who’ve worked for AMCs? This is a thing?

Hospitals have safe harbor nuclear options to take employees in as w2 in house anesthesia model. Thus in almost any state in USA. When and if the hospital wants to use the nuclear option w2 in house for non profit 501c hospital.

Non compete suing by envision or any other amc will stand a chance in a court of law. (For the greater good of the community) argument.

What a bizarre (emotional?) thing to say.

Please elaborate.
I wouldn't be surprised if there are areas of the country where AMCs are still rare, so only the worst anesthesiologists work for them. It used to be like that in my neck of the woods. Unfortunately, nowadays it's either AMCs or big hospital systems, same devil different name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Non compete is not valid in California. Not sure what envision would gain.

Same in the New England states for physicians.