Good pm+r rotations in nyc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, i'm an MS3 thinking about pm+r for a career...does anyone know of good 4th year rotations in NYC? my school doesn't offer one, so i'll have to do an away rotation and am wondering which one i'll get the best experience at....thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend searching the archives of previous posts in regards to NYC rotations. In general, NYU, Mt. Sinai, and NY Presbyterian tend to be the favorite rotations for students. Each one of them is very different and none of them clearly stand out on top. They are more inpatient oriented compared to most other programs. You will always hear the Kessler in NJ is the better program, which is by far very true. Consider also looking at Nassau, Stony Brook, and Einstein, which are solid programs. My experience in Nassau, most especially with MSK, was great.

:)for med student rotations,

the kessler rotation is very structured. You choose a subspecialty to rotate in for example SCI, or prosthetics and orthotics, work with the faculty in that area and get a syllabus, notes to study, etc. it is very well structured for med students, and usually a good number rotate through.

the nyu rotation is less structured for students, but can use it to your advantage, you can get maxiumum exposure if you want ( or minimum.:) i rotated there and saw inpatient ortho, medically complex, sci, also attended MDA clinic, and general outpatient musculoskeletal clinic. the clinics are all in walking distance. you can also arrange a sublease in hospital housing, which i am not sure if nypresby allows.

the rotatins at nypresby are more spread out, and probably need to pick either columbia or cornell site for students. for residents who have more time to spend at each site its not a problem. in contrast to what was stated above, this residency program has the minimum amount of inpatient rotation required by ACGME to be an accredited program from what I hear.

not as familiar with mount sinai for med student rotations, but also a solid program.