Good programs for straight out of undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gestalt2006

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been browsing these boards a bit and have found them very informative! I was wondering if someone could give me some advice for my specific situation . . . I will be graduating in May, a fourth-year senior. I have excellent grades (3 majors, a 4.0) and a good SAT score (in the 1500s). I attend a large state school and academically I think I am good. However, I don't have much real-world experience with medicine; I did a bit of volunteer work in a hospital and I have worked a little in my parents' office (they are physicians).

I was wondering if anyone knew of good schools, preferrably with linkage programs, that are more geared towards/likely to accept people in my situation? I just interviewed with Bryn Mawr but they seemed to be looking for people with more experience; I definitely bombed the interview and would be lucky to get in at this point. Most programs seem to be looking for people who have lots of medical experience, and have a better grasp of the medical field. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

gestalt2006 said:
Hi,

I have been browsing these boards a bit and have found them very informative! I was wondering if someone could give me some advice for my specific situation . . . I will be graduating in May, a fourth-year senior. I have excellent grades (3 majors, a 4.0) and a good SAT score (in the 1500s). I attend a large state school and academically I think I am good. However, I don't have much real-world experience with medicine; I did a bit of volunteer work in a hospital and I have worked a little in my parents' office (they are physicians).

I was wondering if anyone knew of good schools, preferrably with linkage programs, that are more geared towards/likely to accept people in my situation? I just interviewed with Bryn Mawr but they seemed to be looking for people with more experience; I definitely bombed the interview and would be lucky to get in at this point. Most programs seem to be looking for people who have lots of medical experience, and have a better grasp of the medical field. Any suggestions?

So you're looking to complete the pre-med requirements? If this is the case, then you should be fine just taking them at either your undergrad or another four year school as a non-degree student. This would save quite a bit of money over a formal post-bacc, and it's not like medical schools are going to question your academic ability with a 4.0 and three majors.

If you do that plus get some more medical experience (maybe your parents know some people that would let you shadow them), and then score decently on the MCAT, you should be all set.

Contrary to popular belief, Goucher does take people straight out of school. There are about five such people in this years class (out of about 30 total).