Good programs with h1b; moonlighting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychemaster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me get a list of good (above average) psychiatry programs that offer h1b and allow moonlighting.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think such a list (encompassing BOTH criteria) is formally available anywhere.

You can look up and search by different criteria all Psych residency programs on FREIDA (from the AMA website) at

http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/srch/

You will see that one of the possible search criteria will include whether the program does allow moonlighting or not. Not all programs listed on FREIDA will, however, have a specific response to this question; some do.

A better way is to narrow your search re. programs of interest and, then, if you see they don't mention anything about "moonlighting", you could theoretically go to each program's individual website and see whether they mention this opportunity there, or you could even e-mail them and ask.

Re. the H1B visa, however, I really don't think there is a formal compilation anywhere. Typically, programs which are situated in major cities (especially in the NE) have traditionally sponsored J1 or H1B visas for FMG's for years; they are familiar with the paperwork; they have many FMG residents, etc. Smaller programs may also be interested. If you have adequate qualifications and a particular program is really interested in you and/or in filling an available spot, they may consider sponsoring a H1B.

There is an issue of perception, however, that you should be aware of: in general, programs do not really like advertising publicly or very widely that they have a large number of FMG's, because they are sometimes concerned that this factor may not be "attractive" to some US graduates. Realistically, however, for the specialty of Psychiatry, a significant proportion of residents are FMG's, and most programs are ultimately interested in getting/attracting the best qualified residents, regardless of whether they are US grads or FMG's, regardless of whether they are US citizens, permanent residents, or on visitor visas. Obviously, the programs will probably scrutinize with great attention your primary qualifications (where you went to Med School), your transcripts, your references, your scores on the USMLE's, your English language fluency, etc., and if they are really interested, they will sponsor you. You can make some direct inquiries to the programs themselves, and you will see that some program directors will answer you in a very friendly fashion, others in a more "formal" fashion (e.g. "we do occasionally sponsor an exceptionally qualified candidate if we consider him a good fit for our program"), others may ignore you completely (although probably very few will).

The NRMP site www.nrmp.org also has links to FREIDA, to ECFMG, etc.

You should also check www.scutwork.com for individual opinions of various residents who are interviewing in various programs and see some personal, quite uncensored opinions there. Some of them may include perceptions re. whether there are many FMG's in the program, etc.

I think that an underlying question in your OP is maybe re. whether more "prestigious" programs, affiliated with major known universities, and strong research programs, might also be FMG and visa-sponsoring friendly (or not!). Some of them might; I don't think there are any "special" rules. I really don't think there is a specific list anywhere, either. In general, most of the prestigious programs will most likely expect backgrounds of excellence in their potential US grad recruits just as much as for their potential sponsored FMG's. You shouldn't shy away to inquire directly. This will probably also show the program that you are interested in them. Most programs like that lots and lots of people are potentially interested in them. Most programs like to have where to choose from.

Here's a link from a previous discussion right here on SDN about fairly prestigious programs and the interview experiences of some SDN'ers http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=91380&page=1&pp=20&highlight=interview+impressions

All in all, you should first try know what's best for YOU: what YOU are interested in (career-wise, clinical interest-wise, research-wise, support-wise), where you want to live for the next 4 years, etc., and then start from there.