Good questions to ask programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vonmiller

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm now at the point where I'm going to begin deciding between schools. I'm from Virginia and applied to a lot of smaller instate MPH programs. I found that larger programs like George Washington have plenty of experiences and information about their program posted online as opposed to smaller state programs. So I was curious what would be some good questions to potentially ask coordinators of these programs.

Off the bat I know I'll be asking about potential funding or internship opportunities while I go to school. But other then that, I'm kind of stuck. Should I ask about their graduation rates? Their student's success finding a job post-graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'm now at the point where I'm going to begin deciding between schools. I'm from Virginia and applied to a lot of smaller instate MPH programs. I found that larger programs like George Washington have plenty of experiences and information about their program posted online as opposed to smaller state programs. So I was curious what would be some good questions to potentially ask coordinators of these programs.

Off the bat I know I'll be asking about potential funding or internship opportunities while I go to school. But other then that, I'm kind of stuck. Should I ask about their graduation rates? Their student's success finding a job post-graduation?
One of my friends is applying for her Masters in Higher Education and these were some of the questions she asked

1) What is special/unique about your program?
2) What is the most challenging part of your program?
3) What do you think differentiates a good student in your program from a great one?
4) What is the experience of going here like?
5) What research/internship/hands on opportunities/etc. are there?
6) Why did you choose to work at/attend this program?
7) Some sort of question about academic rigor (Preparation,classroom environment, tech requirements, etc.)

Before you contact a student or the admissions office, try to identify what is holding you back from a program and maybe focus your questions on that topic as well. My biggest thing is scholarships/financial aid so that has been my biggest question going into this. Hope this helps!!

Literally ask anything that is important to you. You're already in, there's no high stakes impression to make. Some thoughts off the top of my head--

- does the school have more of a research or practice emphasis?
- what would they say is X Department's strongest area of research? (even if you're more interested in practice, this will influence a lot of your experience there)
- where do people typically do internships, and how do they make those connections?
- is the mentorship structure very involved or more hands-off? how independent are students expected to be?
- when are classes typically scheduled? do most students have jobs (full time or part time?) in addition to school?
- what is the school's relationship like with the surrounding community? are they doing work that directly benefits their city/town/whatever?

Reactions: 1 user
Questions I asked included things like,

What does collaboration look like in your program? Are researchers in other departments at this institution generally open to collaboration? Can you describe some current collaborations?
Are there opportunities for lab-based experiments, if they are needed to support community-based or clinical research?
Do you currently have researchers working on [my particular area of interest]?
Tell me about some of your community partners.
What features do you think make your program family-friendly?
Social justice is an important facet of public health. Can you tell me about some current social-justice-oriented research in your department?
Talk to me a little about intersectionality and diversity in your program. What do you see as the value of diversity here, specifically?
Do many of your students have jobs outside of the school?
What does your program look like for part-timers?
Do you foster a strong sense of cohort among students? (If yes) How so? (If no) What do you see as the benefits of your more independent approach?
How much of a claim do you stake on students' personal time? For example, do students take time off between terms or are they expected to be available for school-based activities and research duties?

Having been in a deeply unsatisfying MS program for the last two years with almost zero downtime, it was very, very important to me to make certain I was entering a program that was a good fit for my values and the lifestyle I desire. I highly recommend being extremely discerning, and asking pointed enough questions to feel certain the program is a good fit for you, and your life and values. Look for inconsistencies in their answers; if the schedule is rigid but they claim to be family-friendly, that's an inconsistency. If they emphasize work-life balance but also state that most students do in-program work 60-80 hours a week, that's an inconsistency. Avoid programs that demonstrate these kinds of contradictions. Talk to current grad students if you can, especially if you can get them away from campus and maybe a little intoxicated. DON'T consign two years of your life to a program that isn't a good fit! No one will look down on you for asking questions that make it clear you're looking for a good fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user