Good read for inpatient psychiatry and principle of inpatient psychiatric management

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyMD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently posted in psych floor and kind of struggling to figure out what’s the basic principle of inpatient psychiatry and management in floor. It would be of great help if somebody could help me suggest/recommend any read/book for inpatient psychiatry.

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting idea. What is your inpatient population? Corrections? County? Private insurance? VA? Your biggest focus is probably going to be on the social work/placement needs of the inpatient, but it varies a bit by site type.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am at county hospital. I am super new to whole system and at the first year of my residency.

I am non US IMG with home country residency in psychiatry back home but I am really struggling with the ways inpatient psychiatry works in US and it’s basic principle. Looking for a suggestion for a good read about it.

Last edited:
Principles of Inpatient Psychiatry by Ovsiew?

I haven't found any specific books as a go to book for inpatient psych.

My recommendations are go up quick on meds so long as it's within the guidelines, have PRNs ready, be savvy in identifying malingering, don't hospitalize borderline PD unless it's severe (even then hospitalization is questionable at best) unless there's comorbid problems that also need treating, work with a great psychologist as a partner, also a great social worker, listen to good staff members, and foster leadership and teamwork cause whether you like it or not a doctor on an inpatient unit is a leader and not simply a member of the team.

Reactions: 1 user