good reading for prospective medical students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katusha

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting medical school in the fall of 2011 and wanted to prepare a bit by reading some first year subject materials. I was hoping you guys could recommend some books for me to look over, maybe something you are using as a study guide or just a good book to read before diving head first into my first year.
Any help is greatly appreciated! =)

Members don't see this ad.

Any non-medical book you can get your hands on.

Don't waste your time reading any M1 material because you won't retain any of it and whatever you retain will be insignificant compared to what you will be expected to remember for your first exam.

lol yea i get that one a lot, but I figured since i didnt take anatomy during undergrad i should at least go over some basics so i dont feel like a complete idiot

Members don't see this ad :)
lol yea i get that one a lot, but I figured since i didnt take anatomy during undergrad i should at least go over some basics so i dont feel like a complete idiot

Majority of medical school class didn't take anatomy during undergrad.

And the ones that did (like myself) think that it made no difference whatsoever with having some background in anatomy.

Alright fine, if you REALLY want to learn something, pick up a medical latin meaning book where you can learn basic latin abbreviation that are used in medicine.

But THAT IS IT!

You will thank me later.

Enjoy your life now; you will be fine learning what you need to know when you get to school. You will be busy, but everyone is, regardless of their background.

If you want to read about medicine, read books like "Every patient tell's a story" or books on the history of medicine - much more interesting than reading anatomy, and probably more useful also.

For a dose of reality, read "House of God" by Samuel Shem, "Hooked" by Howard Brody, and "Snake Oil Science" by R. Barker Bausell. Do not read anything more medical than any of those.

About anatomy, forget it. Medicine will take enough of your time and energy. Look at how much you've already given.

Spend the next few months and concentrate on broadening your horizons and doing anything that you have ever wanted to do other than medicine. Becaue once the tidal wave comes, there is no time to do anything but try to stay afloat.

read some books that address the business aspect of medicine because you probably won't get taught anything about it during your training

I can't believe I'm in a position to say this now, because last year I was pretty anxious and ready to get started too but don't do anything. Medical school sucks compared to college and I miss having a real life. The other day I went into a clothing store and it felt weird because I haven't been anywhere besides school, my apartment or the bar in months. Theres no need to pre-read for gross anatomy, its pretty basic and self explanatory theres not really any fundamental concepts you couldn't get down in half an hour that you'd need to begin, not worth it IMO.

read some books that address the business aspect of medicine because you probably won't get taught anything about it during your training

Good call.

Also read "How to choose a medical specialty" and other books about career development in medicine.

The medicine part of medicine is secondary to the career and networking part.