Good resources for conceptualizing cranial nerves & where they travel in head?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

urbanclassic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have them? I know what the CNs do, I know where they coming out in the skull, but I need something visual to help me conceptualizing where they go through in the head, and how they branch and make a cluster-muck of a mess in the head. lol. Any good resources for that?

Members don't see this ad.

Looking at an actual brain is your best bet, but short of that the diagram in Netter isn't bad. What I found best for cementing these paths in my head was learning what lesions in certain parts of the brain/brainstem would disrupt, so I'd also recommend reviewing clinical vignettes involving cranial never deficits.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check your library, you might have a computer that has a program for 3D anatomy.

I used to ask questions like this but realized it hardly matters. If you have a general idea then that's enough to answer board questions and exam questions correct, enough to do well on rotations too. True 3d knowledge is only required for a practicing radiologist or neurosurgeon. Grab any atlas and you'll be fine. Netter or theime. With so much to learn in 3 years this is low on the priority list.

I used to ask questions like this but realized it hardly matters. If you have a general idea then that's enough to answer board questions and exam questions correct, enough to do well on rotations too. True 3d knowledge is only required for a practicing radiologist or neurosurgeon. Grab any atlas and you'll be fine. Netter or theime. With so much to learn in 3 years this is low on the priority list.

Yeah, I may be going a little overboard. But I'm a visual person, so if I can visualize something, it makes it so much easier to remember than trying to do straight memorization. There are things that I just memorize that are a lot simpler... but there is too much going on for me to memorize efficiently, so I'd rather just know it.

I don't remember if neuro made rediculously simple covered this or not, but it made all of the rest of neuro super simple. Go ahead and get that book. If it helps for CNs or not, it will make the rest of neuro simple.

3580v1i.jpg

Anyone still have the 3D image representation of the routes taken by the various cranial nerves? I could really use it right about now, can't find any high resolution versions of it

I memorized them in discrete sections: first function, then where they came off the brain, then which foramen they went through. Anki, lab, and lecture notes did it for me.