Good rotation book...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baylor_eye

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you have suggestions about books that are good for the core Psychiatry rotation? I am not going into Psychiatry, but I would like to as learn as much as possible in my eight weeks and do well on the shelf board if possible. I am sure other folks would be interested as well.

Thanks...:)

Members don't see this ad.

BRS Psychiatry is great for board prep. It addresses which psychotherapeutic techniques are useful for the different disorders -- there were many questions on the board about this and it was something that wasn't covered in other sources.

For a text, you might consider checking Kaplan and Sadcock's Synopis out of the library. An alternative would be the Current t diagnosis and Treatment in Psychiatry.

On my NBME exam I don't remember having any questions about psychotherapy. Here are some high yield topics I remember:

1. Psychopharmacology and side effects
2. Personality D/O
3. Childhood D/O and developmental stages
4. Medical dx that present as psych (e.g. thyroid, organic brain dx, infectious dx, etc)
5. Illegal drugs (overdose and treatment)
6. MDD vs. grief (this one is asked on STEP 2 a lot)
7. Autism, Rhett?s, Asperger's, levels of mental ******ation
8. Psychological tests
9. Dementia and Delirium (be sure to know the diff dx of confusion in elderly)
10. Know what to do with an unconscious pt with no signs of trauma (thiamine, glucose, naloxone)
11. Criteria for Axis I d/o and treatment of choice
12. Ethics

You should also have a pocket version of DSM-IV and know the criteria for Axis I and II d/o

Members don't see this ad :)
I found the following $11 pocket book handy for figuring out how to word questions during a patient interviews, as it takes the DSM-IV criteria for common disorders and translates them into plain, politically correct English, i.e. what is a non-offensive way to ask if the person is hearing voices or purging after meals?

It's also a handy pocket book which can help you learn what the criteria are for the common disorders, and it has a rough outline for a mental status exam to help remind you what to include there as well.

Interview Guide for Evaluating Dsm-IV Psychiatric Disorders and the Mental Status Examination
by Mark Zimmerman

You can browse a couple pages here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0963382136/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-4482605-7156167#reader-link

At my school we use Andreasen and Black Introductory Textbook of Psychiatry and I've heard if you read that you can do well on the shelf. I've heard from a lot of people that the psych shelf exam is hard. I think this is because people underestimate it and don't realize they really are going to expect you to have some familiarity with the DSM diagnositc criteria.

Don't neglect the neurosciences and common neuro conditions-seizures/CVA/abnormal movement d/o for your shelf.
Hope this helps.:)