Good shoes for OR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstart108

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have some running shoe or clog recommendations? Also, which are more comfy, running shoes or clogs? From the few times i've worn hospital clogs they haven't been as comfy as I would've thought given how common they are despite generally looking pretty ugly.

Members don't see this ad.

Sanitas clogs.
Used to be Dansko. But they were sold to a chinese company and quality really went down. The original, good clogs are now called Sanitas.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Birkenstock Bostons. Clog style but open back with lots of ventilation. They have flat soles with no chance for rolling your ankle like Sanitas/Danskos. They also have a clog that has a back if that’s your thing. I like to be able to be able to take my feet in and out during long cases.

Been wearing merrell encores or new balance open heel slipons for the last 5 years. Would kill for another pair of the NB's but I think they're out of production.

Reactions: 1 user
Sanitas clogs.
Used to be Dansko. But they were sold to a chinese company and quality really went down. The original, good clogs are now called Sanitas.

They may be made in China, but my Danskos gave me 7 good years before finally kicking the bucket this year. On to my next pair. Can’t speak to Sanitas though as I haven’t tried them.

Regardless of brand, I (and many others) need the support the clogs offer. When I wear typical “comfy” shoes like cross trainers, etc. my knees and back start to kill around hour 2. Also in Urology, being waterproof is essential. Most athletic shoe uppers soak up “water” like a sponge.

Two important points:
1. As you can see from the above advice, many shoes are good for the OR, and you'll likely have to test out a few to determine which pair works best for you.

2. You MUST invest in your feet. Be willing to spend the necessary amount of money on OR shoes, dress shoes, etc so that you don't have foot problems during training and subsequent practice. Like many others, I got plantar fasciitis as a junior resident and it was a long and difficult road back to normal.

I wore Danskos for a while, and they were great for standing, but horrible for walking...and even worse for running. The arch is very exaggerated, and once you're used to it, almost no other shoes feel adequately supportive.

I also wore Keen and Merrell with little success.

For MY feet, Birkenstocks work best: the "super birki" with polyurethane soles (important detail, cork doesn't last). My arch is still supported, my fat feet have room to breath, but I can walk without slipping out of them constantly. Birkenstock Super Birki by Birkenstock at Zappos.com

Reactions: 3 users
They may be made in China, but my Danskos gave me 7 good years before finally kicking the bucket this year. On to my next pair. Can’t speak to Sanitas though as I haven’t tried them.

Regardless of brand, I (and many others) need the support the clogs offer. When I wear typical “comfy” shoes like cross trainers, etc. my knees and back start to kill around hour 2. Also in Urology, being waterproof is essential. Most athletic shoe uppers soak up “water” like a sponge.

Yeah. Your old danskos were probably before the transition. Mine crapped out. Bought another set. They stunk. Went to a nice shoe store. They told me about danskos / Sanitas.

https://www.medelita.com/blog/the-difference-between-sanita-and-dansko-professional-clogs/

I had a similar result with my new pair of dankso's...

I now wear cowboy boots in the OR. Nothing is more comfortable. I can wear them for the duration of an entire head and neck free flap and my feet and back do not hurt. The boots are also waterproof and much more stylish than any clog/birkenstock/tennis shoe out there.

Have used Sanitas and Dansko but personal preference are the Merrell clogs. Very comfortable and waterproof.

I had a similar result with my new pair of dankso's...

I now wear cowboy boots in the OR. Nothing is more comfortable. I can wear them for the duration of an entire head and neck free flap and my feet and back do not hurt. The boots are also waterproof and much more stylish than any clog/birkenstock/tennis shoe out there.
I have some and they are comfortable, but
I get way too hot wearing them.

Calzuro master race here. I couldn't do Dansko style clogs; their arch is so pronounced I constantly felt like I was going to fall forward off of them.

I wore Sanitas through residency, worked great for my knees and back.

Started getting bad foot pain though in fellowship and tried Danskos, which only flared up my plantar fasciitis.

Now using custom orthotics with high-end running shoe. All pain gone, but it took months and several visits to a podiatrist.

As mentioned above, don't cheap out on your feet. You'll pay for it down the line.

I wear a variety of different shoes depending on weather/case mix for the day (old running shoes, Dubarry boat shoes, currently wearing Allbirds on a light ear surgery rotation).

If I'm doing major cases where I expect to be on my feet for 12+ hours, I always wear my Birkenstock Profi clogs.

They're extremely comfortable, easy to walk in, rugged as hell, and easy to clean. Way more comfortable than Sanitas/Danskos.

As an aside, I'm a runner who's occasionally dealt with plantar fasciitis or other orthopedic issues, and I've never had any issues with the Birkenstocks.

74011.jpg

I am a runner and I usually run with Oasics shoes. After 12 months, instead of using them to run I use them in the OR. /repeat every 12 months

Well my original danskos made it 15 yrs until my dog decided to eat the upper. In theory my sanitas should last the same for the same price (actually much less because they were on sale, though I suppose that introduces the possibility they are knockoffs).

Hoka One One bondi 5 sneakers. Just make sure you wear shoe covers! But they feel like you're on clouds. I usually wear two pairs of shoes on long shifts to offload my feet. Hoka and Dansko are good for that.

Last time I looked into it, there was push back against clogs since the position they put you in can shorten your Achilles and distribute weight poorly on your hips. Does anyone have this problem? I’ve avoided them for that reason. Instead I’ve been doing prescription compression stockings and custom orthotics.