Good sources to learn about fluids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

medstudent7860

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know of any sources to learn about fluid management on the floor/in the ICU? My school never really taught us well about this, and I can't seem to find any good source to learn about them. I get so confused by all of the random fluids out there (D5W, D5300, D5200, etc.)...I want to know what all of these mean/when they are used.
 
I heard that the Fluid, Electrolyte and Acid-Base Companion is a good book for that stuff. I flipped through it, and it's structured very similarly to Dubin's EKG book.
 
Does anyone know of any sources to learn about fluid management on the floor/in the ICU? My school never really taught us well about this, and I can't seem to find any good source to learn about them. I get so confused by all of the random fluids out there (D5W, D5300, D5200, etc.)...I want to know what all of these mean/when they are used.

A rotation in nephrology. Seriously... they know and will teach you A LOT about that ****.