Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,
So I'm curious if what I'm experiencing is normal. I've performed very well on the USMLE, preclinical course work, and my shelfs this year, but I honestly feel very lost in clinic. It takes me forever to get a picture of the patients when doing chart review, and when I go in to do my histories and physicals I always forget to ask relevant stuff and complete important parts of the physical. I tend to get bogged down in the details of the encounters and a lot of times I find myself at total loss of a plan or direction when I'm walking out of the room to talk with the attending.
I feel like I have all the knowledge expected of me, but I'm struggling to put it all together when I have to be spontaneous and in charge of the encounter. I also rely heavily on notes for presentations, because it turns out real patients have 20 more things wrong with them than the standardized patients of year 1 and 2.
Has anyone been through a similar experience before during 3rd year? When were you finally able to see a patient and feel that you were competent enough to actually offer them anything? Should I continue to try to improve everyday and trust in the system, or should I be more worried?
So I'm curious if what I'm experiencing is normal. I've performed very well on the USMLE, preclinical course work, and my shelfs this year, but I honestly feel very lost in clinic. It takes me forever to get a picture of the patients when doing chart review, and when I go in to do my histories and physicals I always forget to ask relevant stuff and complete important parts of the physical. I tend to get bogged down in the details of the encounters and a lot of times I find myself at total loss of a plan or direction when I'm walking out of the room to talk with the attending.
I feel like I have all the knowledge expected of me, but I'm struggling to put it all together when I have to be spontaneous and in charge of the encounter. I also rely heavily on notes for presentations, because it turns out real patients have 20 more things wrong with them than the standardized patients of year 1 and 2.
Has anyone been through a similar experience before during 3rd year? When were you finally able to see a patient and feel that you were competent enough to actually offer them anything? Should I continue to try to improve everyday and trust in the system, or should I be more worried?