Good things about ENT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MS from AZ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,
I'm working on a personal statement here (~puking smiley) and I'm having some trouble articulating all the great things about ENT. Could anyone share what they think is so great about the field to help me get my creative mojo on? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys and gals,
I'm working on a personal statement here (~puking smiley) and I'm having some trouble articulating all the great things about ENT. Could anyone share what they think is so great about the field to help me get my creative mojo on? Thanks!

That's your first problem. A PS need not describe the good things about oto, but the good things about YOU. So, to help you out, here are some good things about "MS from AZ":

He (or she) is a honest soul, hardworking and full of integrity. He (or she) cares about the little things and is meticulous almost to a fault. Born of determination and devotion, he (or she) claims the words of Theodore Roosevelt, who once said:

"Far greater it is to dare mighty things, to risk glorious triumphs, than to rest among those poor souls who know neither victory nor defeat", or something along those lines.

Alright, just kidding. Well, not about the first part (about your PS being about you and not about oto).

For my personal statement, I didn't even mention the word ENT or otolaryngology. Try to say something other than what everybody is saying otherwise it is boring and not memorable... and people will probably not read past the first few sentences/first paragraph.

For example, I picked 3 important facets of my personal history (music, ice hockey, and research) and tied it into my desire to go into ENT (without actually saying it). I got quite a few compliments on the statement during my interviews.

When I was the one doing interviews, I distinctly remember reading one essay that I thought was great. Apparently, he was involved in an improv comedy group in college and incorporated that quite cleverly into his desire to go into ENT.

Great input! I'm glad I asked early in the writing process. Maybe if my name was BS from AZ this would be easier! Seriously though, thanks for the help :)