Good Trauma Elective Rotation????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

briangriffin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good trauma month elective for a resident. One that will let you do a lot, not where you watch while the attendings do everything. Im trying to set something up for next year. Location is not an issue. Thanks a lot.

-Brian Griffin

God tell me some people get the family guy referrence here.

Members don't see this ad.

briangriffin said:
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good trauma month elective for a resident. One that will let you do a lot, not where you watch while the attendings do everything. Im trying to set something up for next year. Location is not an issue. Thanks a lot.

-Brian Griffin

Try Vegas or LA county/USC

i've also heard good things about Baltimore. ahem, not the city.

Members don't see this ad :)
A number of our residents have done the Vegas rotation.

A few have done Miami (where I am going) and have loved it as well.

Some of our residents also have gone to Miami. They loved it. I've heard rumors of a resident a while back that did a trauma rotation in Miami and who also arranged for a week with Miami-Dade Fire Rescue's helicopter service. I think they operate 3 air medical transport helicopters that stay pretty busy.

briangriffin said:
Hey Guys,

-Brian Griffin

Are you a resident or student? If you are a student, OK. If you are a senior student, where will you get an elective as an EM-1? If you are a resident, in EM or something else? If it's EM, does your PD know that you think your program's trauma exposure is so weak, you need to go elsewhere?

for students, trauma @ advocate christ medical center (oak lawn, IL) tends to be very busy, and very hands on...

as for residents, i've also heard good things about vegas... then again, what's bad about vegas? =)

-t
Apollyon said:
Are you a resident or student? If you are a student, OK. If you are a senior student, where will you get an elective as an EM-1? If you are a resident, in EM or something else? If it's EM, does your PD know that you think your program's trauma exposure is so weak, you need to go elsewhere?

I'm a med student at the University of Nevada. I completed my trauma surgery rotation in Las Vegas. I can say that I was kept very busy with Q3-4 call, numerous procedures--central lines, chest tubes- you name it, if you jump in its yours to do you. We did have an occasional EM resident (from New York) come for a 4 week rotation, but there is plenty of work for you in spite of there being 3-4 surgical residents on service. The attendings usually hang back and watch the team work. Good teaching, fast paced and intense. Make sure you do the trauma surgery rotation (dont get suckered into doing the Trauma ICU/Surgical ICU rotation--its crit care, with a night of trauma call Q3-4). There are usually EM attendings hanging in the trauma bay, but they handle the lower level business, most urgent cases taken by surgical team. There's nothing like waking up to hearing that helicopter landing on the roof before your pager goes off. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions about the rotation or Vegas (I am from there).

Just guessing here, but maybe Henry Ford's trauma rotation would be good. If you're not looking for detroit, I would think U. of Maryland shock-trauma might be good. of course this information is word of mouth only, never been to any of them.