Good Undergraduate Institutions for ME

indianjatt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. I have been surfing through threads for a few days, but never thought about posting. Well today I thought I might take some advice!

I am a high school senior getting ready to do college applications, take the SAT again, and finish off a college class.

Well, I was wondering if the members of SDN would be willing to give me advice on good private institutions and my chances for some private institutions I have already listed. What I am looking for is a school that has a close student/teacher relationship (i.e. You can get to know them better easily and good letter of recommendations), easy access to research and volunteer work (i.e. schools possibly with a lot of medical facilities around campus or at campus), good pre-med advising, not insanely difficult (need a good GPA), and a high medical school matriculation rate.

Stats:
CA resident
Unweighted GPA (10-11; UC's) 3.86 (9-11) 3.90
Weighted GPA (10-11; UC's) 4.23
SATS: Retaking, hopefully for a 2000+, but at least 1900+
SAT II: Math 2 740
Chemistry 680
AP scores: WH - 2 USH- 3 CALC AB - 5
College classes: Two foreign language classes at a state university (10 semester units total. - A- and A- 3.7 GPA
Community College: Two math classes - got a B and a B :( Philosophy - A, and currently taking another Philosophy class right now (to compensate for my lack of rigor)

E.C.:
Volunteered 40+ hours at Stanford Med Center Vascular Clinic
Interned for the City
Program for 6 months that promotes Civic Participation
President of the Introduction to Investment Club
Robotics Co - Founder
CSF Member
Key Club Member
Won a County Honorary Mention for the Biotechnology DNA Video Contest

AP Classes this year: BIO AP and Lab, Stats.

UCLA
UCB
UCD
UCI
UCSD
Northwestern
Duke

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the schools you listed are definite reaches. It is going to be hard to get into the likes of UCLA, UCB, Northwestern, Duke, and possibly UCSD with an SAT under 1900.

You don't have a prayer at Duke.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I understand all other schools besides LA, Berkeley, and Privates are reaches and La, Berkeley and the Privates are super researches, but can you suggest more schools that I am likely to get into and are good for the things I have listed.

Thanks.

I am more familiar with schools on the East Coast and you may not even be interested in going there, but I think USP (University of the Sciences in Philadelphia) matches the criterion you listed. Private, close to facilities with pre-med opportunities, and not too difficult to get into.

Well where are you open to going? are you looking for any other concentration than pre-med? (for ex. you might want to be pre-med but want to go to an engineering school)

Even if you get 1900+ you should still be good with good EC's and Rec's...you have the potential to get into reaches. Make sure you make all your activities very clear and the focus of your application, that helped me alot.

You can get into all three of those, in my opinion.

UCSD is much more competitive than you think. It is not as hard to get into as Berkeley/UCLA but it is up there in the UC system in difficulty after those two. Not to mention they have a kick-butt medical school.

Yeah schrizto, they have a hard process, but I hope I meet their point system requirement. I think they use a point system rather than just evaluating an applicant.

Ey, I will definitely write good personal statements and make my activities clear. As to what I am looking for, I think I want to major in Biology/Chemistry. Engineering seems way to mathematical for me, history is my weakest point ever(Those AP essays always kill me) and they dropped my GPA lol, and others I might consider later on.

I guess I'm still just looking for those pre-med benefits.

You guys have given me such good advice! I appreciate it.

Yeah schrizto, they have a hard process, but I hope I meet their point system requirement. I think they use a point system rather than just evaluating an applicant.

Ey, I will definitely write good personal statements and make my activities clear. As to what I am looking for, I think I want to major in Biology/Chemistry. Engineering seems way to mathematical for me, history is my weakest point ever(Those AP essays always kill me) and they dropped my GPA lol, and others I might consider later on.

Depending on where you want to go, i would say that UC's are not a bad place to start, if your looking at Cali Schools. Occidental is also a good school to probably add to your list. I havent read through every post so sorry if i am repeating stuff, but financial concerns are also something to take into consideration. If you are tight and is a burden to afford a school, then look into where you will get the most scholarship. If it doesnt matter, then it doesnt matter.

You'll probably get into the following:

UCD
UCI
UCSD

UCSD might even be a safety. Get some safetys in there. Remember, that the UC application is all the same, it just includes checking boxes and paying the appropriate fees.

Same here, AP classes rape your GPA, especially when you decide to take seven in one year. On the positive side, you shave a semester to a year off of college. ;)

UCSD is much more competitive than you think. It is not as hard to get into as Berkeley/UCLA but it is up there in the UC system in difficulty after those two. Not to mention they have a kick-butt medical school.

Eh, I still think he has a decent shot there though.

You'll probably get into the following:

UCD
UCI
UCSD

UCSD might even be a safety. Get some safetys in there. Remember, that the UC application is all the same, it just includes checking boxes and paying the appropriate fees.
All the other UC's don't interest me. For a safety I have SJSU. lol