Technology Goodbye Palm OS, Hello webOS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StatCoder

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, it's official, now. Not only will there not be any new Palm OS PDAs coming but Palm is launching a new webOS with an iPhone-like touch screen. At this point it does not look like there will be any native backwards compatibility to run Palm OS software, although, I'm sure that companies like StyleTap will offer software that somewhat accomplishes this. It will probably be useful for some of those old-fashioned Palm OS medical apps that you've always used.

My question is what will all of you current Palm OS users move to this year? A smart phone like the Palm Pre with the new webOS with whatever clinical software availability exists at the time or will you move to something like an iPhone with about a one-year start in terms of software availability (and a few million units). That's a serious question. In the past, the Palm OS device usually was the one with the established software library where you could always assume that most clinical PDA software was readily available.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah it's all about timing. It seems that those of us starting M3 have fewer options. However, I've wanted the iPhone all along and my Sprint contract is up in May. So it works out for me.

Though I think the Palm apps will be remade quickly because they plan on making an App Store just like Apple has.

It would depend on the payment plans Sprint has to offer and of course, the cost of the actual phone itself. That and I really don't like 1st generation hardware, even if it is nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
For now, my Verizon Centro is working just fine. I'm taking a "wait and see" approach. It'll take time for applications to be developed for the new WebOS platform, and I'm sure the iPhone will continue to improve during that same timeframe. Either platform would require that I switch to another carrier (both AT&T and Sprint are inferior to Verizon in my area), so I'm not in any hurry.

My question is what will all of you current Palm OS users move to this year? A smart phone like the Palm Pre with the new webOS with whatever clinical software availability exists at the time or will you move to something like an iPhone with about a one-year start in terms of software availability (and a few million units).

I just moved from Immix (~TMobile) to Verizon this month as a xmas present for my wife (she didn't want a cell until now!). I'm really eyeing up the Pre, but the Sprint part is disappointing...I have already fallen in love with Verizon's expensive (and slow?) network with pretty good coverage. I still have my TX around which is now just a gloried addressbook/calendar that is almost NEVER in sync anymore between work, school, and gmail calendar =(

Not sure yet...still deciding on a school!

Well guess what, my 1st generation iphone (firmware 2.2.1) doesn't seem to like to work in Australia -- it was working fine in every other country, so I don't know whats wrong. The fluctuating 'no service' is very annoying -- SIM card works fine in any other phone.

So its time to buy a new phone. I could wait for the Palm Pre -- but it doesn't seem like its hitting asia for at least another 6 months or so; and I've always said no to contracts that trapped you in.

I've just started 3rd year so I need the skyscape programs -- which I don't think will be ported over for at least another year (think how long it took them to do it for the iphone! And even then, its on a subscription basis).

So I'm thinking I might have to go buy a centro -- am I being stupid over here? Or do you guys think I should really wait it out? I really need a phone now.

Well guess what, my 1st generation iphone (firmware 2.2.1) doesn't seem to like to work in Australia -- it was working fine in every other country, so I don't know whats wrong. The fluctuating 'no service' is very annoying -- SIM card works fine in any other phone.

So its time to buy a new phone. I could wait for the Palm Pre -- but it doesn't seem like its hitting asia for at least another 6 months or so; and I've always said no to contracts that trapped you in.

I've just started 3rd year so I need the skyscape programs -- which I don't think will be ported over for at least another year (think how long it took them to do it for the iphone! And even then, its on a subscription basis).

So I'm thinking I might have to go buy a centro -- am I being stupid over here? Or do you guys think I should really wait it out? I really need a phone now.
Well depends... It seems to me that you just got to Aussie. And they do have it available in their country so it might be the type. Have you tried a 3G iPhone to see if that works? Also, how long are you going to be there for? If it's only a month or two, why spend the money on pre, why not get a cheap non smartphone and use the iPhone when you get back to where you came from

Well depends... It seems to me that you just got to Aussie. And they do have it available in their country so it might be the type. Have you tried a 3G iPhone to see if that works? Also, how long are you going to be there for? If it's only a month or two, why spend the money on pre, why not get a cheap non smartphone and use the iPhone when you get back to where you came from

I'll be here for at least 2 years. If the pre can make it out over here without a contract within a few months I'll wait but I highly doubt it.

Friends 3g iphones work fine. Theres something wrong with my phone over here -- i've tried to reset it and restore it with no such luck.

It might be that they only have a 3G network.

Anyway if you do get a new phone why not get another iPhone. Were there problems with it you didn't like?

It might be that they only have a 3G network.

Anyway if you do get a new phone why not get another iPhone. Were there problems with it you didn't like?

I don't want to be locked into a contract. Its expensive because you'll need to sign up for a data package as well. There is hardly any useful medical software for the iphone (its getting there).

On Palm I have 5 minute clinical consult, Oxford Clinical Medicine, Harrisons, Steadman, etc at my finger tips.

I don't want another iphone because I've been there, done that -- looking towards the palm pre actually :)

I don't want to be locked into a contract. Its expensive because you'll need to sign up for a data package as well. There is hardly any useful medical software for the iphone (its getting there).

On Palm I have 5 minute clinical consult, Oxford Clinical Medicine, Harrisons, Steadman, etc at my finger tips.

I don't want another iphone because I've been there, done that -- looking towards the palm pre actually :)
If you want medical software I'd reconsider the Palm Pre, it isn't backwards compatible and I wouldn't expect much medical software for it unless and until it starts selling well.

If you want medical software I'd reconsider the Palm Pre, it isn't backwards compatible and I wouldn't expect much medical software for it unless and until it starts selling well.

Yep def. What PDA are you guys using on your ward rounds? I tried using my gf windows HTC touch and it was a total disaster. I think I'll stick with Palm.
--

My lord, I just looked at my profile and I'm a 5+ year member. Have I really been on these boards for that long??

Last edited:
Yep def. What PDA are you guys using on your ward rounds? I tried using my gf windows HTC touch and it was a total disaster. I think I'll stick with Palm.
--

My lord, I just looked at my profile and I'm a 5+ year member. Have I really been on these boards for that long??
I'm using an unbranded/unlocked Treo 680. I love it. If you want something a little smaller, don't mind a slightly smaller keyboard and screen, and aren't bothered by paying more than twice as much you should go for the Palm Centro from Sprint, it has double the user memory of any of the other Centro models. You can get a brand new unlocked/unbranded Treo 680 with no contract for ~$160-170. A New Centro from Sprint is $400 without a 2-year contract.

The centro over here sells for less then <$200 USD with a pre-paid provider, if you're smart enough you can even get it unlocked for a small fee.

I'm planning to buy mine over ebay. I'm going to bite the bullet on this one and hope that it is going to be $200.00 well spent.

you know what else worries me?...battery life. The Palm TX made a great advance when it comes to battery life if you compare with the previous Tungsten E. But with all the rest of the built in features of a cell phone...umm well, i´m not sure, you know how a bad signal can drain the battery, and i for sure don´t wanna find a discharged device when i most need it.

The centro over here sells for less then <$200 USD with a pre-paid provider, if you're smart enough you can even get it unlocked for a small fee.

I'm planning to buy mine over ebay. I'm going to bite the bullet on this one and hope that it is going to be $200.00 well spent.
You're lucky, Australia is the only country where the Centro is being offered pre-paid. Personally, I don't like the smaller keyboard and screen on the Centro. The keyboard on the Treo 680 is small enough.

you know what else worries me?...battery life. The Palm TX made a great advance when it comes to battery life if you compare with the previous Tungsten E. But with all the rest of the built in features of a cell phone...umm well, i´m not sure, you know how a bad signal can drain the battery, and i for sure don´t wanna find a discharged device when i most need it.
You can turn the cellurlar radio, camera, bluetooth, & IR off if you want better battery life. With all that turned off I can get 3+ days of regular use on my Treo 680.

If battery life is a big concern I would suggest going for the Treo 755p, it is identical to the 700p but lacks the antenna, so it's based on the last generation design in deference to the Treo 680 & Centro but its battery has a ~33% larger capacity.

Last edited:
Anyone else also a little dissappointed by only 8 gigs of memory?

I don't recall seeing a sd/microsd slot either and I didn't see one in the pics. I'd hope for an 8 gig with a mem slot (to compete with the 8 and 16 gig iphone) or a 16 gig outright.

Anyone else also a little dissappointed by only 8 gigs of memory?

I don't recall seeing a sd/microsd slot either and I didn't see one in the pics. I'd hope for an 8 gig with a mem slot (to compete with the 8 and 16 gig iphone) or a 16 gig outright.
No memory slot of any kind. Major drawback. I can shove 32 GB of flash in my Treo 680.

I'm still interested, just a little bummed.

Any idea when it's going to hit US? I'm suspecting August...anyone else?

Alright just got my Palm Centro and I'm loving this little thing. OS might be a little outdated but it sure as hell beats my iphone in functionality.

I can look up info in steadman, 5 minute clinical consult, dxsauraus, atozdrugs in seconds. My iphone can't even start a program in that amount of time.

The phone is also usable with ONE hand which I'm beginning to realize how helpful that is especially when you're a busy med student with pen and paper on the other hand. Size is great and it FITS in my front pocket, unlike my iphone. Ringer can be set to extremely loud.

In addition, I have some GPS software built in and I've paired it up with my garmin gps receiver and it works spectacularly.

I've also managed to use isync to sync across all my contacts and calender from my mac onto my palm without any problems.

Scheduling is a breeze. The only thing I miss about my iphone is the web browser -- I'm stuck with the palm crummy browser or mini opera which tends to crash a lot.

If you guys are looking for a cheap and VERY useful phone (because of all the skyscape programs available) I would recommend the Centro. Right now the skyscape programs for the iphone are on a subscription based model -- and if you're smart, you'll know how to by-pass the limitations of the skyscape demos (not that I'm advocating it, but I'm just a poor student right now).