Goodbye to top schools? -- Will high school courses sink me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noflag

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone who had a similar situation could give me their experiences?

So I found out that two university courses I took at a summer program in high school, during 10th grade, (6 credits) will count towards my AMCAS gpa. Unknowingly I didn't do too well in terms of college standards but I was in 10th grade and it was a top 10 university.

Without the HS classes my cGPA is a 3.7 and BCPM is a 3.64. With the two B-'s it is a cGPA 3.63 and BCPM 3.53.

Do you think I'm out of contention for schools like (NYU, Sinai, Duke)? Have a good MCAT (33-34) and good ECs

Members don't see this ad.

meaning I never had a shot? or that it might be alright. just wondering if i should take those schools off my list. thanks
It won't make much difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering if anyone who had a similar situation could give me their experiences?

So I found out that two university courses I took at a summer program in high school, during 10th grade, (6 credits) will count towards my AMCAS gpa. Unknowingly I didn't do too well in terms of college standards but I was in 10th grade and it was a top 10 university.

Without the HS classes my cGPA is a 3.7 and BCPM is a 3.64. With the two B-'s it is a cGPA 3.63 and BCPM 3.53.

Do you think I'm out of contention for schools like (NYU, Sinai, Duke)? Have a good MCAT (33-34) and good ECs

Stop worrying about acceptance, and do the best you can right now.

Reactions: 1 user
The schools also get dates associated with the coursework. They can do the math.

Reactions: 2 users
It will make no difference when it comes to medical school admissions.

For future reference, if it seems silly that something (like a B in high school) making a large negative impact on your admissions process, it most likely is. Despite what a lot of people on SDN and elsewhere like to claim, it is an incredibly logical process.

Reactions: 1 users
It's not that it'll actively hurt you, it's just that so many othera took classes for college credit (myself included) and took them seriously and got A's, so it won't be ignored. Also, if your really that concerned about getting into a top school, here's the dirty truth: (and I've learned this as a rising second-year undergrad at a respectable, albeit only top 40, state school) you NEED near a 4.0 or a high MCAT (35+) to even be considered if you're not at a top undergrad already. Although some top schools have some grade inflation, they're all still given significantly more preference and leeway (which is a huge disadvantage for students of grade deflating top schools, such as Princeton or JHU). If you're not at a highly ranked undergrad, you need to not only be one of the brightest students at your school in terms of numbers, but also need stellar EC's and research. Essentially, your application needs to be noticably better than other applications from top school undergrad students who get admitted. I inform you and other readers of this now so that you, they (and I) can know exactly what to expect and what to do down the road. Adcoms may disagree with what I'm saying, but data, such as undergrad schools of med students at top 20 schools, back my claim up.

Last edited:
Yeah I see your point. I'm at a t10 school undergrad and have seen people with decent but not stellar numbers get into top med schools but I wouldn't go as far as saying that it helps that much.

I think it's just that a top undergrad may make it slightly easier to find good research and ECs to get involved with early on in your career than a larger state school. I don't think the disparity of what undergrad you went to is that large however.

Just my thoughts.

It's not that it'll actively hurt you, it's just that so many othera took classes for college credit (myself included) and took them seriously and got A's, so it won't be ignored. Also, if your really that concerned about getting into a top school, here's the dirty truth: (and I've learned this as a rising second-year undergrad at a respectable, albeit only top 40, state school) you NEED near a 4.0 or a high MCAT (35+) to even be considered if you're not at a top undergrad already. Although some top schools have some grade inflation, they're all still given significantly more preference and leeway (which is a huge disadvantage for students of grade deflating top schools, such as Princeton or JHU). If you're not at a highly ranked undergrad, you need to not only be one of the brightest students at your school in terms of numbers, but also need stellar EC's and research. Essentially, your application needs to be noticably better than other applications from top school undergrad students who get admitted. I inform you and other readers of this now so that you, they (and I) can know exactly what to expect and what to do down the road. Adcoms may disagree with what I'm saying, but data, such as undergrad schools of med students at top 20 schools, back my claim up.

Meaning a lower gpa from a top undergrad is not going to equal a good gpa from a state school. There will be some leeway but I think the reason why top undergrads matriculate at certain med schools is due to other opportunities undergrad schools make easily available

There are so many things wrong with this statement I don't even know where to start.

1. No one will care that you got Bs in high school. In fact, it can really only be seen as a positive because it shows a desire to challenge yourself academically from a young age.

2. Your blanket statement about "needing near a 4.0" (whatever "near" means.. is that 3.99 or 3.8 or what?) has absolutely no evidence to back it up. Yes of course you need a high GPA to get into a top school, but getting a 3.7 from x state university is not going to bar you from getting into a top ten med school.

3. Med schools are not stupid. They understand concepts like grade deflation and they understand that getting a 3.6 from Princeton is an excellent GPA.

4. Lastly, your statement, "..but data, such as undergrad schools of med students at top 20 schools, back my claim up." This is ridiculous. This is not evidence and it does not back up your claim. It is a well known phenomina where high achieving students continue to achieve.. highly. The smartest, hardest working, most dedicated, most determined students self select into top schools for undergrad. they do well at top schools and are thus once again the most desirable students going into med school admissions.

Reactions: 4 users
There are so many things wrong with this statement I don't even know where to start.

1. No one will care that you got Bs in high school. In fact, it can really only be seen as a positive because it shows a desire to challenge yourself academically from a young age.

2. Your blanket statement about "needing near a 4.0" (whatever "near" means.. is that 3.99 or 3.8 or what?) has absolutely no evidence to back it up. Yes of course you need a high GPA to get into a top school, but getting a 3.7 from x state university is not going to bar you from getting into a top ten med school.

3. Med schools are not stupid. They understand concepts like grade deflation and they understand that getting a 3.6 from Princeton is an excellent GPA.

4. Lastly, your statement, "..but data, such as undergrad schools of med students at top 20 schools, back my claim up." This is ridiculous. This is not evidence and it does not back up your claim. It is a well known phenomina where high achieving students continue to achieve.. highly. The smartest, hardest working, most dedicated, most determined students self select into top schools for undergrad. they do well at top schools and are thus once again the most desirable students going into med school admissions.

Not exactly. It does not matter where you go. It matters how you do.

Members don't see this ad :)
The MCAT will likely hold you back more than the difference between those grades. Medians for the top schools tend to hover around 36-37.

1. No it can, in fact, be seen as neutral, because plenty of high school students take college courses and get A grades
2. The only people who have gotten into top schools from my school have had 3.85 gpa or above. Whereas at other top undergrads, getting simply a 3.6 is enough to have a shot at top schools
3. Yes, that specifically is an excellent GPA, but I was being more general, and suggesting that relative to other students at top schools (which are more grade inflating), students at Princeton will be more disadvantaged. Whether they are able to break through this disadvantage and earn a good GPA, such as 3.6, is up to them, but I was suggesting that the students as a whole have a disadvantage.
4. Self-selection is, of course, a significant characteristic of the students who attend top schools, but when you see the list of undergrad schools of certain top med school students, it's fairly apparent that self-selection cannot solely account for applicants from top undergrads making up around 70-80% of the med school class.

I'm not saying it's an impossible feat, but if your stats are average or slightly above average for a premed at an undergrad that is not perceived as a top undergrad, your chances of making it into a top med school are unlikely. I want to convey this now to minimize unwanted/unexpected outcomes later.

OP, this is to you: go ahead and apply to top schools, but don't completely expect acceptance with your stats (which nonetheless are very good, don't get me wrong). It doesn't seem like going to a top school for you is "be all end all", and that's a good thing. Applying too top-heavy is a mistake that countless applicants make each year, so have some reach schools, and some less selective but reputable MD schools (assuming your non-quantitative credentials suffice), and you will be fine.

There's so much wrong with your statement @cloudmurder1 , but if that's what you believe go forth and prosper.

As for the OP, two B-'s will not make a significant difference. If anything, just prepare an answer as to why you did not do as well as you'd hope, and what you learned from the experience.

There's so much wrong with your statement @cloudmurder1 , but if that's what you believe go forth and prosper.

As for the OP, two B-'s will not make a significant difference. If anything, just prepare an answer as to why you did not do as well as you'd hope, and what you learned from the experience.

What is wrong with it? Are you a contradiction of it? Do you know someone who is? I'm eager to learn more about this process that'll I'll be going through in a few years, so if you've seen something, I'd be happy to know.

What is wrong with it? Are you a contradiction of it? Do you know someone who is? I'm eager to learn more about this process that'll I'll be going through in a few years, so if you've seen something, I'd be happy to know.

HS courses dipped my gpa by like 0.1, and it wasn't a big deal. I was worried just like you back when I found out I had to report them, so I feel your pain, but don't worry.

Read and learn... There are more than 15,000 different paths to medical school every year... students from small schools you've never heard of get in as well as those from big state schools and elite liberal arts colleges and prestigious research universities. You can only take one path... you can't enter two schools right out of HS so we really can't say that for a given student path A > path B. This is not investment banking .... slow down and listen more. You'll be ready to offer advice after you've been through the process.

Reactions: 3 users

What's wrong with it is that there is nothing you've said that is remotely accurate. A simple look at MSAR or any school's website will prove you wrong.

The fact is that you have no idea what you're talking about and you're acting like an authority. You need to stop typing and start reading.

1. No it can, in fact, be seen as neutral, because plenty of high school students take college courses and get A grades
2. The only people who have gotten into top schools from my school have had 3.85 gpa or above. Whereas at other top undergrads, getting simply a 3.6 is enough to have a shot at top schools
3. Yes, that specifically is an excellent GPA, but I was being more general, and suggesting that relative to other students at top schools (which are more grade inflating), students at Princeton will be more disadvantaged. Whether they are able to break through this disadvantage and earn a good GPA, such as 3.6, is up to them, but I was suggesting that the students as a whole have a disadvantage.
4. Self-selection is, of course, a significant characteristic of the students who attend top schools, but when you see the list of undergrad schools of certain top med school students, it's fairly apparent that self-selection cannot solely account for applicants from top undergrads making up around 70-80% of the med school class.

I'm not saying it's an impossible feat, but if your stats are average or slightly above average for a premed at an undergrad that is not perceived as a top undergrad, your chances of making it into a top med school are unlikely. I want to convey this now to minimize unwanted/unexpected outcomes later.

OP, this is to you: go ahead and apply to top schools, but don't completely expect acceptance with your stats (which nonetheless are very good, don't get me wrong). It doesn't seem like going to a top school for you is "be all end all", and that's a good thing. Applying too top-heavy is a mistake that countless applicants make each year, so have some reach schools, and some less selective but reputable MD schools (assuming your non-quantitative credentials suffice), and you will be fine.

This is a list of the school's that were represented at Harvard Med revisit, certainly a lot of top undergrads... but like others have said, there are many different paths (which IMO is the greatest thing about the journey to med school)
upload_2015-5-19_15-25-57.png

This is a list of the school's that were represented at Harvard Med revisit, certainly a lot of top undergrads... but like others have said, there are many different paths (which IMO is the greatest thing about the journey to med school)
View attachment 192242

Is this for one year's admitted class? Or is this across multiple years?

Is this for one year's admitted class? Or is this across multiple years?
That is for this year's accepted class (so those that will matriculate in the fall) ...or at least the people they had accepted up until second look day.