Goodbye Vet Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe SOV will pull a Brett Favre and come back like "Just kidding, still here!" (Hopefully it doesn't degenerate into showing people inappropriate pictures over PMs and have MrsSOV evaluate their validity based on her carnal knowledge...)
Haha, I was just thinking something like this. What if he was having a serious lack of self-esteem, and posted his "goodbye" so he'd see what people really thought of him.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The vet med community is awesome. I can't see why you'd give it up SOV, but hey, we all have to move on someday, so do what you must. From one old dude to another, best of luck, and thanks for introducing me to WW.
iW4rLppzfHB2J.gif
 
The vet med community is awesome. I can't see why you'd give it up SOV, but hey, we all have to move on someday, so do what you must. From one old dude to another, best of luck, and thanks for introducing me to WW.
iW4rLppzfHB2J.gif
Tangent: Robert Redford's beard is glorious. The kind mine aspires to be like. Also, Kurt Russell's in The Thing.

52184.jpg
 
One serious post (then off to productivity)...

I didn't leave SDN entirely on a whim... and the reason may be helpful for some people to know if they find themselves in my situation...

After leaving vet school, I have to admit it was a lot tougher than I thought (and I knew it would be a little rough)...
I was pretty down in the dumps as the winter wore on ... Didn't really have much to do with myself... wasn't sure how to move forward....

And I think SDN was kind of reminding me of everything that I had given up, so it was a little like constantly reopening the wound. It is not like I thought I made the wrong decision (I didn't, it was right for me and my health and my sanity)... just that a big hole was left in my life.

Spring coming helped a bit as I could get out and do more stuff, and now that I am making plans for my potential futures.... the rawness of the wound is receding...

So I guess now I can come here, and not be AS grumpy and moody as before (of course you can't take all the grump out of me)...

The moral of the story: if you decide to give up on vet med, know that you may still feel sh*tty about yourself for a while, even though there is absolutely no reason for you to feel that way... but eventually, you will get over it..

ps Sorry to have been a little drama queen, but I think saying goodbye here, maybe helped me finally come to terms with the breakup with vet med. Now I want a new sexy date!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I haven't been active on SDN very long, but I lurked for a while, made an account around a year ago, and continued to mostly lurk. All this to say that though we don't really know each other, I'm glad you're back SOV!

And now I feel creepy...
Haha, don't worry, I was about to say the same thing! Welcome back SOV! :welcome:

Maybe we are both creepy? :ninja:
 
For anyone who reads this thread (the serious parts) in the future.....

Thought I should update you with how things turned out with this decision....

The first 6 months after my decision were quite honestly very difficult. As much as I felt I was making the right decision, it was hard to accept the loss of something I had worked so hard at for so many years (about 7 in my case). I had to leave SDN for a while as just being in touch with everyone left me a little bitter (imagine cranky curmudgeon more bitter than usual😱)... But in time, as with anything, acceptance came and life went on.

Things got much better once I was able to move on with my life. I am now working at something I really, really enjoy, and even though I probably couldn't make any less money than I am now (really you couldn't), I am happy. There is no bitterness left about how things played out, and based on the conversations I have with those who I would have graduated with, I don't see how I would have been better off in any way by pushing through. I just enjoy every day so much now, and I haven't been able to say that for a long, long time.

Sure, I still want to learn more, and I check back at lecture notes from time to time when something comes up with my own pets, but I think things worked out for the best for me.

For anyone else out there who is contemplating moving on for whatever reason, I encourage you to do what you think is best for you. Life will go on, you will get over the sadness of being unable to complete one dream, and you will hopefully find a new one to work on.

All the best to everyone in the coming year.
:zombie:SOV :zombie:
 
For anyone who reads this thread (the serious parts) in the future.....

Thought I should update you with how things turned out with this decision....

The first 6 months after my decision were quite honestly very difficult. As much as I felt I was making the right decision, it was hard to accept the loss of something I had worked so hard at for so many years (about 7 in my case). I had to leave SDN for a while as just being in touch with everyone left me a little bitter (imagine cranky curmudgeon more bitter than usual😱)... But in time, as with anything, acceptance came and life went on.

Things got much better once I was able to move on with my life. I am now working at something I really, really enjoy, and even though I probably couldn't make any less money than I am now (really you couldn't), I am happy. There is no bitterness left about how things played out, and based on the conversations I have with those who I would have graduated with, I don't see how I would have been better off in any way by pushing through. I just enjoy every day so much now, and I haven't been able to say that for a long, long time.

Sure, I still want to learn more, and I check back at lecture notes from time to time when something comes up with my own pets, but I think things worked out for the best for me.

For anyone else out there who is contemplating moving on for whatever reason, I encourage you to do what you think is best for you. Life will go on, you will get over the sadness of being unable to complete one dream, and you will hopefully find a new one to work on.

All the best to everyone in the coming year.
:zombie:SOV :zombie:

<3 ya old man. All the best to you and the Mrs.!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a few questions.

Do you believe the school you were attending was in any way responsible for your eventual withdrawl? Meaning, was there something the school could have done to make you a happier student? Do you think attending another school would have alleviated any of the problems you listed?

Same question(s) to everyone that posted that they've had similar thoughts. Your input is appreciated. By the way, I'm glad you're happy with your decision in the end.
 
I have a few questions.

Do you believe the school you were attending was in any way responsible for your eventual withdrawl? Meaning, was there something the school could have done to make you a happier student? Do you think attending another school would have alleviated any of the problems you listed?

Same question(s) to everyone that posted that they've had similar thoughts. Your input is appreciated. By the way, I'm glad you're happy with your decision in the end.
Eh, it's possible but if there is anything there at all, it is a minor factor in general.

I was allowed 12 months medical leave and I used that up. They could have been more flexible, but I doubt that is much different elsewhere. Also the requirement to have to re-apply seemed harsh, but again, I doubt that is all that different. Who knows? Maybe a program that was more suitable for me may have made my academic life easier and I could have had more confidence I could have come back sooner and not physically fall apart, but I find that a pretty dubious assumption as well.

So pretty much the answer is no I don't really hold the school responsible, as i don't think they acted differently than any other school. That is not to say things could be handled differently IN GENERAL at all schools, but that is a rant for another day.
 
*****bump*******

A few people asked me about why I left so I am bumping this,

Rereading this, I Gotta laugh at my short lived attempt to leave sdn, I am way less active than ever but I still can’t stay away permanently.

Prevet SDN is one of the best places on that inter web thing that al gore invented,
 
Last edited:
*****bump*******

A few people asked me about why I left so I am bumping this,

Rereading this, I Gotta laugh at my short lived attempt to leave sdn, I am way less active than ever but I still can’t stay away permanently.

Prevet SDN is one of the best places on that inter web thing that al gore invented,

SOV I was just thinking of you the other day!!! I have SO missed the SDN and you guys. How are you loving life these days?!!