Goro’s guide to interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel like Goro may be even tougher on interviews because he gives us so much advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What is your opinion on blushing without any stuttering or other signs of embarrassment? Sometimes when I'm nervous I turn bright red, but all other signs of nervousness are absent. I've given speeches and presented projects without a single bit of stuttering or nervousness, but later learned I was red during the presentation.

I can't really control it, it just happens sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.

i stutter a bit when i get nervous. dont really care anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wasn't a dream. Really happened. But our wily old Admissions dream lost your file!

I had a dream once where I was interviewed by Goro.

I was so nervous in the dream that it didn't dawn on me it was Goro. This is despite being interviewed by a black cat and being asked indirectly about things I've told him privately here, but are not on my application. Near the end of the interview, it dawned on me who it was, then I woke up. Never did find out if I was accepted to his school. ;-)

Well, I do NOT ask softball questions!
I feel like Goro may be even tougher on interviews because he gives us so much advice!

I once interviewed a young lady who turned beet red from the neck down. There's some physiological explanation for this, but I forgot the mechanism and the name. I have no problem with blushing, nor a slight stammer.

What is your opinion on blushing without any stuttering or other signs of embarrassment? Sometimes when I'm nervous I turn bright red, but all other signs of nervousness are absent. I've given speeches and presented projects without a single bit of stuttering or nervousness, but later learned I was red during the presentation.

I can't really control it, it just happens sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.

Reactions: 9 users
Wasn't a dream. Really happened. But our wily old Admissions dream lost your file!

Just my luck!

I never did get to compliment you on how lovely your fur was! If I compliment you now, can you find that file?

You know, I'd never been interviewed by a cat before. What I find odd is that I didn't find being interviewed by a cat to be out of the ordinary. I am not sure what that says about me.

I can also believe that if I did apply to your school, and you were my interviewer, all you would have to do is look at my file and you would be able to say "I know who you are on SDN!" unless gay trans Jews are your school's specialty in which case I would blend in. ;)

your thread brings back old memories, @Goro ! The next time I interview will be for fellowship. I wonder how the game will change...!

What if someone had a slight stuttering problem or stammer? Or talked about it as a challenge to overcome, and still has a slight stammer how would most adcoms perceive it

Thank you so much for this!!!!!
My question is, are younger applicants at a disadvantage? When I apply next year, I will be just 20 years old and I know that I'll be a nervous mess. Does that mean that I will most likely get rejected?

And why is an interest in research a bad thing? I want to see patients and do all that but I also really love research and want to keep doing it.

My question is, are younger applicants at a disadvantage? When I apply next year, I will be just 20 years old and I know that I'll be a nervous mess. Does that mean that I will most likely get rejected?

And why is an interest in research a bad thing? I want to see patients and do all that but I also really love research and want to keep doing it.

You are only at disadvantage if you scream immaturity. Don't treat it as a disadvantage, and it won't be seen as one ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Do NOT babble like an idiot (while the brain is in overdrive trying to come up with an answer).

Being a babbling idiot. These are those people who can't answer a question concisely. I've sure you've met people like this...why bother using one word when ten will do? I suspect that these people are thinking for an answer while they're speaking, so the mouth is going while the brain tries to come up with something.

Advice so nice, it must be said twice! Seriously, I bet you hear this *all the time* though. For some reason it is really easy to do if you're not paying attention.

It won't be a problem. I've had students who have had stammers. BTW, I knew this guy when I was a lab tech in NYC. He had a grand mal stutter. Didn't stop him!
http://profiles.utsouthwestern.edu/profile/17917/perrin-white.html

What if someone had a slight stuttering problem or stammer? Or talked about it as a challenge to overcome, and still has a slight stammer how would most adcoms perceive it

The only thing that can hurt you is any appearance of immaturity, which unfortunately, we do see in the younger interviewees.

An interest in research is fine. I get questions from interviewees all the time about research at my school. I'm at a DO school and obviously research tales a back seat to teaching, and turning out primary Care docs, so it shouldn't be a problem. BUT, it can be a problem at a a school like, say, Mercer, which has a tiny research venue (smaller even than my school). The way the question is asked, and combined with one's ECs, can also backfire. There are people who lard up the research hours to the deficit of all others, and they give off the look of someone who wants to be in the lab, period, and not touching patients. When I was in grad school I knew a woman who was an MD student; she hated touching patients, and later became a pathologist.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you view older applicants say 30+ that interview like traditional students? Because I really cannot see myself bsing about healing the world, saving lives, "since I was a young", etc.. Im sure this might even be expected from the traditional applicants but how do you view this type of presentation from an older one?

Imo if an older applicant talked like that I would think they are being a little disingenuous and just trying too hard, and reject.

Some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s. Older applicants are viewed more favorably because they bring to the table maturity, life experience, gravitas, patience, and a good deal of wisdom.

The only time older applicants get penalized is if they give off the air of having not figured out what they want to do when they grow up.

Immaturity doesn't have an expiration date, after all.

Don't laugh, I have met people like this!

How do you view older applicants say 30+ that interview like traditional students? Because I really cannot see myself bsing about healing the world, saving lives, "since I was a young", etc.. Im sure this might even be expected from the traditional applicants but how do you view this type of presentation from an older one?

Imo if an older applicant talked like that I would think they are being a little disingenuous and just trying too hard, and reject.

Reactions: 4 users
Well I think its ok to be immature for a little while extra but not forever (points to self) ;)

Pull up a chair and grad a cold one.

Interview season is here! Finally, here’s your chance to strut your stuff and show people why they should let you into their medical school. We take admissions interviews very seriously. Getting an invite means that we think you are academically prepared for medical school, and you meet the minimum demands of the profession's humanistic side by your numerous ECs.

The good news is that by getting an interview, you’ve survived a huge cut. Most interviewees represent 10-20% of the total applicant pool. And, at many places, just by setting foot on campus, you’re going to be accepted. But do NOT be complacent! People can and do bomb the interview.

Here’s some advice from experience gained over a decade of interviewing.

First, know the format. Some are 1 on 1, some are 2 on 1 or more. The interviewers may have your file, parts of your file, or be completely ignorant of what’s in your file. You may be also interviewed in a group of fellow potential students (which is how it’s done at my school). Your interviewers will most likely be faculty, with or without medical students on the panel, perhaps a layperson from the community, or a clinician not on the faculty.

You can get an idea of what the format is like, and the types of questions you’ll be asked by reading the Interview Questions section for the schools in SDN's Interview Feedback section: (http://schools.studentdoctor.net/schools/?view=medical).

For starters, here’s what you need to carry into the interview room:
-People skills.

-Being able to speak understandable English.

-Demonstrate that you know what you're getting into.

-Be familiar with the school. You’ll have to come up with a better answer to “why here?” than just “you invited me” or “I couldn’t get into (#1 choice school here).”

-Be yourself!

Be confident. Be poised.

-Know what's in your file.

-Listen carefully. I will ding interviewees severely if I ask them X and they answer Y. Here’s one example: sometimes I ask people what their hometown is. They interpret this as an opportunity to tell me their life story, when the question really was "so, Jack/Jill, where are you from?"

Be prepared to get stressed. Some people are sweetie pies, and some are hard-asses (like me). We deliberately rattle you to see how you handle stress. But there’s a difference between being probing, and being unprofessional.

Now, I'm sure someone is going to chime in that "yeah, but interviews are stressful", as if that’s going to excuse a poor performance. No doubt they are, but so is tying off a spurting artery on a MVA victim, or dealing with an acting-out psychotic patient. Thus, with all the people we interview for our limited number of seats, the seats go to those who display grace under pressure. Panic is not an option for a doctor; clear-headed thinking is.

Do not lie. We have your app in front of you (most of the time). We’re pretty good at catching liars. For example, Medicine can be a small community sometimes, and so your interviewer may actually know the person you shadowed.

If you’ve done research, you can very well expect to be asked about it. You should have an understanding of what you did, how you did it, what you found (if anything) and why you did it. If you were merely a tech following orders, and never engaged in any independent thinking, don’t pretend that you did.

Gravitas counts. Faculty and students don’t merely look at you as a potential student, but as a potential colleague. I try to image the interviewee wearing the white coat. I want to be comfortable with the idea of this person touching patients. I have a clinical colleague with a more earthy criteria: “would you want this person to do a prostate exam on your dad?”

Do NOT be arrogant. People who think that they're God's gift to Medicine do not go into Medicine.

We know the interview tricks, so please don’t try to digress the question from X into what great team player you are or how prepared you are. You’re more likely to get smacked back to the center.

If you’re in a group interview, pay attention when other people are speaking.

After the interview is over, don’t get your hopes up just because the interviewer is being polite. We're specifically told not to give any tip-offs that might give false hope. Any one interviewer’s comments could also be worthless, because the AdCom as a whole, or the Dean might overrule that interviewer.

Here are some things that get people rejected immediately:
Do NOT babble like an idiot (while the brain is in overdrive trying to come up with an answer).

Being unprofessional for any reason. An example is addressing a faculty member by their first name. Another is chewing gum during the interview. If you have a dry mouth, suck on a lozenge instead. Not taking the interview seriously, like showing up poorly dressed. This is suit and tie time (and nice dress/outfit/suit for the ladies). You're going into character. Yes, if the airline loses your luggage, we understand that.

Not making eye contact is also a no-no (yes I'm aware that in some cultures, one does not look elders in the eye, but this is the USA and you need to look people in the eye here).

Any hints of immaturity will be lethal for your chances. We expect you to be thoughtful and self-aware.

Would you admit the gal who, when asked a hypothetical, "What would you do in this situation?" answers, "Oh, that wouldn't happen."

Showing that you're greedy.

Showing any hint of entitlement. This includes the “I was accepted to XSOM, so what are you going to do for me?” The answer will be “Good luck and have fun at X.

Being clueless as to why you're choosing Medicine as a career.

Doing this because your mom/dad wants you to be a doctor (or don't think you can be doctor). Completely lacking people skills (4.0 automatons are a dime a dozen, really).

Showing that you're more interested in research than Medicine. This might be OK at Stanford, but it won’t fly at most other schools.

Still being the hyper-gunner...I rejected a 4.0 gal who wanted to answer the questions I asked of another person in the interview panel. I don't want to admit someone who will be in my office whining about how they got a 95 on an exam and deserved a 96.

Having a flat affect. This might be due to medication, or a mental or personality disorder. You ever meet someone who could never crack a smile? I don't want someone like that touching patients.

Copping an attitude. I asked a woman why she didn't have any volunteer experience. She replied that she was too busy working. Fair enough, some people have lives, but she copped an attitude while delivering this, and I just wrote down "reject".

Coming in with scripted answers and being unable to deviate from said script.

Being ill-prepared for fairly common interview questions (e.g. Why this school? Why Medicine?)

Thinking that always circling back to your accomplishments and how great you are impresses us.

Making excuses for misdeeds. We had rejected someone once who had some fairly benign misdemeanors, but chose to blame it on the policemen who gave him the tickets.

Being too shy or nervous.

Don’t do show and tell. I don’t want you pulling out a binder with your resume or portfolio. Let your application speak for you.

Being a babbling idiot. These are those people who can't answer a question concisely. I've sure you've met people like this...why bother using one word when ten will do? I suspect that these people are thinking for an answer while they're speaking, so the mouth is going while the brain tries to come up with something.

It’s OK to gather your thoughts, but it’s not OK to blank out. This group includes the people who do something like this (and I am NOT making this up!): goro: So tell me about this thing you did in Honduras? Interviewee: Well, we went there for a mission trip and...what was the question? goro: (thinking: reject!)
Or the guy who, when asked "How does your hobby relate to the practice of Medicine?", and can't even say "It doesn't", and definitely can't even BS an answer, but sits there in a coma?

During the interview day:
You’re interviewing the school as much as they’re interviewing you. You’re potentially going to give $250K+ and four years of your life to this place, so be sure to ask them questions especially to the students there, such as “why did you come here? Why didn’t you go to the other schools you interviewed at? What are the best things? What are the worst things?” Ask this of Faculty too!

AFTER the interview:
This is where we, the Adcom comes in. We meet and go over the candidates. For >75% of you, you're in. The other 25% we talk about. Many of you will have passionate advocates. We look over and discuss anything problematic, like a low sGPA, or how you were a tad shy or nervous. If you're a borderline candidate, this is where a great set of LORs or essay may save you.

Unless the school specifically welcomes LOI or updates, your work is done. If you're waitlisted, don't pester them, lest you be seen as someone who can't follow simple directions, or feel so entitled that the rules don't apply to you. People do get off wait lists, but one more LOR, or having just gotten new job at the hospital isn't likely to convince the Dean of Admissions to move you up.

And always have a Plan B.

And good luck! I hope to meet some of you.
goro thanks for the awesome post- would love to grab a beer with you sometime (pretty sure just about EVERYONE on the SDN community would too)--Thanks from a bagillion premeds

Gauss, this is completely irrelevant. Maybe you got post confused with the "schools looking for LGBT students thread"??

Your interviewers are going to be, for the most part, PhDs and/or MDs/DOs. Their gender is completely irrelevant. This is a professional setting and you act accordingly. You're not interviewing for a job...it's a career that starts at a professional school. The person you're talking to is not yet your peer.

And our Admissions Deans and staff aren't *****s, they have, at least at my school, placards or name tags for the interviewees. So if Jane comes in, and her tag says Jane, even though she started life as a John, I call her Jane.

I'm worried about you, Gauss. Have you taken the MCAT yet? Watch out for the VR section, especially reading comprehension and critical thinking.

It's not his/her/whatever fault - this is the state of modern liberal arts education.

It's not his/her/whatever fault - this is the state of modern liberal arts education.
'Liberal arts' means something specific beyond just 'liberal'.

*bookmarked* This is really helpful, thank you Goro!

Why does your school prefer group interviews as opposed to one-on-one? I'm imagining each applicant trying to outdo one another when asked the same question...

We don't ask the panel the same questions. That just invites answers like "Oh, I agree with gannicus". Each interviewer reviews the interviewees files and comes up with questions independently. My students who are on the panel take great care and pride in their work and come up with very good questions.

Why group interviews? This was the policy when I joined the Faculty. It does select for good team players, or rather, selects against people who are poor team players.

Why does your school prefer group interviews as opposed to one-on-one? I'm imagining each applicant trying to outdo one another when asked the same question...

I think the point is to pick people who don't do that.

Practice makes perfect!!!

Take some acting, speech, drama or debate lessons.

Alternatively, just make an effort to make conversation with people you don't know. This can be done anywhere: at a bar, in class, on a bus, waiting in line, bathroom stalls (joking). Cheap, efficient, effective.

Reactions: 6 users
Alternatively, just make an effort to make conversation with people you don't know. This can be done anywhere: at a bar, in class, on a bus, waiting in line, bathroom stalls (joking). Cheap, efficient, effective.
don't forget your uber/lyft drivers
or start driving for uber/lyft and talk to your passengers

But what are some of the difficult questions you ask? Or "out of left field" questions?

avgn always coming in with the clutch.

Last edited:
I like to think that I have good interpersonal skills, but the thought of being eloquent, knowledgeable, philosophical, and deep all at the same kind of scares me. Any insight or advice?

I like to think that I have good interpersonal skills, but the thought of being eloquent, knowledgeable, philosophical, and deep all at the same kind of scares me. Any insight or advice?
Tbh idkididk..

Oh no... I'm going to have to work on that

Do phlebotomy. You will either learn how to talk to patients and thus people.... or you will stand there awkwardly while gathering your phlebotomy supplies.

Finally when you realize that not talking is actually awkward, you will then start striking up conversations with every patient because it just makes your job better in so many ways.

Now, you can talk to people!

Reactions: 4 users
Do phlebotomy. You will either learn how to talk to patients and thus people.... or you will stand there awkwardly while gathering your phlebotomy supplies.

Finally when you realize that not talking is actually awkward, you will then start striking up conversations with every patient because it just makes your job better in so many ways.

Now, you can talk to people!
I agree!! If you can make a friend while jabbing a needle into their arm (maybe more than once), you can make friends with anyone!

I agree!! If you can make a friend while jabbing a needle into their arm (maybe more than once), you can make friends with anyone!

What I used to do as a phlebotomist is if I didnt get their blood after 2 tries, I offered to have another phlebotomist draw their blood.

Hubris and arrogance will just piss off your patients lol.

What I used to do as a phlebotomist is if I didnt get their blood after 2 tries, I offered to have another phlebotomist draw their blood.

Hubris and arrogance will just piss off your patients lol.
I think that's an unwritten rule. Alas, some patients I've had would rather have me try a third time than get someone else. Thank goodness I've only had to try 3 times once or twice when I first started out.

I think that's an unwritten rule. Alas, some patients I've had would rather have me try a third time than get someone else. Thank goodness I've only had to try 3 times once or twice when I first started out.

Yea, I think it is. Yea like you say, it really depends on the patient. You always have to get a "feel" for the particular patient that you have.

Being too shy or nervous.

So that makes me worried...I'm quite the shy person at first. Although I usually make a good impression on the vast majority of people I meet despite that, I'm worried about how much this will affect my chances if I get to the interview stage. I really need to work on my interview skills :bucktooth:

This was a very informative post @Goro! Thank you so much!

Perfectly fine and common on both counts, Cat. I myself do the second. "Let's see, there's A, then B, then C..."

Plenty of people start out stiff but them warm up and rise to the occasion. I suspect he realize after a few minutes that "no, the interviewer is not going to stab me".

@Goro - How much an issue is it when an interviewee is a bit more formal at the beginning of the interview? My nervousness is I'm just less conversational at the beginning of interviewers, and I get more comfortable like after the first few questions, and am way more conversational then. It's just overcoming that initial barrier and first impressions do matter.

Also, for questions like "why medicine" that everyone practices, is it an issue if I come across as though I'm going over a checklist of points? Not like being super scripted or having a flat affect, just linear and it's clear that I have points organized in my head, and prepared to answer this question.

Goro, do you bring your cat to your interviews? Do you look kind of like this????
Blofeld+You+Only+Live+Twice.jpg

Reactions: 15 users