Goro's guide to medical student success

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: revised 8/21/15

Pull up a chair and grab another cold one; I was asked by an SDNer about the big DOs and DON’Ts of being a med student. Here are my thoughts:

At this time a good number of you are heading to med school this fall. Good luck! You’ve earned it. As you know, you have along hard road ahead of you, but you can do it! Many of are probably still wondering “what have I gotten myself into?”

Well, for starters, that cliché of “drinking from the fire hose” is true. We’re going to throw everything at you, in a very short period of time. I had a friend who was a graduate U WV SOM, and he told me that medical school “took him to his intellectual limits.”

Here are some tips that I have gleaned from my successful students, and helpful SDNers. In no particular order:

Identify your optimal learning style. Not everyone learns best by sitting on their butts for 6-8 hours a day. More importantly, what worked in college might not work in med school. The key thing here is go to lectures if you're struggling; conversely, if you really get nothing from being at lectures, then by all means, do something else in that time period (unless you're at schools with required attendance like LECOM).

Studying in med school isn’t merely adding more studying hours, but studying in a way that is best attuned to your learning style. Some people have to hear things, and so they may do best in study groups teaching their friends, or listening to lectures on video playback.

Other are visual learners and do best by making tables charts figures, writing out pathways, etc.

Merely reading and re-reading your PPT files to try to memorize them like you're learning the lines from Othello and Titus Andronicus, isn't going to work, because you have to be able to think and apply as well as memorize.

I have tons of students who have troubles in the first third of their first semester because not only the sheer overload of material clobbers them, but they find that what worked in college doesn't work in med school!

The old “drinking from the fire hose” analogy is apt, but it's more accurate to say "drinking from the firehouse while running after the fire truck!"

Every one of my clinician colleagues has told me that repetition is the key to learning. And don’t worry about not learning everything at once, you’re not radio actors with live air time tomorrow afternoon. We realize it takes time to get your material down. Yes, given the nature of the beast, some cramming will be impossible to avoid, but be aware if you cram, you don’t retain. And it’s not enough to memorize, you have to apply what you’ve learned.

You have taken and done well enough on the MCAT to have been accepted. However, some of you still have challenges with standardized testing. BUT, if you have test taking anxiety, get help for it NOW. And get a good night's sleep before exams, too. This helps retention and test performance.

Most of you are where you are right now because you love learning about the human body. Don’t ever lose that.

I post this all the time here, but this is important enough to repeat: your schools will have special resources to help struggling students. One is a learning or education center, to help you with time mgt, learning styles, test taking anxieties, mind mapping, etc.

Med school is stressful. I like to point out that it has broken even healthy students. The other resource to use, and this is just as important, is the counseling or therapy center. Med school can be soul crushing, especially when you’re floundering. Don’t be afraid of losing face; don’t be afraid to seek out help. Don’t be a non-compliant patient. You’re going have plenty of these on your own!

Have or develop good coping skills in case family or relationship issues intrude. I like to point out that as a medical student you have to be somewhat selfish. This is especially pertinent for students who come from cultures where extended family is important. You can’t always run home if Uncle Joe gets sick.

In addition, it's best to have or develop a support group. Your fellow students are your family now. You can turn to them.

Yet another resource: Seek out your professors if you're struggling; they're there for you!

Always be look at the big picture. I have seen so many students get lost in the weeds trying to memorize every detail. You simply can’t do it. He who tries to learn everything will end up learning nothing. Use resources other than your PPT files, like Pathoma. High scorers on Boards tend to use more of the external resources than just than their lecture notes.

Bone up on what you're weakest in. This is why practice tests are so helpful. Qbank, Testweapon, USMLE World, ComBank, ComSAE, whatever the resource, make sure use to them. We and others find that our best students take lots of practice questions, and the weakest students don’t. If you feel you know particular material, it's OK to spend less time with it, and better to work on your weakest areas. But identifying those holes in your knowledge base is extremely important.

If textbooks are required, buy them. Board review books are exactly that; do NOT use them in place of a required text. We’ve found that our weakest students always try to make do with just review books. Review books are for review, and that’s it. And BTW, First Aid for USMLE I has lots of errors in it!

Study with your friends, unless they’re too distracting. Otherwise, seek out the people in your classes who really impress you, and ask them “how they do it?” Even if you get a single tip that help, that’s worth it.

What makes medical students fail? The common reasons at my school are mental health issues, especially depression; poor work ethic; inability to separate outside life issues from med school (ie, poor coping skills); repeated failure on Boards. A handful lost interest in Medicine, or were never fully committed to the path in the first place.

But to quote Queen Victoria, “We are not interested in the possibility of failure!

And good luck to you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 118 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Keep posting these and instructing me to grab a cold on. Get me drunk and informed, Goro.

Reactions: 31 users
Excellent post @Goro

What makes medical students fail? The common reasons at my school are mental health issues, especially depression; poor work ethic; inability to separate outside life issues from med school (ie, poor coping skills); repeated failure on Boards. A handful lost interest in Medicine, or were never fully committed to the path in the first place.

In a nutshell: Poor self-management skills. If you don't already have it, develop the ability to take a step back and look at how you're doing in an objective fashion. Your friends may be able to help you with this if you ask them, and are then willing to listen. If you can't stop hyperventilating, you'll never realize you need to breathe.

Reactions: 4 users
Reported Goro for being awesome, again. Thank you so much for your guidance. Many current and future students will be able to use this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Very helpful guide, thank you!

Thanks for the advice @Goro , very much appreciated !

13359.png

Reactions: 6 users
This is the best thing to read right before school starts in a few months! Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhh, I remember reading this last year not knowing how the hell the cycle was going to play out for me but hoping that I would be heeding these words of advice....

Reactions: 3 users
I needed this. I've always been confident I could handle academic rigors and the challenges of medical school, however, for some reason I've become a little anxious/nervous about starting this fall. Occasionally, I've worried about the worst (failing out). At the same time, I'm itching to start already, am very excited, and incredibly proud to be able to call myself a medical student. I'll be printing out this post and hanging it on my wall. Thanks.

Reactions: 7 users
If I may

I post this all the time here, but this is important enough to repeat: your schools will have special resources to help struggling students. One is a learning or education center, to help you with time mgt, learning styles, test taking anxieties, mind mapping, etc.

Don't always count on this. Upset the wrong faculty or staff member and you WILL NOT be able to access the resources.

Med school is stressful. I like to point out that it has broken even healthy students. The other resource to use, and this is just as important, is the counseling or therapy center. Med school can be soul crushing, especially when you’re floundering. Don’t be afraid of losing face; don’t be afraid to seek out help. Don’t be a non-compliant patient. You’re going have plenty of these on your own!

This... right here. All of it.

In addition, it's best to have or develop a support group. Your fellow students are your family now. You can turn to them.

Yes on support group, maybe not for fellow students. I still don't know what I did to upset my former classmates, but I do know that things I said to them got back to the wrong people. I think one should really be careful who their friends are and be careful what they say around them. Save most of it for the therapist.

I have some too.

1) This one I got from the MARC conference last week, this is actually an exercise that a professor gave to an undergrad class. Pretend you are being followed by the paparazzi as you never know who or what is going to be sent back to the faculty.

2) For men, don't take out your trash half dressed (no pjs or boxers), you may end up with a professionalism charge even if you live off campus.

3) Don't do anything at all to draw attention to yourself. Dress exactly like everyone else. Trust me.

4) The faculty and staff will most likely recognize you within a few weeks and know your name. It's eerie but true.

5) Don't rent a house in a sketchy neighbourhood.

To summarize what aero is saying, don't attend MCG.

If I may

Don't always count on this. Upset the wrong faculty or staff member and you WILL NOT be able to access the resources.

This... right here. All of it.

Yes on support group, maybe not for fellow students. I still don't know what I did to upset my former classmates, but I do know that things I said to them got back to the wrong people. I think one should really be careful who their friends are and be careful what they say around them. Save most of it for the therapist.

I have some too.

1) This one I got from the MARC conference last week, this is actually an exercise that a professor gave to an undergrad class. Pretend you are being followed by the paparazzi as you never know who or what is going to be sent back to the faculty.

2) For men, don't take out your trash half dressed (no pjs or boxers), you may end up with a professionalism charge even if you live off campus.

3) Don't do anything at all to draw attention to yourself. Dress exactly like everyone else. Trust me.

4) The faculty and staff will most likely recognize you within a few weeks and know your name. It's eerie but true.

5) Don't rent a house in a sketchy neighbourhood.

Reactions: 3 users
To summarize what aero is saying, don't attend MCG.

Well if you are a normal every day cisgender gentile, by all means. But the don't live in a sketchy neighbourhood rule still applies. (MCG applicants... run away from Harrisburg.)

I am still partially on edge even now. At least I am almost getting enough sleep and I close on a house in a few weeks.

I have some too.

What kind of school is any of this applicable at...? Sounds way too extreme and over the top.

Last edited:
Nice timing on this post @Goro I'm sure many matriculated students are getting cold feet this time of the year.

What kind of school is any of this applicable...? Sounds way too extreme and over the top.

I would have said the same thing this time last year. I have just never in my life... I swear... I just... I never.

Last edited:
Really? :eyebrow:
This seems a like a bit much, hopefully most programs aren't like this.

I go out in my boxers or pj bottoms from time to time to take out the trash. Mostly because I have nothing that will fall out of the aforementioned boxers. I think a lot of people do. People have complained. How they know, I don't know because none of my classmates live in the area. But apparently this is a professionalism thing.

Personally, my thoughts are "I have clothing on and everything that needs to be covered is covered." And I am not scaring small children or anything.

Really? :eyebrow:
This seems a like a bit much, hopefully most programs aren't like this.

Yeah I usually go running shirtless or get the mail in just workout shorts since I'd just come back from lifting. This is hot FL, but I couldn't imagine it would be a problem too?

Great advice as always. Thank you Goro for making sdn such a fun and useful place to hang around.

Yeah I usually go running shirtless or get the mail in just workout shorts since I'd just come back from lifting. This is hot FL, but I couldn't imagine it would be a problem too?

I'm in Georgia living in a house that has no AC.

I live in Augusta Georgia and we periodically get hotter than Miami (where my mother lives). I have no working AC. Don't make too many assumptions.

I live in Augusta Georgia and we periodically get hotter than Miami (where my mother lives). I have no working AC. Don't make too many assumptions.

Well aware it can get extremely hot and humid in Georgia. Wasn't insinuating it doesn't.

Was insinuating that at most schools, maybe not at your medical school, that simply going to take out the trash in some PJs is probably not going to get you reprimanded. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Well aware it can get extremely hot and humid in Georgia. Wasn't insinuating it doesn't.

Was insinuating that at most schools, maybe not at your medical school, that simply going to take out the trash in some PJs is probably not going to get you reprimanded. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think there was a miscommunication. The thing I was saying was basically don't assume that because you live in a hot area that you might be immune. Be very careful.

I didn't think that anyone was going to care about me going out in pjs or boxers was a horrible thing. Positive note, I ended up complimented on my turtle pj bottoms.

Geez, would you guys mind taking the weather and pj's convo to your PM's?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Goro - you forgot one rule -- bring your residents cookies.

I don't think getting a full night's sleep before a test is absolutely necessary. I usually spend the night before trying to pass over all the material at least once so that its fresh in my mind for the test. Big picture stuff can be retained from studying ahead, and that will get you in the 70-80 range, but if you want 90+ you need to review all the minor testable details relatively close to the test. U.S. Med schools in general want their students to pass, so a good chunk (>70%) of the questions can be answered by knowing the big pictures. However, they still need to discriminate between the top students, the average students, and the bottom students. The detail questions (a fact mentioned once on the corner of a slide, for example) are what they use to do this.

I might take a 1-2 hour "nap" during my cram sessions. The more conceptual classes like physiology probably require more sleep so you can reason through problems, but stuff like histology where you don't have to reason, and all you have to think is"caveman sees neutrophil!", you can get by with less sleep. Also talk to older students because they have valuable experience to share, and try to emulate students who do well.

Last edited:
Caffe! Haven't seen you in a while!:)

Goro - you forgot one rule -- bring your residents cookies.

I'm just reporting what my top (as in top 5 in Class) students tell me. There's also a lot of data that shows that lack of sleep does not lead to good retention. The whole idea of medical education nowadays is to avoid binge and purge.

I don't think getting a full night's sleep before a test is absolutely necessary.

I don't necessarily binge and purge, I study ahead of time. I know there's people who look at the material for the first time the day before the test. I just feel like some details I just won't remember if I don't look at them right before the test.

I'm just reporting what my top (as in top 5 in Class) students tell me. There's also a lot of data that shows that lack of sleep does not lead to good retention. The whole idea of medical education nowadays is to avoid binge and purge.

I don't think getting a full night's sleep before a test is absolutely necessary.

I don't necessarily binge and purge, I study ahead of time. I know there's people who look at the material for the first time the day before the test. I just feel like some details I just won't remember if I don't look at them right before the test.

In fact, I recently covered my walls in whiteboard paper, so I can draw stuff out as I study, and so I have something to review before the test too. I take pictures of them too before erasing so I can use them as a reference for the class final/step 1.

Business got really busy; had a lot of call and lot of operating... so obviously this had to take a backseat for a bit :D

I say this because my weakest students historically have tried to get buy on only Board review books. So, at a minimum, you can change this particular advice to "Don't think that First Aid is the only book you need to buy".

I think this is the first time any of @Goro's advice hasn't seemed good! ;) Thanks for the great post as always.

I say this because my weakest students historically have tried to get buy on only Board review books. So, at a minimum, you can change this particular advice to "Don't think that First Aid is the only book you need to buy".

At our school the only books upperclassmen suggest buying are Savarese, FA, and the Color Atlas of Anatomy.