Got A Few Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notsureyet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I was wondering about the following :: :D

1). When DO school wait-list you, does it mean the school has granted you admission and if not this year, you are bound to be admitted the following year ?

2). Do Independent / Research credits in chemistry, etc. get counted in a science GPA ?

Thanks ..

Members don't see this ad.

if you are waitlisted you are not accepted... it means they have a list of people that they might consider for accpetance if a spot opens up.

The ind. study for chem might be included it depends on the individual schools

1). When DO school wait-list you, does it mean the school has granted you admission and if not this year, you are bound to be admitted the following year ?

2). Do Independent / Research credits in chemistry, etc. get counted in a science GPA ?

Thanks ..

1) No. It means you are still possibly going to be admitted for this year, but if not you will have to start from scratch next year.

2) I doubt it, but Im not sure.

Thanks ..

1)
No. It means that if for instance 20 people decline their seat, 20 people from the wait list can take there spot. Nothing is set in stone when you are on the wait list, but it's better than being flat out rejected.

2)
Did you get BIO or Chem credit on your transcript for doing the research? If you didn't then the answer is most likely NO. However, if your school gave you biology or chemistry credit for the research, then it will probally be calculated in the science gpa with all your other biology and chemistry courses. At my school, I have received credit for doing research in microbiology. For example, General Microbiology is considereed BIO 260 and Anatomy & Phis is considered BIO 225. Research is considered BIO 360 or CHEM 360. Students who do bio or chem research get credit in bio or chemsitry, just as they would in any other bio or chem class. On the transcript, the research has the same bio or chem suffix as any other bio or chem course. It just has a different 3 digit number and the course description reads, "Biological Reseach" or "Chemistry Research". That being said, it can really help your science gpa since professors at my school typically give you a 1 or 2 hour A per semester in BIO 360 or Chems 360 for doing research for them. I do not see why these research credits would NOT be counted into my science gpa since they look like any other biology or chemistry course on my transcript. That's just how it is at my school though. Things might be different elsewhere.