got a letter from lawyer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penrynepi35

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently received a letter saying that a patient of mine had retained the services of an attorney for personal injury. No details were mentioned in the letter. No specific allegations. I forwarded this letter to my liability carrier, with chart notes from beginning to end.

After sending the attorney copies of this patient's charts, I never received any legal reply. The case is considered closed and without any payment but my liability carrier made this part of my claims history. They told me the letter sounded very forceful and, based on my charts, I wouldn't have received this letter if I did the procedure in a certain way. ( I knew what they meant but it is still standard of care to do it the way I did )

Is it right for my liability carrier to mark this permanently on my claims record?

Whenever I now fill out an application asking if I ever experienced malpractice, do I now check yes?

This is my first time with a legal encounter and I am confused.

Members don't see this ad.