Got a MPH( epidemiology) after Pharm D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm nyc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I worked in in retail pharmacies while got a degree in MPH ( epidemiology). The reality is : the jobs I am "supposed" to get such as to work for CDC, FDA, drug companies are scarce, and most of them require experience in first place. Public health job for a master level people are not a lot either, and also required sufficient experience with 40k-50k salary. Lastly, I am reluctant to just go back for retail after all my effort and passion devoted to my MPH. I just got my MPH but I feel like dead end....Any suggestions or thought?

Members don't see this ad.

I worked in in retail pharmacies while got a degree in MPH ( epidemiology). The reality is : the jobs I am "supposed" to get such as to work for CDC, FDA, drug companies are scarce, and most of them require experience in first place. Public health job for a master level people are not a lot either, and also required sufficient experience with 40k-50k salary. Lastly, I am reluctant to just go back for retail after all my effort and passion devoted to my MPH. I just got my MPH but I feel like dead end....Any suggestions or thought?

Try to get into drug safety and pharmacovigilance...see if you can get your foot in with an agency. I think the MPH would be useful there....then you can climb the corporate ladder i suppose or use that experience for FDA and CDC.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought MPH was just for med or dental students who needed to pad their app for medical or dental school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
My state's Board of Pharmacy executive director has an MPH. He used to work in some sort of area involving pharmacy regulation in DC I think.

Not sure why ppl recommend mph. I think MHA or MBA with healthcare admin focus are better ways to go. Or just straight MBA and leave healthcare for good (finance/consulting are popular options).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Sounds interesting...but once you get selected...can they send you to random locations ? Seems like you would have to uproot your life each time the assignment changes.
I've been told you only move if YOU want to

You are not forced to move, but you need to find a job that is open. Moving does help out in promotion. FDA is mostly located in the DC area. A majority of USPHS pharmacists work with the IHS which is mostly rural but does have some sites in larger cities. BOP has a mix of sites located all over the country as well. There are other government agencies that take pharmacists, but most pharmacists start out in these three agencies.

I thought MPH was just for med or dental students who needed to pad their app for medical or dental school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Depends on the kind of padding. MPH boosts the app a bit for an already competitive applicant, but it does nothing to compensate low undergrad GPA. I honestly don't know why these degrees are so popular.