Got a P in IM... still competitive for Radiology in a big city?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

warriorinthemaking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Happy holidays and New Year. I hate to post another neurotic "am I still competitive/i'm freaking out" thread on this site but I just wanted peoples' takes on my situation. I'm an M3 who's finished 3 rotations - Surgery (High P), Elective, and IM (P). My school does a F/P/HP/H system so I haven't honored anything yet. Elective was P/F and I did a few weeks in Rads. I got a 260 on Step 1 and I was rocking my IM rotation but I got so burned out at the end that I ate crap on the shelf and for my school, if you only pass the exam, you can only pass the clerkship even though I honored everything else.

Normally I wouldn't be too concerned but I'm just trying to gauge how much this really affects me, especially since my goal is to do Radiology residency in NYC, where I was born and raised. My school is not in NY. I also wanted to know how this would impact my ability to get into a competitive TY, since I imagine the "kush" ones are competitive to get into and people from a lot of competitive specialties are applying to those.

I'm open to going to other big cities like DC, Philly, Chicago, Seattle, SoCal (that would be a particular dream of mine) but would ultimately need to go back to NYC. NYC > all of them for Radiology; any big city for TY.

I heard intern year in NYC can be very gruelling and have a lot of ancillary work so I'm open to not doing that in NY per se.

Appreciate any perspectives on anything I've said. Please and thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You’ll be fine. Don’t hang on every grade, it just makes you more stressed and burnt out at the end of each rotation. A P isn’t a red flag and your Rads rotation(s) and LORs will mean more. Try to get an away in NYC if that’s your end game.

You'll be fine. Just do well on the rest of your clerkships, make a good impression at your home radiology department, get good LORs, get some research in, etc. That Step 1 score can get your foot in the door anywhere.

I had a P on my OB/GYN rotation. I still matched into a radiology program in a big city and got a top-notch abdominal imaging fellowship at another big city.