Got a post card from NYCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

captaindargo

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The card made it seem possible to be a DPM without surgery. It said DPM can practice surgery, dermatology, diabetic wound care and sports medicine. I thought there were only surgery residency programs which was why i did not consider becoming a DPM i have no desire to be a surgeon. I guess my question is .... is there more to Podiatric medicine than surgery.

Members don't see this ad.

The card made it seem possible to be a DPM without surgery. It said DPM can practice surgery, dermatology, diabetic wound care and sports medicine. I thought there were only surgery residency programs which was why i did not consider become a DPM i have no desire to be a surgeon. I guess my question is .... is there more to Podiatric medicine than surgery.

Their are 24 month residency which are more for people not interested in surgery, but you still must learn podiatric surgery. You can work just in an office but your training will include surgery.

The card made it seem possible to be a DPM without surgery. It said DPM can practice surgery, dermatology, diabetic wound care and sports medicine. I thought there were only surgery residency programs which was why i did not consider become a DPM i have no desire to be a surgeon. I guess my question is .... is there more to Podiatric medicine than surgery.

Feelgood is right. There are definitely residency programs out there that are very light on surgery.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is great that you realize you do not want to be a surgeon.

You will however have to learn about surgical techniques and procedures and even how to do them, the pre and post surgical care.

When you look for a residency you will have to search hard for one that is just what you want. Many programs want to be high surgical programs. They are out there but not in every state so you might have to travel/ move for your residency. These non-surgical programs tend to be more at VAs (not all) and there is lots of nail cutting.

It will also be important for you if you do not want to do surgery to know when and who to refer to when your patients require surgery.

In the case that you really are not interested in becoming a surgeon NYCPM would not be a bad choice.

thank you for all your replies.

Could you actually specialize in "sports podiatry," or do sub-specialties of podiatry not really work like that (as in, if you were an MD and specialized in orthopaedic surgery, etc.)?

Could you actually specialize in "sports podiatry," or do sub-specialties of podiatry not really work like that (as in, if you were an MD and specialized in orthopaedic surgery, etc.)?

There are post-residency fellowships that offer extra training in particular areas of interest such as sports medicine, diabetes, wound care, and even further surgical training.

I am curious about how involved a podiatrists who is not board certified in surgery can be in terms of surgical procedures. I know that lots of procedures (cutting of nails) are considered surgery by the insurance companies but not by popular opinion. So what do non-board certified podiatrists do other than routine care? Is a bunionectomy a procedure needing board certification? I know about 50% of podiatrists in practice are actually board certified. Thanks

Thanks for your response, Podman. Is it possible to be a non-surgeon sports podiatrist and refer your surgery cases to DPMs that do surgery (kind of like how a sports medicine family practitioner does)?

I sprained my ankle back in the summer (which does not seem to want to heal -- maybe I should stop running) and developed an interest in sports-related podiatric injuries, but I'm not sure if I'd want to perform surgery or not...

Board certification does not say whether or not you can do surgery.

The hospital may require board certification to perform surgeries. If you have a surgical suite in your office you can do surgery with out board certification.

For podiatry there is also the ABPOPPM which is the orthopedic and medicine board, you can also prectice podiatric medicine and orthopedics with out board certification.

I would not aim for practicing without board certification, just putting out there that it is possible and that not every practicing doc out there MD, DO, and whatnot is board certified.

Even Dr. Rey from Dr. 90210 is not board certified. He is board elegable but not yet certified.