Barry Podiatry VS. NYCPM (Opinions from current students?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

savinglivesallday

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I applied to both Barry and NYCPM and was hoping to get opinions on where I should go?

I know that NYCPM has better board scores but what draws me to Barry is living in FL, the beautiful campus, and being in a less densely podiatrist-populated area (In NY, there are about 30 podiatry offices on 1 block).

Hoping to get feedback from either current students or people that also went through making this decision.
I'd like to know the experiences and honest opinions of current Barry students because I've spoken with an NYCPM student who only said good things about NYCPM.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I applied to both Barry and NYCPM and was hoping to get opinions on where I should go?

I know that NYCPM has better board scores...
1616114315479.jpeg

The podiatry (national) boards are pass/fail... you only get a "score" if you fail and they try to tell you what are weak areas. Pass is a pass... scores aren't released (same with resident boards ABFAS). The only boards that might give you a score would be in-training or practice ones. All you should care about when looking at pod schools is boards pt1 pass rate (%), school rep, clinics, cost of tuition/housing, scholarships, campus/area, etc.

Barry and NYCPM are both some of the better ones for clinics... yet both below avg for board pass rates in most years. Barry has a lot of diversity and int'l students, and NYCPM just takes too large of class sizes... not saying those reasons are solely responsible for their low board pass rates, but you can connect the dots with a lot ESL students or a lot of "filler" students to get more tuition. On the converse, some of the schools with highest academics/board rates have dreadfully empty clinics where you see patients with 3+ students at a time and won't really get to see your own patients and apply what you learned until clerkships/residency. No school is perfect. Good students come from every school every year and they match well... pick what's right for you and work hard. Residency matters much more than where you went to pod school. Good luck

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I know that NYCPM has better board scores but what draws me to Barry is living in FL, the beautiful campus, and being in a less densely podiatrist-populated area (In NY, there are about 30 podiatry offices on 1 block).

Hoping to get feedback from either current students or people that also went through making this decision.
I'd like to know the experiences and honest opinions of current Barry students because I've spoken with an NYCPM student who only said good things about NYCPM.

Thanks!

Which state do you want to practice in the future? Can you save money by commuting rather than living in an apt or dorm? Do you have family closer to any of the two programs? Which program is giving you more scholarship $$ (if any)?

Those are the questions you should think about when picking one program. If you can lower your overall debt by going to one, then go there, everything else is secondary.

Reactions: 1 user
would strongly discourage you from going to Barry not the best program

not a current student, but my DPM family member has been in practice for a long time, and he has low regard for NY (he's even from the state).

I avoided applying to NY because of the location, COL, GPA deflation, and the combo of mandatory attendance plus brutal testing schedule. That said, they have very high clinic volume, which is a plus.

I wouldn’t go to NYCPM if you want the best chances to match in Florida. Our clinic is very busy, it’s hard to visit programs. Barry is in Florida so you can take a personal day easier.

I didn’t interact with any Barry students so idk how smart they are.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to Barry and work hard day 1 and don't worry about the board score pass rates. BOARD PASS RATES ARE THE STUDENTS RESPONSIBILITY. each school will give you the tools to succeed. Florida has better residency programs in general than NY and you will have connections in Florida because you will go to school there... not to mention Miami vs New York City... easy decision for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users