Got in and still not happy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

old lady

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After having given up hope of getting in this year, I got accepted to Albany yesterday. I was excited yesterday, but now I'm doubtful because it is so much money! My plan before this acceptance was to improve my application a little, apply earlier, and move home to Michigan to try to get into Wayne State or Michigan State next year. I think I would have a pretty good chance as an in-state resident, but of course it's not guaranteed. I did get 14 rejections this year. But the difference in tuition between Albany and Wayne State is $20,000 per year, a total of $80,000 over four years. That is so much money! Would I be crazy to give up a spot this year for a possible in-state spot next year?I would lose another year and have to go through all this again. But that amount of debt is scary. Please give me some insight/advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I know that 80k difference is a lot, but also look at the costs of taking a year off to apply again. If you loose this year to apply again, you start off 1 year later, and hence decrease your lifetime earning by one year. Salaried out at 100k to 200k a year this could mean losing 20k to 120k in the future by trying to save 80k now.

Hope this makes sense and you must look at the costs of moving, reapplying, reinterviewing, and just time out of the field.

don't give up this acceptance. be glad that you have an assured acceptance and just because you got into albany does not assure any other school to do the same next year. and i think that schools look down upon those who had acceptances but rejected them to apply the following year.

if you're afraid of debt, just remember that we will all be living in debt basically for the rest of our lives. mortage, auto, business payments is a part of our lives and debt isn't necessarily a bad thing. an extra 80k for a private school acceptance vs. an uncertain acceptance next year is an easy choice for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems to me that you are becoming GREEDY. It is a major accomplishment to gain acceptance to an AMERICAN medical school. There are literally hundredths of applicants who would literally give a limb to be in your position (including myself, I?ve been accepted to a U.S med school but not in NY), if you need any evidence to this fact look at the a abundance of foreign medical school that cater to this population. I understand that financially it would be more desirable to attend a medical school that is least expensive. Congrats on your acceptance and enjoy the moment.

:clap:
The two most common elements in the universer are helium and stupidity. Albert Einstein

old lady,

congrats on your acceptance, that's really great! I have no acceptances and am waiting on two schools and I feel hopeless and empty. Your situation is a tough one but it's a good one...... your "in" for crying out loud!!!! :clap: Don't a lot of people accrue lots of debt to pursue the dream of medicine? Does Albany grant financial aid? Do you think you could set up an appoinment w/ Michigan schools to explain and discuss your situation? Just some thoughts. I hope you get some advice and I hope that you enjoy your acceptance, because it's a great thing! Good luck :)

I agree with the above posters. I think it would be foolhearty to give up a definite acceptance now for...well for possibly nothing next year. Think about how you would feel if you apply next year and don't get in anywhere (you have to consider this as a likely scenario). I would never forgive myself. Bite the bullet, fork over the extra cash, become an excellent physician, and amoritize those loans whenever possible. Take the bird in the hand!

first of all you shouldn't have applied there if you didn't want to go. i thought the major goal of most of us here was to become doctors at all costs. you knew it would be expensive and i think it would be pretty arrogant to turn it down expecting to get in somewhere else next year.

Hi Old Lady,

I don't see you as greedy or selfish. Rather, I see someone who is giving serious thought to a financial future. I think it's a good idea to do that. Coming from someone who is currently over $50,000 in debt from undergrad loans, I can sympathize with your concern.

If I were you, I'd wait and see what kind of financial aid package Albany offers you. Perhaps they'll help you out with grants/scholarships? (I don't know how Albany works). None of us know what your current financial situation is, so you'd be the best one to answer your own question (for example, if you're currently $100,000 in debt --yes, I just pulled that number out of thin air :) , then adding on another $80,000+ is painful and could severely impact your future well-being).

And to the posters who say "why did you apply there if you didn't want to go": I admit that when I applied I didn't know much about the majority of the schools beyond the location, type of curriculum, and other basics. I found that only after completing the secondaries and attending interviews did I then begin to understand if a school was "right" for me or not. Sure, I'd theoretically go to any school that offered me admission, but the reality is that there are some of us who must take other factors into account (like financial aid packages). Of course you may apply next year and run the risk of not get in. But if you simply can't afford Albany, then you can't afford it.

Good luck to you! :)

I must point out that if you give up an acceptance to apply next year, admission committees will not accept you in the future. I'm not saying this to be harsh, but it is a question that will be asked on your future applications. They will frown on the fact that you turned down an acceptance, unless you have etenuating circumstances to do so. Finances are not an extenuating circumstance. If you decline this, you'll be declining a chance to ever go to medical school.

Eagle, good point. This a perfect example of WHY people tell you not to apply to schools you wouldn't go to. I think turning this down would really be shooting yourself in the foot for any chance in the future. I'm assuming from your name you're non-trad, so I don't think its worth waiting around...

p.s. I'm from albany and its a great place to live!! :) :clap:

:clap: CONGRATS, old lady! :clap:

Even though I didn't like one of my interviewers at Albany and the school could be a little more modern, I thought it was a nice little place. Just fill out the financial aid stuff and see what happens. Are you on any waitlists? Maybe those will pan out for you. You can also take the military option, if need be.

Albany is evil for rejecting me, but I'm happy for ya! :wink:

I see what you are saying, but honestly it's not worth the chance.

You'll be in debt, yes, but so is everyone else and people manage. It'll be ok. You can't know for sure if ANY school in the future is going to accept you, it's not worth it. Plus it's not worth going through this again.

It'll work out. YOu whould talk to you financial aid officers at Albany about your conerns of being in debt.

If you want to become a doctor do it!!!!!!! Don't wait and take your chances.

Congrats! now stop whining and go to med school. you are going to be a doctor, for god's sake!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by eagle26:
•I must point out that if you give up an acceptance to apply next year, admission committees will not accept you in the future. I'm not saying this to be harsh, but it is a question that will be asked on your future applications. They will frown on the fact that you turned down an acceptance, unless you have etenuating circumstances to do so. Finances are not an extenuating circumstance. If you decline this, you'll be declining a chance to ever go to medical school.•••••I don't necessarily agree with this. I've known a couple of people who have turned down their acceptances in a given year and then go on to do really well in their reapplication the following year. But i do agree with others who say that you'd be taking a big risk... it's entirely possible that you may not get in anywhere next year. I'd consider reapplying if you were very confident and adamant that you could get into a better school than Albany next year. But I wouldn't do it for financial reasons.

I like TSpoon's argument. Being in debt $80k more seems overwhelming. But, in the overall scheme of things, I think it will not be worth delaying things by a year. I'm going to analyze this for you in depth.

•••quote:••••Salaried out at 100k to 200k a year this could mean losing 20k to 120k in the future by trying to save 80k now.•••••Just to make a little correction in TSpoon's remark, an $80k debt would mean you'd have to pay back a lot more than $80k, maybe about $140-$180k, depending on interests, etc. So, if you end up earning salary in that range early in your medical career, going to school a year earlier but taking on an extra $80k debt would roughly even out. But you have to consider that there's cost associated with the emotional uncertainty of reapplying next year, not to mention moving to MI and reapplying itself. So, all in all, don't turn down Albany rejection just for the financial issues. If you take our advice and then settle down on a decision to go to Albany, BE HAPPY with it, okay?! :)

Like others have said, I know the money's scary, but actually declining an acceptance to reapply next year is a VERY bad idea. It will be a large black mark on future applications. Really. This isn't looked on favorably at all. Please don't do it. Go to Albany and be happy :) !

I think that is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank-you so much for all the advice! All of you are awesome and I don't think I would have made it through this year without you. Anyway, I guess you are right, it would be ridiculous to turn down this acceptance. I will stop feeling guilty about the money and enjoy the next couple of months instead of retaking the MCAT, taking classes, and redoing AMCAS. I guess I just had done such a good job of persuading myself it was a 'good thing' I had been rejected this year that I really started to believe it.
Waitingwaiting: I know exactly how you feel. It is so depressing to put all this work, time, and money into something and then have the rejection letters pile in. I was so sad and stressed until yesterday. I hope you hear some good news soon too. Maybe if you just start focusing on next year's application it will make you feel better.