Got my 1st pharmacist paycheck today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PharmacistFl12

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this sounds a little weird. But I sat in front of laptop & stared at my bank account for a while with a big smile. Me and my family have always been poor and lived paycheck to paycheck. All the schoolwork, busting my butt during rotations & now busting my butt during 1st week of work as retail pharmacist this moment felt so sweet. Im planning to treat my family to a nice restaurant dinner with my 1st paycheck.
 
Save, save, save, after you splurge at sizzler, cocos, or Denny's tonight, I will assume since you're family is poor those will be considered top tier places.

Have a plan of attack with the school loans. First thing, save up enough for at least 6 months living expenses for emergencies. Max out 401k yearly, 17k this year, max backdoor Roth, 5k, go to bogleheads.org learn to properly diversify and invest said 401k and Roth funds.

Do not go out and buy a BMW or Audi unless you are a guy and still a virgin, then you may go out and buy a $50k car cause there's more to life than money.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this sounds a little weird. But I sat in front of laptop & stared at my bank account for a while with a big smile. Me and my family have always been poor and lived paycheck to paycheck. All the schoolwork, busting my butt during rotations & now busting my butt during 1st week of work as retail pharmacist this moment felt so sweet. Im planning to treat my family to a nice restaurant dinner with my 1st paycheck.

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍


that is so nice. i like hearing success stories. all these gloom and dome stories on sdn depress me. lol.
 
I will definitely save my earnings soon & start investing. For now i'll rewardc myself a little before reality of paying back student loans hits me in couple of months when grace period ends.
 
Investing doesn't have to be hard or crazy go buy these 2 books on amazon and read them.

Bogleheads guide to investing
And
All about asset allocation 2nd edition

This stuff isn't get rich quick with real estate, scammy insurance products or Robert Kiyosaki BS, this is legitimate index investing with low cost and proper asset allocation.
 
That sounds so sweet. I don't even remember my first-paycheck-moment. It would probably be different if I was holding the cash in my hands rather than never really seeing it.
 
I know this sounds a little weird. But I sat in front of laptop & stared at my bank account for a while with a big smile. Me and my family have always been poor and lived paycheck to paycheck. All the schoolwork, busting my butt during rotations & now busting my butt during 1st week of work as retail pharmacist this moment felt so sweet. Im planning to treat my family to a nice restaurant dinner with my 1st paycheck.

Enjoy your first paycheck no need to burden yourself with the serious stuff right away.Enjoy for a month and then start thinking about investing and other serious things.
 
Bogleheads guide to investing

I downloaded the book off of the greater interwebs torrentverse for free. I already increased my net worth $10 doing that.

That said, after reading the opening chapter where they are talking about the three types of people, the last one pretty much described me. Bought 3 year old car because I understand the *****ation involved in buying new (2009 Sable Luxury Model...Original MSRP $33,000...price used $14,500), only debts are low interest rate mortgage and student loans, got a $15,000 cash cushion at all times, use credit cards for convenience and cash back incentives...pay it off totally every month...save 10% of paycheck, Roth IRA irrelevant now that the wife has work and we're going to be over the limit...but still good advice. Yup, pretty much me. I'd also hope that this **** is common sense, but apparently it isn't. I can't believe people write books about this.

I'd like to add to this to common sense **** you should do already: Pirate as many movies and software as possible. For the cheap price of an offshore seedbox, you can become untraceable and enjoy endless entertainment options for free. Shop at Aldi's for food. It's delicious and cheaper than everywhere. Trader Joe's is a good substitute if you're into that organic ****. The thrift store in uppity rich man areas are the **** because the rich *******s take their never-worn-still-with-tags Prada shirts there and you can buy them for $10 each. Mow your own damn lawn, etc, etc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I downloaded the book off of the greater interwebs torrentverse for free. I already increased my net worth $10 doing that.

That said, after reading the opening chapter where they are talking about the three types of people, the last one pretty much described me. Bought 3 year old car because I understand the *****ation involved in buying new (2009 Sable Luxury Model...Original MSRP $33,000...price used $14,500), only debts are low interest rate mortgage and student loans, got a $15,000 cash cushion at all times, use credit cards for convenience and cash back incentives...pay it off totally every month...save 10% of paycheck, Roth IRA irrelevant now that the wife has work and we're going to be over the limit...but still good advice. Yup, pretty much me. I'd also hope that this **** is common sense, but apparently it isn't. I can't believe people write books about this.

I'd like to add to this to common sense **** you should do already: Pirate as many movies and software as possible. For the cheap price of an offshore seedbox, you can become untraceable and enjoy endless entertainment options for free. Shop at Aldi's for food. It's delicious and cheaper than everywhere. Trader Joe's is a good substitute if you're into that organic ****. The thrift store in uppity rich man areas are the **** because the rich *******s take their never-worn-still-with-tags Prada shirts there and you can buy them for $10 each. Mow your own damn lawn, etc, etc.[/QUOTE

Well, I do almost everything you do except the pirating, I'm a value thief, if something is worth buying I'll buy it. The bogleheads book is worth having on paper to always refer to. I own a kindle but I still bought the hard copy for that reason and to pass it on to others.

You can still qualify to contribute to a ROTH IRA with high incomes using the backdoor Roth method, google it. So you still can max out the 401k and a Roth every year.
 
Loved reading your post!! Currently in my P3 year and am counting down the months when I can have my adult life back with a good paycheck. Just reading your post made me smile as I vicariously enjoyed the rewards of your accomplishment, and your relief. Every time I feel like I will never get to the end of this process intact I am going to search for this post and read it over slowly just to remind myself of what will await me at the end. Enjoy it! You have EARNED it!
 
Pirate as many movies and software as possible. For the cheap price of an offshore seedbox, you can become untraceable and enjoy endless entertainment options for free.

Come on son.

Personally I buy my music through iTunes and buy my computer software because I don't like stealing. Call me crazy.

Another good way to get stuff for free. Tap someone on the shoulder and just show them your new Smith & Wesson 357 magnum. Ask em "What's up?" For some reason they always give ya a couple bucks. Free moneyz.
 
Come on son.

Personally I buy my music through iTunes and buy my computer software because I don't like stealing. Call me crazy.

Another good way to get stuff for free. Tap someone on the shoulder and just show them your new Smith & Wesson 357 magnum. Ask em "What's up?" For some reason they always give ya a couple bucks. Free moneyz.

Copying is not stealing.
 
Right.....until someone steals your idea and makes money off of it without sharing with you. What will you say then?
 
Right.....until someone steals your idea and makes money off of it without sharing with you. What will you say then?

Why is it "my" idea? I invented a way to treat pain in patients who were on a naltrexone depot and unresponsive to ketorolac. Do I get royalties when people google that **** and come to the thread I made on here? No, because my idea was just the natural evolution of knowledge...based upon billions of manpower hours that led to me becoming educated with their past knowledge and experiences...and thus allowing me to come up with a creative solution to a problem nobody else has ever used before.

What kind of hubris is it really to claim that one person really invented anything "by themselves."

Let's put a baby on an island with one of those gerbil feeders until they are 18 years old and let's see what they can "invent." I mean...if people really invent things "by themselves."

---

So bottom line, I wouldn't really care. Money doesn't interest me outside of the whole "giving me financial security" thing...and that's pretty much all patents are good for. Protecting the financial impact of "intellectual property."
 
That's because of your inability to patent and market your idea. Your loss.

Patent the process and back it up with enough in the pocket to protect your idea and go after the ones who use it without paying your royalties. It's been done before and happens everyday.

The system is in place. "You" just can't pull it off. That doesn't make it right for you to steal movies and music you aren't paying for and thereby trying to justify it saying all intellectual property should be an open platform.



Why is it "my" idea? I invented a way to treat pain in patients who were on a naltrexone depot and unresponsive to ketorolac. Do I get royalties when people google that **** and come to the thread I made on here? No, because my idea was just the natural evolution of knowledge...based upon billions of manpower hours that led to me becoming educated with their past knowledge and experiences...and thus allowing me to come up with a creative solution to a problem nobody else has ever used before.

What kind of hubris is it really to claim that one person really invented anything "by themselves."

Let's put a baby on an island with one of those gerbil feeders until they are 18 years old and let's see what they can "invent." I mean...if people really invent things "by themselves."

---

So bottom line, I wouldn't really care. Money doesn't interest me outside of the whole "giving me financial security" thing...and that's pretty much all patents are good for. Protecting the financial impact of "intellectual property."
 
That's because of your inability to patent and market your idea. Your loss.

Patent the process and back it up with enough in the pocket to protect your idea and go after the ones who use it without paying your royalties. It's been done before and happens everyday.

The system is in place. "You" just can't pull it off. That doesn't make it right for you to steal movies and music you aren't paying for and thereby trying to justify it saying all intellectual property should be an open platform.

There is no such thing as intellectual property. It's more or less just a made up concept so that those with massive amounts of capital can keep the ideas of those they employ for maximal profit. I'm against the entire concept of people "owning" ideas. Dude who invented penicillin agrees with me. The man was a true hero and understood how **** really is. "I figured this out. It belongs to the world. Enjoy."
 
There is no such thing as intellectual property in my little world. It's more or less just a made up concept so that those with massive amounts of capital can keep the ideas of those they employ for maximal profit which I'm a slave to. I'm against the entire concept of people "owning" ideas because it doesn't benefit me.

fify

:meanie:
 
There is no such thing as intellectual property. It's more or less just a made up concept so that those with massive amounts of capital can keep the ideas of those they employ for maximal profit. I'm against the entire concept of people "owning" ideas. Dude who invented penicillin agrees with me. The man was a true hero and understood how **** really is. "I figured this out. It belongs to the world. Enjoy."

Agreed, and it was his to give away.

How is music/movies "ideas" anyway? That is the product of people's time and money, but "just" their ideas. It is theft no matter how you slice it. I am not saying I have never done it or will never ever do it again, but at least own up to it.
 

Whatevs. In all honesty, if I invented a drug that cured AIDS, I wouldn't patent it. I'd give that **** away for free. I wouldn't feel right taking the countless manhours that have been spent investigating and understanding the virus and cherry picking the very, very last little minute bit of science needed to reach finality of the problem and pretend I singlehandedly invented the solution by myself.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Agreed, and it was his to give away.

How is music/movies "ideas" anyway? That is the product of people's time and money, but "just" their ideas. It is theft no matter how you slice it. I am not saying I have never done it or will never ever do it again, but at least own up to it.

Legally, its considered theft. Sure. I disagree with the law.

I'd probably thrive in a communist country...mostly because I'm above the bull**** rat race thing. I understand, though...everyone else can't...they need some idiotic carrot dangled in front of them.
 
Whatevs. In all honesty, if I invented a drug that cured AIDS, I wouldn't patent it. I'd give that **** away for free. I wouldn't feel right taking the countless manhours that have been spent investigating and understanding the virus and cherry picking the very, very last little minute bit of science needed to reach finality of the problem and pretend I singlehandedly invented the solution by myself.

STFU with your 5th grade logic. You're smarter than that.

In order to treat the masses of AIDS patients with your invention, you will still need someone to subsidize the manufacturing process. It means you need to patent it and charge those who can pay for it (US and the rest of developed countries) and give it away to those who can't afford it.

Don't let your anger cloud your intelligence...angry young man.

:meanie:
 
STFU with your 5th grade logic. You're smarter than that.

In order to treat the masses of AIDS patients with your invention, you will still need someone to subsidize the manufacturing process. It means you need to patent it and charge those who can pay for it (US and the rest of developed countries) and give it away to those who can't afford it.

Don't let your anger cloud your intelligence...angry young man.

:meanie:

I'm pretty sure I could scrap together enough good will from Unicef, the UN, and others to get that **** going knowing I had a functional solution to give away to humanity.

I'm old now, btw. I've graduated to crazy old man.

That makes you ancient, I think.
 
STFU with your 5th grade logic. You're smarter than that.

In order to treat the masses of AIDS patients with your invention, you will still need someone to subsidize the manufacturing process. It means you need to patent it and charge those who can pay for it (US and the rest of developed countries) and give it away to those who can't afford it.

Don't let your anger cloud your intelligence...angry young man.

:meanie:

Working nights at CVS has clouded this young mans brain. It is almost to the point he sounds like someone from California...you know those crazy, angry, tree hugging liberals.
 
Working nights at CVS has clouded this young mans brain. It is almost to the point he sounds like someone from California...you know those crazy, angry, tree hugging liberals.

:meanie:

I'm building an arsenal to protect myself from them!!! Got a shotgun with an assault pistol grip and adjustable stock!! Trying to get my Glock from Texas....what a nightmare dang it.

And playing with buddies AR 15...fun as hell!
 
Legally, its considered theft. Sure. I disagree with the law.

No, you disagree with our Constitution.

Article I, Section 8, Clause 8:
To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.

Copyright has been around for hundreds of years. The "carrot" is what drives innovation. Without protection very few would innovate. I'm sorry. You are just clearly wrong. And theft limits the progress of society.
 
Can we go back to the topic at hand.

So OP, how was Sizzler last night... I used to like the all you can eat shrimp back when I was a kid but these days, way too much breading. The salad bar is pretty decent but their steaks are really hit or miss. I'm not expecting USDA prime or anything, this is Sizzler after all but it can get tough. Another thing, have you noticed that they stopped offering A1 steak sauce, what the heck, only their Sizzler sauce, which is not the same, at all, I don't care what the waitress thinks.

The only good thing really left is their toasted bread. Now that's some good toasted bread. I always ask for seconds.
 
Can we go back to the topic at hand.

So OP, how was Sizzler last night... I used to like the all you can eat shrimp back when I was a kid but these days, way too much breading. The salad bar is pretty decent but their steaks are really hit or miss. I'm not expecting USDA prime or anything, this is Sizzler after all but it can get tough. Another thing, have you noticed that they stopped offering A1 steak sauce, what the heck, only their Sizzler sauce, which is not the same, at all, I don't care what the waitress thinks.

The only good thing really left is their toasted bread. Now that's some good toasted bread. I always ask for seconds.

No sizzler but maybe next time i'll bring them there lol.
 
PS: To the original poster, I just worked 21.5 hours the last 2 days at an independent pharmacy. Getting paid cash. Feels good man. #straightcashhomey

Don't be too happy if your employer pays you cash. In the short term/part time, it's ok. Getting paid cash means you and your employer don't contribute to social security. It mostly only benefit the employer since he is saving 6.2%. That's like waiving social security income ~$30k/year income index to inflation from 65 year old until you die.
 
At the Sizzler the most expensive thing on the menu is the steak and lobster tail. $19.99 but sometimes $21.99.

You must be a regular patron at sizzler to know their most expensive menu.... My experience with sizzler has been meh...
 
First RPh check is like getting a student loan check ($3K+). It's when you get your second check two weeks later when it sinks in.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes.

WVU doesn't just disagree with a dumb law passed with little/no bipartisan support, to pander to a certain voter. He disagrees with the Supreme Law of the United States which all of our representatives, from both parties, swear to God to uphold.

The constitution was written by a bunch of slave owners from the Victorian era that were generally bright individuals for that period of time, but nothing close to infallible. Especially in the context of the modern world. Their idiotic idea to put something about the right of people to bare arms was taken so hilariously out of context, we have more guns deaths than the rest of the civilized world combined. Not to say its not useful or anything, its just not perfect. And it just so happens to be the law of the land. And, yes, I still disagree with the concept of claiming wholesale ownership of ideas for the reasons I mentioned earlier. No idea or work art is completely one person's. It's the sum total of all human experience that led up to the moment they did what they did. So, again, I disagree with the concept of copyrighting any sort of intellectual property.

I know, blah blah blah, capitalist theory about not having any incentive to make things...whatever. The Russians beat us to outer space and they were a damned communist regime. With a fraction of the resources we had. Certainly driven individuals still got things done without worrying about copyright laws. Art will still be made. The only real problem I see is how the entire modern world is obsessed more with how things can be monetized as a primary mechanism for anything to be done.

But like I said, I'd probably be happy as hell somewhere like Sweden...I'd move, but then I wouldn't be able to see WVU football or basketball...so eff that...
 
Their idiotic idea to put something about the right of people to bare arms was taken so hilariously out of context, we have more guns deaths than the rest of the civilized world combined.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with this guy's rights...

381013.jpg