Got my cDAT scores, chance of getting into dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nerdatwork

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I wrote the cDAT in Nov 2017 and got the scores this morning.

RC-18
BIO - 23
Chem - 23
PAT - 18
TS - 23
AA - 21

Disappointed in PAT, was hoping for a 20. RC is my weakest section so I am happy that I got over 17. *Also, does anyone know where to see the percentiles?

I have a ~3.4 gpa and A LOT of research experience. I even worked for a year at a big biotech company. What are my chances of getting into a Canadian dental school? How about American schools? I can graduate any time soon and get my BSc but I am thinking of options to make myself more competitive if I do not get into dental school right away. Do I take extra classes to boost my gpa or should I start a Master's in 2018? I would rather do a Master's and save the money for it instead of taking random classes as a 5th/6th year student.

Feedback is very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't you need something like a 3.9 for Canadian dental schools? I have often heard that international applicants need to have higher stats than the average U.S. applicant, but Canadians seem to be getting into some private schools just fine with stats like yours. You might have a shot at American schools if you apply to many private schools.

Last edited:
American schools is your best bet. If you have volunteer work, and a degree you can apply to western or Schulick I think (Ontario) and McGill Uni since they will require an autobiography. Within the province you are from, you have a higher chance than other provinces since they take their "people" before look at other applicants- unless you are a 4.0. Your DAT is good. But schools in CA only take 25% of your DAT score and 50% your GPA.(see there is always a BUT).If you have a few hundred dollars to spare- no one does- You could still apply everywhere, you never know what on your application would catch their eye. If they require an autobiography, you have a chance to prove yourself- beside your grades. I'm in the same boat. I have a little higher GPA, but I tanked my DAT. I am happy at least I scored 30 on the carving, but NO ONE cares about carving. Just don't give up keep trying no matter what route you decide to take. I guess Ill have to retake the DAT at least that's my plan for now.

Hmm for some Canadian schools youre gonna need a RC of at least 22 to get past the first phase, and then your AA will be used for interviews. This is for Western and UofT i believe. You also want at least a 3.8 GPA. For canada, I would say you ideally want 21+ on the DAT because OOP is very hard.
The Nov DAT was super hard in my opinion though, especially the RC portion. I think you're probably ok for American schools though.