Got Propofol?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tucker27705

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what the status of propofol is at other institutions. We are still very limited here. Pharmacy currently says the shortage is expected to ease at the end of the month.
What have you guys experienced/heard?
Tuck

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering what the status of propofol is at other institutions. We are still very limited here. Pharmacy currently says the shortage is expected to ease at the end of the month.
What have you guys experienced/heard?
Tuck

I'm on the West Coast. I'm told we have plenty. That said, we seem to be using a generic brand (Fresenius) which, subjectively, seems to be less potent.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was at an ambulatory surgery center last week and asked how the shortage affected them. I was told they had run uncomfortably low for a bit but are fine now. This was northern NJ.

A couple months ago I was rotating at a small hospital in NE NJ and I asked a couple of the anes attendings about it. They said they were unaware of any shortage and if there was one it hadn't had any effect on them.

i'm in vegas... we were short in december... but only on the east side of town. west side (more affluent) was fine. go figure.

no shortage this month afaik.

Never had any shortage of anything. California. Both military & civilian hospitals.

My US gov't hospital in Germany ran out of the proprietary Diprivan several months ago. We're now using some European version which, I'm told, isn't yet FDA approved for use in the states. Seems to be about same potency. Interestingly it doesn't burn on injection, even without lidocaine beforehand.