Got waitlisted but different plan..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2DEG

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all:

I genuinely wanted some well thought suggestions from you folks. I just got my first waitlist (no acceptances yet) from UVM. I really like UVM and Vermont, but the tuition/living cost is prohibitively expensive for me and my family (wife and a kid). My wife currently does not work. Even if she were able to get a job, it would bring maybe 25/30K per year before tax.

If UVM was my only acceptance and I did not get into any of my state schools, would you still consider going to UVM if you were in my shoes?

My plan is to apply for financial aid for UVM (after I get off the waitlist) to see what kind of aid package I get. By that time, if I get any good news from my state schools - that would be awesome. Otherwise, I might let it go this year, take MCAT in August and re-apply to maybe 10 schools total where I know I can manage the tuition/living cost.

I don't know if I confused everyone. But let me know your thoughts. Thanks!!

S.

Members don't see this ad.

That's a tough call. I think it would boil down to your family's comfort level with moving to Vermont and living there for at least four years. I'm sure you will be around as much as possible, but that doesn't boil down to much time; if your wife and kid are not happy with Vermont, are not able to live the way they want because of financial issues, and don't have friends or family nearby, they could become miserable very quickly.

Hopefully this is a premature question and you will get some more palatable acceptances soon. I'm sort of in a similar situation, except that I have multiple acceptances. If I were single and commitment-free, it would be much easier to decide where to go. My wife and I have a one-month-old, though, and the same questions as yours have been running through my mind.

shahab said:
Hey all:

I genuinely wanted some well thought suggestions from you folks. I just got my first waitlist (no acceptances yet) from UVM. I really like UVM and Vermont, but the tuition/living cost is prohibitively expensive for me and my family (wife and a kid). My wife currently does not work. Even if she were able to get a job, it would bring maybe 25/30K per year before tax.

If UVM was my only acceptance and I did not get into any of my state schools, would you still consider going to UVM if you were in my shoes?

My plan is to apply for financial aid for UVM (after I get off the waitlist) to see what kind of aid package I get. By that time, if I get any good news from my state schools - that would be awesome. Otherwise, I might let it go this year, take MCAT in August and re-apply to maybe 10 schools total where I know I can manage the tuition/living cost.

S.

To play devil's advocate a bit - you don't always get to pick your med school -- if you snag one, it may be your only one. You'd be forever kicking yourself if you passed on an acceptance and then either didn't do so hot on the August MCAT, or got no love elsewhere next year (especially a possibility since you are limiting your sites to so few other schools). If you get in at UVM, I'd take a long serious look at how much financial aid you can get, and how much you think you can reasonably feasibly borrow without breaking. Just my 2 cents -- good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Law2Doc said:
To play devil's advocate a bit - you don't always get to pick your med school -- if you snag one, it may be your only one. You'd be forever kicking yourself if you passed on an acceptance and then either didn't do so hot on the August MCAT, or got no love elsewhere next year (especially a possibility since you are limiting your sites to so few other schools). If you get in at UVM, I'd take a long serious look at how much financial aid you can get, and how much you think you can reasonably feasibly borrow without breaking. Just my 2 cents -- good luck.

Thanks blee and Law2doc for your replies. Law2Doc..my train of thought was exactly that. I cannot predict the outcome of my next years application and August MCAT score. I have decided to write a letter of intention to UVM and if I get an acceptance offer, I am going to seriously consider it and review my financial aspects.

I think the reason I may not get in to my state schools is that I have not taken upper division biological sciences courses to prove that I can do well not only in pre-med courses but also in upper level courses. So, this Spring, I will be finishing up 3 upper level courses and I will try my best to do well.

If I don't get into my state schools, I am gonna try to meet with the admissions directors and tell them what I am planning to do and also ask them how I can improve my situation.

It is a risky thing to give up an offer (IF I get one from UVM). But in the end, I might have to do that and see if I can get into my state school next year.

Again, Thank you for your comments. Its a little too early to take any decision..but gotta think about it though.

shahab said:
Hey all:

S.

If UVM is your only acceptance take it! I've heard of people who turn down their only acceptance to "strengthen their application" and reapply the following year only to get rejected from everywhere. Turning down your only acceptance sends a message to adcoms that you didn't really want to be a doctor anyways.

Don't think about the extra money that you'd be paying...think about how much you'd lose by putting off your physician salary for another year. Depending on your specialty you could lose 120-500k of lifetime income. That is enough to pay for med school (and depending on your specialty you could even have some additional income).

It would be extremely foolish to turn down your only md acceptance. "A bird in the hand..."

UCLA2000 said:
If UVM is your only acceptance take it! I've heard of people who turn down their only acceptance to "strengthen their application" and reapply the following year only to get rejected from everywhere. Turning down your only acceptance sends a message to adcoms that you didn't really want to be a doctor anyways.

Don't think about the extra money that you'd be paying...think about how much you'd lose by putting off your physician salary for another year. Depending on your specialty you could lose 120-500k of lifetime income. That is enough to pay for med school (and depending on your specialty you could even have some additional income).

It would be extremely foolish to turn down your only md acceptance. "A bird in the hand..."
Sorry, but if UVM were my only acceptance, my wife would tell me to go by myself.* That basically translates to one of two thing: "no way in hell," or "have a nice divorce."

A year of lost salary is very expensive, to be sure. A lifetime with my family? No comparison. There's more to life than med school, and in the precious few moments one has outside of classes and the library, you want the rest of your life to be fulfilling.

*This has nothing to do with UVM's quality as a med school, just its location.

Okay just asking but if you were never thinking of going or could not move to Vermont why did you apply there? if you get an acceptance and do not go this will not look good (although yes some folks reapply and get in but these are in the minority) for future applications for medical schools will know that you were once accepted...they will ask or might ask why did you apply? This is whay it is so important to hash this out with partners BEFORE you send in applications do not apply to places you have no intention of matriculating at.

blee said:
Sorry, but if UVM were my only acceptance, my wife would tell me to go by myself.* That basically translates to one of two thing: "no way in hell," or "have a nice divorce."

A year of lost salary is very expensive, to be sure. A lifetime with my family? No comparison. There's more to life than med school, and in the precious few moments one has outside of classes and the library, you want the rest of your life to be fulfilling.

*This has nothing to do with UVM's quality as a med school, just its location.

You didn't mention the part about your wife divorcing you in you went to UVM in your original post. Are you 100% sure that she would take that stance? Have you discussed it with her? What is her reasoning.

Then again, this is all premature since you don't have a UVM acceptance yet.

shahab said:
Hey all:

S.

Hi there,
You have a few options: First, you do not have an acceptance, you are waitlisted. Should your obtain one, the school will provide enough financial aid for you to attend and live indoors. Will you live in luxury? No, but you can make it though living frugally. If you need extra, you will have to look to private loan sources to make up the difference. This is why attending medical school is is bit more complicated for the non-traditional student with a family. It is not impossible but it takes more planning and more resources. Make a budget for the year (plan on working during the summer between your first and second year). During first and second year, medical schools budget you for nine months not twelve. You need to have a plan for the entire year especially if you have a family.

Second, you may not end up with an acceptance. If this becomes the case, figure out how you can improve your application and re-apply to your state schools next year leaving the "prohibitively expensive" schools off your application list. If you do re-take the MCAT, make sure that you can improve your score i.e. you need to know exactly where your weaknesses were and improve them. If you do not, and end up with a mediocre score, you can actually hurt your chances of acceptance next year. Look at your whole application and improve everything that is in your hands.

Your financial aid stuff for Vermont and any other schools that you have interviewed, should be done at this point. It does not hurt to do your financial aid stuff at the same time your do your interview and it saves lots of time. You should also be in touch with the financial aid office at Vermont to look for scholarships that you might qualify for. If nothing else, you have information that will be useful next year that will be applicable to other schools.

Third, if you DO get an acceptance this year, you might not get one next year or even the year after. Things change from year to year and you can't anticipate what the competition will be either at your state schools or Vermont. If you get an acceptance, get your resources together and find a way to attend.

Remember, waitlist does not equal acceptance and you do not have a choice between medical schools at this point. If you want to be a physician, and Vermont is your only acceptance (should that happen), you need to take it and run. If you are fortunate enough to obtain multiple acceptances, then your options change.

njbmd :)

efex101 said:
Okay just asking but if you were never thinking of going or could not move to Vermont why did you apply there? if you get an acceptance and do not go this will not look good (although yes some folks reapply and get in but these are in the minority) for future applications for medical schools will know that you were once accepted...they will ask or might ask why did you apply? This is whay it is so important to hash this out with partners BEFORE you send in applications do not apply to places you have no intention of matriculating at.

Hi efex101..

Honestly, perhaps I should've thought harder before I applied to expensive schools. But I also thought that my wife would be able to get a job at a medical center or some research related areas earning 20-30K per year. She is a foreign medical graduate but don't have any degree from the U.S. But I think if we tried hard enough, she could manage a job.

We are also expecting a second child. So..that will mean my wife may not be able to work for a while. So, thats the main reason why I am thinking harder about decision about med school - that is, whether I should take up an offer from out of state or take my chances and re-apply next year with improved MCAT score, more classwork etc.

We will see. I do realize my question was a pre-mature question. For all I know, I might not get in. But I am thinking about sending a letter of intention to UVM which will increase my chances there. But I am still hoping my state schools will show me some love this year.

Thanks all..and Merry Christmas!

Shahab

UCLA2000 said:
You didn't mention the part about your wife divorcing you in you went to UVM in your original post. Are you 100% sure that she would take that stance? Have you discussed it with her? What is her reasoning.

Then again, this is all premature since you don't have a UVM acceptance yet.

Hey..I think you misunderstood. Blee mentioned that divorce thing. He was just saying that his wife may not like it if he decides to go to a place like UVM.

My wife is very supportive about my decision. We obviously prefer to stay in NC..but she will support me if I decide to go to out of state.

Thanks,
S.

Hi njbmd

Thanks for your well thought reply - very much appreciate it. I think I can increase my chances of getting acceptance by writing letter of interest. I think I am gonna do that. In January, I am gonna go ahead and submit FAFSA. Should I get an offer, I would like to see what the financial aid package is like.

You are right about re-taking MCAT. I think I know my weaknesses. I need to take some more classes and do well and take MCAT and get a decent score. I have 27O now.

The only negative thing about re-applying next year is, I can't take April MCAT because of my work schedule. So, I will have to take the August MCAT. So, I won't be able to apply early in the cycle.

Merry Christmas!
S.

njbmd said:
Hi there,
If you do re-take the MCAT, make sure that you can improve your score i.e. you need to know exactly where your weaknesses were and improve them. If you do not, and end up with a mediocre score, you can actually hurt your chances of acceptance next year. Look at your whole application and improve everything that is in your hands.