Gotta love that 6.8% fixed interest rate.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Igor4sugry

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently I looked at our loan balances right at beginning of PGY-I and right at beginning of PGY-III. In 2 years loan balance increased by $40k. We are both residents, have about $470k right now total, will definetely break $500k by end of PGY-IV. Gotta love that fixed 6.8% interest rate.

Members don't see this ad.

Recently I looked at our loan balances right at beginning of PGY-I and right at beginning of PGY-III. In 2 years loan balance increased by $40k. We are both residents, have about $470k right now total, will definetely break $500k by end of PGY-IV. Gotta love that fixed 6.8% interest rate.

Have you looked into the SoFi options? Might get a lower rate, though you'd lose some of the special benefits of the student loans by converting...

But if you go to SOFI you need to make full payment right? There is no way a resident can pay 2K a month on loan payments.

I'm not sure what the options are for payments, but I doubt they have anything like PAYE or PSLF. Those are some of the benefits of keeping the loans federal. I looked at some of the SoFi options for my loans, but none of them could beat my rate when I consolidated...

You can always split your loans and have sofi take over with a lower interest rate and keep the rest with federal.better that way.Use my referral link in my signature to get $100 off if you are approved after registering.Dosent hurt to try.All the best

You can always split your loans and have sofi take over with a lower interest rate and keep the rest with federal.better that way.Use my referral link in my signature to get $100 off if you are approved after registering.Dosent hurt to try.All the best

How does that work, they just give you whatever dollar amount you ask for/qualify for...and then you apply to the loans?

I'd be curious how much they would let you refinance with an income of $50K.