Gotta pick between Kentucky, Louisville, and Cincinnati... Any opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tugbug

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am told Cincinnati is a great school, but its the one I know the least about. UK and UL seem similar to me... with UK having better 1st two years, but UL having better clinicals.

Anyone with a similar decision or with any input... I would love to hear from you. I'm just starting to try to make a decision. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i dont know too much about all those schools...

but i would consider cincy my choice over the others...

they have a great peds program and since that is what i am interested in i think it would be beneficial for me to go to med school there as i think about my future.

congrats on getting in....

they dont like me haha.

Looks like you have enough acceptances not to worry about cincy ...congrats. I toured the childrens hospital in cincy and it (as well as the peds program in general) looks great. But Peds doesnt interest me. Cincy also apparently has a good ER program, but its a 4 yr. which is less appealing.

Cincy is out of state so it is a tough sell for me to move away and spend the extra money without good reason. Any cincy enthusiasts that would like to sell their school? Theres a free lunch involved if I matriculate:D

Members don't see this ad :)
what are you interested in tugbug? or do you need to taste the medical "buffet" first to see what you like?

Im most interested in Emergency med with Neurol. close behind... But its wide open... and I dont feel like I will know what I like until Ive gotten more experience.

Youre going peds? I work with several peds docs who might suggest another field... although, while they are telling me to go in a different direction they sure seem to enjoy what they are doing.

if you wanna join a real winner, how about 7 national championships, the most victorious program, and currently ranked #1... "KENTUCKY!" (i'm talking about basketball for all you gunners who have never seen a sporting event)

but seriously, i'm biased torwards UK. i finished my last two years of high school in lexington. i did tour the med school during my anatomy class field trip and it still holds up as being pretty nice compared to what i've seen so far. i loved living in lexington and i felt that louisville and cincy was nice to visit but not to live in. thats just my case.

Thanks for the responses. How bout those cats!!!

I like Lexington as well and have lived there... but I also like Louisville... so thats a wash for me.

As for the tuition difference, Cincy will only cost a total of $10K more over the four years as after one year its instate tuition there.

So, really I'm trying to pick based on curriculum type - Cincy and UK seem more modern, clinical exposure - UL & cincy seem better here, and match opportunities after graduation. The problem is it seems there is really no good way to judge all the stuff that should go into this decision until youre actually there and in school... and then its too late lol.

Congrats on your acceptances. At Cinci we are all in a test week, so you wont get too many replies, but if you run a search in the preallo forum for Cinci and Cincinnati you will pull up bunch of things about the school.

They are building a new medical school and research bldg., so you will be in a bit of a construction period for a little of the time here, but we have an awesome peds program, surgery, and Emergency Med, as well as others. There are always a lot of positives and negatives for every school, so I implore you to make a list for all the schools and see what really matters to you. If you have any specific questions please feel free to email me.

Also, Cincinnati may have some tuition reciprocity depending on where you live in Kentucky.

Oh, and we also have a pretty sweet basketball program as well as Xavier right next door...that is if you judge medical schools by their respective undergrad athletic programs (isn't UCLA the most winning of BBall programs in the US???)

Thanks for the response Tysoncook. Ive searched for all 3 schools and learned a lot about each. Its a lot to absorb and tough to compare...

Originally posted by TysonCook
(isn't UCLA the most winning of BBall programs in the US???) [/B]

Kentucky has won more games by a pretty good margin, but UCLA has won more national championships. UK is a better program just cause we've won them continuously over the last 50 or 60 years.

Of course I'm probably biased........:cool:

Originally posted by potuhusky
if you wanna join a real winner, how about 7 national championships, the most victorious program, and currently ranked #1... "KENTUCKY!" (i'm talking about basketball for all you gunners who have never seen a sporting event)

but seriously, i'm biased torwards UK. i finished my last two years of high school in lexington. i did tour the med school during my anatomy class field trip and it still holds up as being pretty nice compared to what i've seen so far. i loved living in lexington and i felt that louisville and cincy was nice to visit but not to live in. thats just my case.

I forgot to tell you that the red school down I-64 beat that team you're talking about.