campti01

I jog in Lanvin
5+ Year Member
May 9, 2012
I'm accepted at Goucher and JHU and am deciding on which one to attend.

A big distinction between the programs is that JHU students take classes with undergrads while Goucher classes are post-bac only. I see the advantages to both approaches here and prefer Goucher's, but think I'd be fine either way.

Secondly, I have a very strong interest in attending UPenn for med school- JHU has linkage here and Goucher does not. That seems like a pretty big deal to me, but I don't know how much weight to give it. How important is this?

Beyond the classes and Penn linkage, are there other major considerations I should be mindful of?

Thank you.

darkjedi

how did this get here I am not good with computer
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2009
I'm accepted at Goucher and JHU and am deciding on which one to attend.

A big distinction between the programs is that JHU students take classes with undergrads while Goucher classes are post-bac only. I see the advantages to both approaches here and prefer Goucher's, but think I'd be fine either way.

Secondly, I have a very strong interest in attending UPenn for med school- JHU has linkage here and Goucher does not. That seems like a pretty big deal to me, but I don't know how much weight to give it. How important is this?

Beyond the classes and Penn linkage, are there other major considerations I should be mindful of?

Thank you.
Hello Campti,

Linkage is a good way to skip the year that most post-bacs would normally have to take in order to apply. I'm not sure what your stats are, but those who have successfully linked to Penn typically have ~3.8 GPAs as well as impressive life experiences. However, taking that extra year to do something like research can also boost your application if it is slightly lacking.

Those I know that have gone through the Goucher program have said they enjoyed it, while the ones that went through JHU tend to be a bit more tempered in their opinion about it. These stories are only anecdotal however.

Also keep in mind that I would say many of the people who went into postbac thinking they wanted to link wound up deciding not to. Deciding to link is definitely not a decision that you should feel like you need to make now, and I would say to actually not put too much emphasis on it.

Jun 26, 2012
Status
Hi. I have an upcoming interview at Goucher and was wondering if you could give me insight into how it went. Were there any questions you didn't anticipate? I was recently rejected at Bryn Mawr (I'm not sure that I interviewed well), so I would appreciate any help you can provide about the Goucher interview. Thanks!!!!!

Feb 20, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm deciding between JHU and UVA and am wondering the same. JHU has great prestige and connections, but I've heard it's a bit competitive and not quite as community/support oriented...

OP
campti01

campti01

I jog in Lanvin
5+ Year Member
May 9, 2012
Hey! Sorry about not seeing your posts. I ended up going with JHU. I was super impressed with the staff and felt that it would be more academically demanding.

Though some people can be a bit uncomfortable with how their performance relates to others, I have been blown away by the strength of the community here. People are extremely willing to share time and resources. I have met some really incredible people in Post Bac and feel confident that I made the right choice (for me).

We think that maybe the program directors were aware of the JHU program's reputation as almost all of us were asked how we are in social situations and in our friend groups. The program is remarkably warm and often very buddy-buddy.