Dec 6, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey all, just put down $$ to reserve my spot in Goucher's Class of 2011-12. Looking forward to it! Seeing who all has applied / gotten accepted / is planning to go. Didn't see an existing thread like this, so post here!

Last edited:
OP
Z
Dec 6, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Cool, I think I saw on another thread that you were considering JHU too? In the end I also had to choose between these two programs.. I felt like Goucher was a safer bet, but yeah I wasn't 100% either way. Seems likely that I'll see you in the summer though.

EJS1979

10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I just wanted to say congratulations! I finished the Goucher program last year and could not have loved it any more. If you have any questions before you get started, don't hesitate to let me know.

betterlate

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Congratulations on your acceptance! Like EJS, I finished the Goucher program last May. I loved my time there and can't recommend them highly enough. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have (either about the program, or about student life, etc. Good luck!

EJS1979

10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Thanks EJS and betterlate! I have actually been wondering about how the Goucher program helps out (or if they help at all) with upper-division classes that some medical schools require or "highly recommend" (like genetics, biochem, etc.). Did you or your classmates take these kinds of courses (where/how, if so)?

Also, do you know anybody from Goucher that applied to the University of Washington? I'm curious because I'm a WA resident, so the UW would be an awesome/top choice. It looks like from the website that there have been some matriculants, but it seems that the majority of Goucher grads end up going to east coast med schools.
A lot of my classmates are currently taking biochem during their glide year (I'm not sure what they'll take next semester). Goucher helps a lot with finding good glide year jobs, and since many of them are at academic research centers, taking a class or two seems to be pretty easy. During your actual year at Goucher, taking any extra classes just isn't feasible unless you don't need to take one of the prereqs, and even then, the extra class you take depends on scheduling and probably shouldn't be anything too taxing. If you plan to link and won't have the glide year to take any extra classes, no need to worry -- none of the linkage schools require additional courses. I ended up linking, and even though I have no biochem experience at all, cellular bio isn't too terribly difficult. (It's the most boring thing I've ever done in my life, but I don't think not taking it previously is hurting me at all.)

As for UW, I don't think Goucher has had too many Washington-staters, so I'm guessing that's the reason people don't often matriculate there. I know a lot of my classmates have had interviews in California and other non-East places this year, but I think the usual pull to East coast schools lies primarily with the fact that most (but definitely not all) Goucher postbacs come from the Atlantic side.

betterlate

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
Status
Medical Student
To anyone who has already been accepted/rejected or otherwise heard back from their programs (JHU, BM, Goucher, Temple, etc.), can you give a sense of the time line since the date you submitted the application?

I sent in all of my applications in early December and have already heard back from one school (JHU). Just wanted to get an idea of the turnaround for the other ones.
This time of year the response time from Goucher gets longer. This is when 1) the current class hits final exams & 2) starts preparing/submitting applications to link schools which means, 3) the director and co-director are hard at work on committee letters & editing personal statements, etc, and also 4) students and faculty are on vacation. There was often a quick turnaround time for people hearing back in the early fall, but that lengthened to 2-3+ weeks in December-January. Also, even if you hear back about scheduling an interview, it won't take place until the students are back from winter break.

If another week or so goes by w/o hearing from the program, you might try contacting them just to 'make sure my application is complete/find out if you need any more information from me.' Be polite, don't be demanding! There have been applicants in the past who lost out on a shot at an interview b/c they were incredibly rude in their communications.

betterlate

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Thanks EJS and betterlate! I have actually been wondering about how the Goucher program helps out (or if they help at all) with upper-division classes that some medical schools require or "highly recommend" (like genetics, biochem, etc.). Did you or your classmates take these kinds of courses (where/how, if so)?

Also, do you know anybody from Goucher that applied to the University of Washington? I'm curious because I'm a WA resident, so the UW would be an awesome/top choice. It looks like from the website that there have been some matriculants, but it seems that the majority of Goucher grads end up going to east coast med schools.

ReInventor, sent you a PM.
Parroting EJS, here - most of us came into the program w/o having any prior science coursework. Since we needed to take all of the required coursework @ goucher, there was no time during our year to take anything else. A few had taken physics already, and they enrolled in an alternate class. Obviously their choices were limited to whatever fit into the schedule, plus they did try to take courses that wouldn't take up so much time it would negatively affect their ability to succeed in the core requirements. I think they took Spanish one semester and a medical psych class or medical sociology class the other.

Many of our classmates are taking biochem now while they apply to med school. I also linked, and I'm taking biochem in med school w/o having taken it as an undergrad. While it might have given me a leg up on my current studies, I don't regret not having taken this in the past. Also, I'm far from the only person in our med school class who hasn't had biochem before.

EJS1979

10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Status
Medical Student
QrtrLife -- As BetterLate suggested, you might want give them a quick, but polite, call just to "check that they had received everything." I believe the current class finishes exams either tomorrow or Friday, and I'm not sure anyone will be around next week, so you might want to call in the next day or two. As for JHU, I was put on hold too and then got an acceptance two weeks later, but in the meantime I had already heard back from Goucher, and the decision between those two was pretty easy one for me.

BetterLate -- I love that we are both clearly procrastinating. :)

OP
Z
Dec 6, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
EJS and Betterlate: Thanks for your responses! I did mean that these upper-division reqs would be done during the glide year, I'm absolutely aware that it would not be a good idea to squeeze something like biochem into an already-jam-packed schedule.

But it sounds like from your answers that people have taken these classes during their glide year at other universities (not Goucher). I guess they would just be local uni's? Someone mentioned to me that people also took classes like biochem online or at CC's, but that doesn't sound like it would be all that legit.. to med school admission officers at least.

EJS1979

10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Status
Medical Student
But it sounds like from your answers that people have taken these classes during their glide year at other universities (not Goucher). I guess they would just be local uni's? Someone mentioned to me that people also took classes like biochem online or at CC's, but that doesn't sound like it would be all that legit.. to med school admission officers at least.
The person who stays on to be the TA during the glide year usually takes classes at Goucher, but most people don't stay in Towson, so they'll take classes wherever they're working. Many of my classmates are working for the FDA or the NIH, so they're all taking some biochem class that the NIH offers. Because most people end up doing some sort of research for the glide year, their jobs are generally associated with universities that will offer classes that they might want to take (JHU, Penn,...). I don't know of any of my classmates taking online courses, and I'm not sure about CC's, but I haven't heard anyone mention it.

Betsy spends a lot of time helping people figure out the glide year (the current class had a panel just two weeks ago about possible opportunities), so you'll have plenty of time to get it all sorted out.

Oct 28, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm interested how people feel my application will pan out. I applied about two weeks ago, and understand the holiday slowed their response. I have a 3.5 cum GPA and 3.7 major GPA at a SUNY school. I've volunteered for a few months as a medical assistant, and have completed research internationally on ADHD and sex. Also, I'm mid-Thesis currently, and have been on the swim team at my school for the entirety of my undergraduate career. My SATs are only a 1150 something, but that's largely due because I only started applying myself academically sophomore year. I've managed to get myself together as well as I could in the time being.

Honest. Honest. HONEST opinions... knowing Goucher or Bryn Mawr and what they're looking for... do I have a shot realistically?

Thank you for your help guys!

Lyndsey

darkjedi

how did this get here I am not good with computer
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2009
I'm interested how people feel my application will pan out. I applied about two weeks ago, and understand the holiday slowed their response. I have a 3.5 cum GPA and 3.7 major GPA at a SUNY school. I've volunteered for a few months as a medical assistant, and have completed research internationally on ADHD and sex. Also, I'm mid-Thesis currently, and have been on the swim team at my school for the entirety of my undergraduate career. My SATs are only a 1150 something, but that's largely due because I only started applying myself academically sophomore year. I've managed to get myself together as well as I could in the time being.

Honest. Honest. HONEST opinions... knowing Goucher or Bryn Mawr and what they're looking for... do I have a shot realistically?

Lyndsey
Yes, your only concern may be your SATs, but I think the rest of your application fits well with the top 3 are looking for. I don't think the SATs are that important anyway.

betterlate

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Since you wanted honest, the SAT could be a problem, since these programs tend to like students that would be "safe bets". They want to be reasonably sure that you will kill the MCAT, and I assume they decide this by looking at how good of an SAT, GRE, or other standardized test score you have. Having a low SAT score would be a red flag, despite your strengths in other areas.

You never really know with these things, though.
This is true. They have unofficial benchmark numbers in mind for both the GPA and test scores. Although those numbers aren't set in stone - a relative strength on one part of an application may outweigh a relative weakness in another part - they do play a role in whether or not you'll be invited to interview or accepted after an interview.

Since you can't change your SAT score after the fact, the best you can do is submit an application that is correspondingly stronger in other areas and hope for the best. Also prepare for the interview: dress appropriately, be able to talk in a personable and professional manner, be able to clearly and succinctly explain your story. That way, if you are invited to interview you will be in a position to present yourself in the most positive light.

Good luck!

Oct 28, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
This is true. They have unofficial benchmark numbers in mind for both the GPA and test scores. Although those numbers aren't set in stone - a relative strength on one part of an application may outweigh a relative weakness in another part - they do play a role in whether or not you'll be invited to interview or accepted after an interview.

Since you can't change your SAT score after the fact, the best you can do is submit an application that is correspondingly stronger in other areas and hope for the best. Also prepare for the interview: dress appropriately, be able to talk in a personable and professional manner, be able to clearly and succinctly explain your story. That way, if you are invited to interview you will be in a position to present yourself in the most positive light.

Good luck!
Thank you all for your responses! I'm so nervous about hearing back that I've convinced myself that there's no chance. I've had dreams where I receive a rejection letter :( haha, pathetic right? Do I present a compelling application in regard to other applicants? I worry that I fall in a gray area. I feel if I can get an interview with either school, i'll have a better shot. I'm fairly well spoken and enthusiastic.

Gosh, i'm nervous. How do they notify you of an interview? Are they phone interviews, or do I journey down there? Thanks guys! And wish me luck. :luck:

Lyndsey

betterlate

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Thank you all for your responses! I'm so nervous about hearing back that I've convinced myself that there's no chance. I've had dreams where I receive a rejection letter :( haha, pathetic right? Do I present a compelling application in regard to other applicants? I worry that I fall in a gray area. I feel if I can get an interview with either school, i'll have a better shot. I'm fairly well spoken and enthusiastic.

Gosh, i'm nervous. How do they notify you of an interview? Are they phone interviews, or do I journey down there? Thanks guys! And wish me luck. :luck:

Lyndsey
I understand being nervous. It's a pretty big deal! Unsolicited advice: The good news is, it isn't the only path to med school. If you aren't sure how your application will be received, then why don't you start creating an alternative plan, just in case. Having that in mind might help keep you from being devastated if you receive a rejection letter, and will hopefully keep you on track to medical school. These forums give you plenty of examples of people who have made it to medical school through vastly different paths. Obviously I'm a huge fan of the Goucher, but a) they aren't a guarantee of entrance into med school. If you perform poorly, you aren't getting in regardless of where you do your premed requirements and b) taking premed coursework through some avenue other than formal postbacc won't prevent you from getting into med school; as long as you perform well and have a solid application you will have a good shot.

In response to your other questions, I was invited to interview via phone. If you are in the states and reasonably able to travel, they'll expect an in-person interview. They only do phone interviews w/ candidates who are living internationally at the time of the interview.

Good luck!

betterlate

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Bump and I'd be interested in that, too.
They get something like 300-500 applications/year. I don't know how many people are invited to interview. They do NOT over-enroll. Since some people who are accepted end up choosing other programs, Goucher obviously ends up offering acceptance to >30 pple/cycle, but they stop accepting once the program is full.

PostBacKid

5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2010
Status
Betterlate (or anyone else)

Do you have a perspective on Goucher versus JHU???

I'm trying to decide between the two and am very torn. To me, Goucher would be a great fit because the classes are separate from undergrads. Though JHU has more attractive linkage options. They're both a tie in terms of location and overall postbac class size.

I've heard the grading at JHU can be a bit harsh...and the students at Goucher are generally happier. Do you have any additional thoughts??

Thanks!!!

betterlate

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
Status
Medical Student

I'm trying to decide between the two and am very torn. To me, Goucher would be a great fit because the classes are separate from undergrads. Though JHU has more attractive linkage options. They're both a tie in terms of location and overall postbac class size.

I've heard the grading at JHU can be a bit harsh...and the students at Goucher are generally happier. Do you have any additional thoughts??

Thanks!!!
Grain of salt: I love Goucher. There's my bias. In addition, I don't have any personal experience of JHU. I never considered their program, didn't apply, didn't interview, etc.

My general impression is that the JHU program is a bit toxic. The Goucher postbaccs went out for drinks w/ the JHU postbaccs, and they were clearly more stressed and less happy than we were.

While linkage opportunities are certainly attractive, typically <50% of any given class takes advantage of them. In addition, there are several new linkage possibilities in the works @ Goucher. Who knows if/when those opportunities will come available, but the options may change. For example, a new linkage opportunity opened up to the University of Maryland just last year.

I think you should go to whatever program you think will most enable you to succeed. Personally, I think being happy matters a LOT. If you don't have to use up your emotional/psychological resources just dealing w/ your personal stress, you'll have more energy to direct towards studying, etc.

I think I benefited from having small, postbacc-only classes. It afforded me greater access to the profs, and fostered a tight-knit atmosphere w/ my classmates.

Clearly I have a bias, but in my humble opinion JHU can't hold a candle to Goucher (or Bryn Mawr or Scripps), regardless of their superficial similarities. I don't think that program is in the same league at all. Maybe it will be in a few years, but right now? Not even close.

/clearly incredibly biased and relatively unsubstantiated opinion

Last edited:

DrArete

Removed
Apr 3, 2010
Status

Lyndsey
SATs are a problem. It will likely lead the committee to question whether you can handle the academics and get a high MCAT, and a 3.5 from a non elite school doesn't give them any reassurance, even though your ECs are good enough.
You can make another path to med school.
Or if you want a top formal post bacc, and don't get in this time, here's my advice: spend the next year doing more research or working as an EMT, and take a Kaplan course or something equivalent, take a million practice tests or do whatever you need to do to get better at taking standardized tests, and get a very high score on the GRE.

Jul 27, 2010
Status
marsle85 I would absolutely study for and take the GRE if a formal program is what you want. I would wager that BM and Goucher would not accept that kind of score at all.

EJS1979

10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I'm not sure I can offer any more insight than BetterLate, but since I had also debated between Goucher and JHU, I thought I would share my 2 cents.

While I was comparing the two, I assumed that I was basically deciding between smaller classroom experience (Goucher) and more clinical opportunities (JHU). I had been a high school teacher when making this decision and several of my former students were Hopkins pre-med undergrads, and their descriptions of their classmates and professors definitely pushed me toward Goucher. I had no desire to sit in a room with cut-throat freshmen and listen to a lecturer drone on for an hour. The orgo class that I got to sit in on at Goucher was interesting and interactive, and it was clear very quickly that the professor not only knew the material but also knew his students, and I really looked forward to having a closer relationship to the faculty. I still worried that I would be missing clinical opportunities by not going to Hopkins, but as soon as I started at Goucher it became clear that I could have as much clinical experience as I wanted -- the Goucher postbac program has a great relationship with a number of hospitals, clinics, etc., but because they aren't affiliated with one place, I had assumed incorrectly that that wouldn't be the case.

I can't speak to the happiness level at Hopkins very well, but I cannot imagine a better situation than what I had at Goucher. The postbacs are admitted not just because of their resumes and grades but because of their enthusiasm and willingness to work with other people. Medicine is a cooperative profession and postbac is a stressful year, and the Goucher staff realizes both of things, and the adcom tries to put together a class of students who will work well together and help each other as much possible. Socially, I absolutely adored my classmates, and because we were such a small group, we became very close, very quickly and had a great time, even with all the stress of classes.

Clearly, like BetterLate, I'm biased, but I loved my time at Goucher and wouldn't have traded it for anything. Hope this helps, and feel free to PM with any questions!

Thanks!!!

Feb 6, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone! Question for someone who has actually done Goucher pbpm.
I am on hold, and while I have gotten in to another program and am safe in that sense, I would very much prefer to go to Goucher. I got an interview, and visited, and I loved it. Then they put me on Hold. Any of idea of when they have admitted people from the hold list in previous years? I've been on it since November, so it's beginning to feel like a while, and I want to start getting excited about wherever I end up. I know people have discussed this before, but I'm hoping someone out there has some further input. Thank you so much, any info on being in the hold category and what it means would be MUCH appreciated.

EJS1979

10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Hey everyone! Question for someone who has actually done Goucher pbpm.
I am on hold, and while I have gotten in to another program and am safe in that sense, I would very much prefer to go to Goucher. I got an interview, and visited, and I loved it. Then they put me on Hold. Any of idea of when they have admitted people from the hold list in previous years? I've been on it since November, so it's beginning to feel like a while, and I want to start getting excited about wherever I end up. I know people have discussed this before, but I'm hoping someone out there has some further input. Thank you so much, any info on being in the hold category and what it means would be MUCH appreciated.
I wish I could be of some help, but I think hold status differs for every case. I know some people that were notified within a few weeks and others that didn't hear back again until May. I'm not sure what makes the difference, but you could always try calling; explain that you have been hearing from other schools but had been holding out for Goucher and ask if they can maybe give you some timeline as to when you might hear back again. Sorry I don't have more info for you, but good luck!

betterlate

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I wish I could be of some help, but I think hold status differs for every case. I know some people that were notified within a few weeks and others that didn't hear back again until May. I'm not sure what makes the difference, but you could always try calling; explain that you have been hearing from other schools but had been holding out for Goucher and ask if they can maybe give you some timeline as to when you might hear back again. Sorry I don't have more info for you, but good luck!
Seconding this. One caveat: please be professional and POLITE when contacting the program. People have lost opportunities to interview/be accepted in the past when they were rude in their telephone and/or email conversations. Just lay out the circumstances, explain that you would far prefer Goucher over the other program, and ask if they can give you a concrete timeline on making a decision.

I know that next year's class is filling up faster than usual b/c most people who are accepted are choosing to go to Goucher as opposed to other programs where they've also been accepted. The adcom may be more cautious about accepting new students under those circumstances b/c they are hoping to keep some slots open for later applicants, just in case. That may be translating into a longer time on the waitlist.

DreamofClinical

7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2010
Status
How many people do they admit out of those they interview? Wondering what my chances are once I interviewed.

Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Medical
I interviewed in the fall and was put in the "hold" category. I was accepted to another program soon after. I emailed Goucher and explained that they were my first choice but I was accepted to another program and needed to respond by a certain date. Goucher was able to give me a decision (I got in) before that date. Hope this helps.

betterlate

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
Status
Medical Student
How many people do they admit out of those they interview? Wondering what my chances are once I interviewed.
I'm sorry to say I don't know the answer to your question. It's the one admissions stat I don't have any concrete information about. Total stab in the dark, I'd say 50% or less, but that's just a guess based loosely on the number of people we'd see come through on interview days versus the size of the class.

betterlate

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I forgot to post, but was accepted off the hold list a while ago. Someone up for making a facebook group for all of us? What are people thinking in terms of housing? I have been living in cities since graduation, and might have a hard time in Towson. Any interest in Baltimore?
Congratulations! It's a wild ride of a year, but I loved it. I loved my classmates, Teresa, Betsy (don't know Toni well, since she started after I graduated, but she seems great), the faculty - all of it.

And now, nearing the end of my first year of med school, I'm thinking back fondly to the days when I could get away with studying only 6 hours a day - 10 or 12 on weekends - and watching America's Next Top Model marathons with my roomie while flipping through MCAT prep books.

betterlate

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
Status
Medical Student
The grapevine tells me they interview about 100 students a year, so roughly 1/4-1/3 of interviewees (30) end up coming to the program. How many more are accepted than attend, anyone have an idea?
I think that varies year from year. This year they I believe they are having a very high retention rate.

You may want to give them a call/send them an email and in a POLITE AND RESPECTFUL WAY (not to beat a dead horse or anything) explain your situation and see if they can give you either a more definitive answer or a definite timeline within which they might be able to give you an answer. (I only stress the polite thing b/c it blew me away how many people were rude and/or demanding on the phone - and, in the process, blew any chance they might have had at getting into the program in the process. If you aren't sure how you might be coming across, pass your email/script by someone you trust to be both perceptive and honest before going ahead and contacting the program.)

Best of luck to you!

betterlate

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Betterlate, medical school sounds pretty scary! Any free time at all?
I have a vague memory of this thing called 'free time.' I seem to recall it was something nice. I'm not sure, it's like a dream to me, now. ;)

Honestly, I don't have a ton of free time. I manage to work some things in like taking coffee breaks or the occasional dinner and drinks with classmates, so I don't feel like I shackled myself to a library desk and threw away the key. The vast majority of my time is spent studying, though.

I don't utilize my time well (*kof*checking SDN while 'studying' *kof*), and I think it is possible to stay on point and get more done in a shorter period of time. Your mileage may vary, although even so expect to have far less free time than you did before.

It's not that bad, though. I find it overwhelming at times, but still cool and exciting to be here. You make it work, and as you go along you learn the skills you need to deal with the huge volume of information.

EJS1979

10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Betterlate, medical school sounds pretty scary! Any free time at all?
Haha! Yes, it can be scary at times. Each exam brings its own unique sense of panic (You can tell when BetterLate and I have an exam coming up by the increased number of posts on SDN :)), but it seems to work out okay. Like BetterLate says, there is a lot of studying, but going to a demanding postbac program, like Goucher, definitely gets you ready for the amount of work you're going to be doing in med school. You also learn fairly quickly what works best for you. I need to do other things outside of studying, or my study time will never be productive at all; other people need to plow through the studying without a break; and, of course, there are a few fortunate people who don't have to study as much.

While the studying does get overwhelming occasionally, I'm really fortunate in that I'm at a medical school that I love, so even during those difficult times, there are still some rays of sunshine around to keep it bearable.

Sep 18, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Does Goucher accept students who already took most of the pre-req science courses? I took them 6 years ago but I would like to take them again as a refresher.

Jul 21, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Does Goucher accept students who already took most of the pre-req science courses? I took them 6 years ago but I would like to take them again as a refresher.
Usually no, but with 6 years off, maybe. If your grades in those courses were high, that might help, but would also raise questions about whether you'd be better off with a more straightforward refresher. If your grades weren't that high, you'll want to put together a narrative about your post-degree years and how they made you more likely to succeed the second time round.

Sep 18, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Usually no, but with 6 years off, maybe. If your grades in those courses were high, that might help, but would also raise questions about whether you'd be better off with a more straightforward refresher. If your grades weren't that high, you'll want to put together a narrative about your post-degree years and how they made you more likely to succeed the second time round.
I emailed the admissions staff and was told to call them with specific questions. Hmm... Its either my question was too complicated to answer via email or that they want to be more personal with their applicants? Would it help my application if I call and personalized with the admissions staff?

Jul 21, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I emailed the admissions staff and was told to call them with specific questions. Hmm... Its either my question was too complicated to answer via email or that they want to be more personal with their applicants? Would it help my application if I call and personalized with the admissions staff?
They're very friendly and not at all judgmental. You'll get the straightforward feedback you want. Be prepared to deliver concise explanations of your background, motivations, etc.