Government SHUTdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor712

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, let me just say that I think all this shutdown talk has made me sick to my stomach. Not that I'm planning a trip to the Smithsonian mind you, rather, more generally speaking, that these infantile, obstreperous, PE#$*C#$$$KER headed politicians can't put away their 4'' egos long enough to COMPROMISE and agree to a level of budget cuts that would keep us going -- is UNFATHOMABLE!!!! Keep us going I ask, not EVEN FIX THE LARGER PROBLEM(S)!!!!!

I'll tell you right now, should the heaven shine down on me this fall and I get my MD acceptance letter, and then head into an anesthesia residency - I assure you I will serve the time to get that fellowship and (PGY5) so I can - at any GIVEN MOMENT - bolt the heck north to canada if the time comes, with my F U money tucked away, hacksaw in one hand, middle finger in the other -- all directly pointed at Capitol Hill. I'll be the HUMAN EMBODIMENT of Woody Harrelson's character in ZOMBIELAND, when he shouts out, "Time to NUT UP, or SHUT UP!!!!"
If I have to head east instead. Fine. South. I can do that too. Six years of french. Kids have Brazilian passports as well. I can go in any direction I would think. And I'm going to make certain I CAN GO.

The level of inane bickering has reached a new juncture, that people who make a pittance as it is (i.e. govt workers) are going to be sent packing, induces my gag reflex. While these IDIOTS sit on their paychecks and piss on each other's ideas, all led by the man himself, Pres. Obama. Not what I bargained for when I switched teams from 12 years of Rep to Dem, just, for lack of a better reason, a change. FAIL.

Gas in Dade County is over 4.00$ a gallon, and it'll be that real soon up here as well. The LEGISLATIVE BRANCH of the government has totally let me down. They don't interpret these laws, they don't enforce them, they MAKE THEM, and they can't get their ****E together enough to figure this one out. Financial chaos and nothing short of it. Blade and all the others who say we are in dire straights here, I think you are right.

From the richest country, to a country that cannot even manage its own "wealth". We cannot even support NPR anymore? And we'll have to cut education and science programs as well? Really sad for my kids. Really really sad. Heaven forbid there is another attack or national disaster. We can't even shovel the snow in our largest city after a huge blizzard. We cannot even respond to ONE disaster appropriately, we are so strapped and backward-looking. It sucks. Really does. Sure, we've had shutdowns before, but these party leaders need to have figured this one out after we are all starting to see a change in unemployment, housing prices, all of it. It's not the time for this.

How long before we see that importing bazilliions more than we export is killing us. When will see that our at large FUNDING of the Chinese government, while we boycott a neighbor, with the same politics, 175 miles south of my home, is killing this country? STUPIDITY. And Ego. WHY was my MAC computer (AS IN SUNNYVALE CALIFORNIA) shipped to me from Hong Kong? When will I be able to flip over a toy from TARGET and see that it was made in Texas and not CHINA?!?!? We have collectively sold our American souls over the last 100 years and we are, about I'm afraid, to pay dearly. Cars from Japan fill our streets, ever look around when you are in Tokyo? Rio? Sure, I see some Fords in Europe, WHERE ELSE??? We're like the pre-pubescent neophyte Freshman college student who sees the CITIBANK CREDIT CARD booth at the local Harvard College Fair on campus. Sign here here and here please. 2000$ credit limit. GONE in FOUR DAYS after taking "Chickey Baby" to Sushi Nobu, Nordstroms, AMC 20 Cineplex and then Walgreens for some LUBE and Condoms. Only difference is we, the People, are inserting our VERY OWN Financial PHALLI into our VERY OWN Financial RECTI. Enough already. Seriously.

If it were up to me, I would NOT VOTE for a single member of Congress, OR THE WHITE HOUSE, who is a current incumbent -- in the next election. Out. All of them.

Vent over. Anyone agree? Disagree?

D712

n.b. too annoyed to spell check. I think you get the point of the post.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Agreed in toto. Elections here are seldom result in anything more substantial than a 'facelift' - replace people while maintaining the status quo.

Good point about the elections, but if it helps me put my head to the pillow knowing I did the right thing -- when nothing else I do helps -- yahtzee.

For all those DEPLOYED SOLDIERS and FAMILIES THEREOF in the MIL that
will not have a paycheck (to mail home) or won't get it on time, if this happens, the dudes who are 20, 21, 18, and in the MIL, feel REALLY BAD FOR THEM AS WELL!!!! Citibank and BofA aren't gonna wait 2 DAYS before notifying credit bureaus that payments are late. More insanity.

D712

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually think a government shutdown is the first smart move Congress has made in years. They are broke and should be out of business anyway.

It isn't a government shut down. Most things will run on autopilot indefinitely.

Congress should use any leverage it has to try to save our country from continued reckless spending.

It'd be nice if half the government did shut down. Most people wouldn't be affected at all. It'd be a nice display of the useless spending on countless bureacrats, redundant programs, and enforcement of bs regulations.

If people think we can't live without some government programs for a few weeks, that's a sure sign the government has expanded too far, as if we didn't know that already.

Thanks democrats: obstruction from maobama, no bill from dem congressman...they refuse to even consider fixing the problems facing us.

Congress does. Yes. Riiiight.

So... it's more like a mandatory paid vacation for politicians... wonder if any of them are going somewhere nice. :rolleyes:

That is BS. I think they all need to personally feel the effects of this clusterf**k.

It'd be nice if half the government did shut down. Most people wouldn't be affected at all. It'd be a nice display of the useless spending on countless bureacrats, redundant programs, and enforcement of bs regulations.

Exactly why I'm in favor of a shutdown. Lost in the debate is how fiscally irresponsible BOTH parties are. They are basically the same and arguing over nickel and dimes (that's what less than 10 billion dollars is when you run a 1.6 trillion dollar deficit and a 14+ trillion dollar debt).

This is how dumb the Democrats are. Republicans are doing next to nothing by trimming 40 billion off of 1 POINT 6 FRIGGIN TRILLION dollar deficit, and the Democrat response is to make the pathetic laughable Republican plan actually look "fiscally responsible."

The fiscal "conservative" Republicans want a 1.56 trillion dollar deficit (1.6 minus 40 billion), and the fiscal liberal Democrats want a 1.57 trillion dollar deficit (1.6 minus 30 billion). No real surprise gold is 1460 and nations around the world now laugh at our governmental stupidity.

I'm moving to Australia.

seriously.

Forgive my ignorance of the current state of affairs in other countries, but aren't countries like Aus, NZ, and Canada having their own problems? I've talked to a few aussies that complain their government and how high prices/taxes are causing tourists to look elsewhere for vacations.

I'm certainly open to moving to another country after I'm done with residency and or fellowship in 4-5 years. I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but it's down right scary thinking about the future of the U.S.

So what are the repercussions of abandoning your $300K in school loans and moving to another country?:idea::laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, I dont understand why everyone is always talking about jumping ship to Canada, etc. I mean...it's freakin Canada! The physicians get paid worse, and they have what we're soon going to have. I'd rather be in the US, where salaries are still better than they would be at most (if not all) other nations and quality of life is much better. I don't care if I'd end up making 180K as long as I'm doing what I love, and am able to pay off my debt. I don't see how jumping ship would benefit me. However, you guys are the experts when it comes to the world enonomy and their political affairs, so maybe I'm missing something.

I actually think a government shutdown is the first smart move Congress has made in years. They are broke and should be out of business anyway.

Nah. In the end they'll just end up spending more money for the shutdown period, what with interest, the fact that some amount of work won't get done yet the gov't employees will still eventually get back pay for it, etc.

There's no savings in a shutdown. Just expanded and deferred costs.

yeah, I dont understand why everyone is always talking about jumping ship to Canada, etc. I mean...it's freakin Canada! The physicians get paid worse, and they have what we're soon going to have. I'd rather be in the US, where salaries are still better than they would be at most (if not all) other nations and quality of life is much better. I don't care if I'd end up making 180K as long as I'm doing what I love, and am able to pay off my debt. I don't see how jumping ship would benefit me. However, you guys are the experts when it comes to the world enonomy and their political affairs, so maybe I'm missing something.

There are TONS of Canadian doctors here. Somehow I don't think many US doctors are flocking to the frozen north.

Good point about the elections, but if it helps me put my head to the pillow knowing I did the right thing -- when nothing else I do helps -- yahtzee.

For all those DEPLOYED SOLDIERS and FAMILIES THEREOF in the MIL that
will not have a paycheck (to mail home) or won't get it on time, if this happens, the dudes who are 20, 21, 18, and in the MIL, feel REALLY BAD FOR THEM AS WELL!!!! Citibank and BofA aren't gonna wait 2 DAYS before notifying credit bureaus that payments are late. More insanity.

D712

Did the right thing? Change you can believe in? You're part of the problem dude, along with the Democrats YOU supported! Suckered in by a smooth-talking community organizer with zero qualifications to be dog catcher, much less president. :laugh:

It isn't a government shut down. Most things will run on autopilot indefinitely.

Congress should use any leverage it has to try to save our country from continued reckless spending.

If people think we can't live without some government programs for a few weeks, that's a sure sign the government has expanded too far, as if we didn't know that already.

Exactly why I'm in favor of a shutdown. Lost in the debate is how fiscally irresponsible BOTH parties are. They are basically the same and arguing over nickel and dimes (that's what less than 10 billion dollars is when you run a 1.6 trillion dollar deficit and a 14+ trillion dollar debt).

This is how dumb the Democrats are. Republicans are doing next to nothing by trimming 40 billion off of 1 POINT 6 FRIGGIN TRILLION dollar deficit, and the Democrat response is to make the pathetic laughable Republican plan actually look "fiscally responsible."

The fiscal "conservative" Republicans want a 1.56 trillion dollar deficit (1.6 minus 40 billion), and the fiscal liberal Democrats want a 1.57 trillion dollar deficit (1.6 minus 30 billion). No real surprise gold is 1460 and nations around the world now laugh at our governmental stupidity.

Did the right thing? Change you can believe in? You're part of the problem dude, along with the Democrats YOU supported! Suckered in by a smooth-talking community organizer with zero qualifications to be dog catcher, much less president. :laugh:

LOL & Amen

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...-a-u-s-government-shutdown-caroline-baum.html (great article)

Last edited:

:thumbup:

There are TONS of Canadian doctors here. Somehow I don't think many US doctors are flocking to the frozen north.

:thumbup:

Exactly my point. However, everyone's always talking about jumping to Canada, or Australia, or whatever. Their situation is much worse..

I definitely am. That is a reason I picked this specialty, but not the entire reason. :thumbup:

I think that is kind of a crummy reason. Sure i like making more money than a lot of other docs but I went into anesthesiology because I loved it, not because of the dough.

I think that is kind of a crummy reason. Sure i like making more money than a lot of other docs but I went into anesthesiology because I loved it, not because of the dough.

I said "a reason, but not the entire reason." Read the above posts. Please don't take it out of context.

Well, I don't know Dr. JWK. That sounds shortsighted. That's like blaming Bush for 9/11, he inherited that problem on the heels of Clinton doing zilch about Al Qaeda while in office. Well, close to zilch. Bush walked into that one. And Obama is no more to blame for the state of the country he inherited, is he? SURE, he's caused HIS FAIR share, but let's not blame 3 years of stupidity on Obama alone, come on -- let's go back to the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. This hummer has been brewing. Maobama (and that's what I think about him), didn't tank the stock market, send the country into a housing crisis, or launch all those wars etc. (which I support btw). He CERTAINLY isn't the one who set American foreign policy Due East 30 years ago, and he isn't the man behind the deficit that, under his time, hit trillions etc. He inherited, as Gordon Gekko would say, a dog. With fleas.
He didn't decide to pay A-Rod 200 million when a resident gets 47K in NYC. He didn't turn 42nd Street and Broadway into a spectacle that even I detest when there are US war veterans, HELL - TELEVISION WRITERS - that spend time without health insurance. It's the land we live in. The land of 1/2 gallon coffee mugs filled to the brim with the dead dreams of our future generations. We are gluttonous. And I think that's what's killing us.
Not the dude in the big chair for 3 measly years. Not even close. This is DECADES old.

Let me BE CLEAR, if I THOUGHT ANY REPUBLICAN running against Obama had a MODEST chance of winning, maybe I probably would have landed on that side of things and supported that candidate. HOWEVER, the person running against Mao had 0 chance of winning. 0. So, instead of withholding the vote, as I've done in the past, I voted for change.

My mistake. I own it.

D712

let's go back to the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. This hummer has been brewing.... This is DECADES old.
D712

Amen brother; they all sucked. Obama is just the latest in a long line of suck that has taken the easy way out by handing out candy we can't afford in exchange for votes, and by making repaying political favors a priority over integrity. He didn't cause the problem; he just made it worse like everybody else.

Amen brother; they all sucked. Obama is just the latest in a long line of suck that has taken the easy way out by handing out candy we can't afford in exchange for votes, and by making repaying political favors a priority over integrity. He didn't cause the problem; he just made it worse like everybody else.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'm still amazed how Obama could win on a campaign of "Change." It's the most played out overused term that has been satired repeatedly in the past, including this clip from Eddie Murphy,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5nu5GRDzog

If you didn't know better you'd think Eddie Murphy was taking a swipe at Obama... except for the fact that the movie is 20 years old. A scene completely spoofing any politician using the meaningless term "Change," and somehow Obama rode that horse to presidency. I'm still in disbelief.

I said "a reason, but not the entire reason." Read the above posts. Please don't take it out of context.

I still don't buy it. I went into anesthesiology because I love it but I realize not everyone can feel this way about their particular specialty and thus must factor in other considerations.

Let me guess, you like the "lifestyle" also:cool::rolleyes::D.

Gold today is now 1470 an ounce this morning, and states are starting to want to protect themselves from the inevitable dollar decline by using gold as currency:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/mar/10/utah-legislature-goes-gold-silver-legal-tender/

Or you could just listen to the pathological liar and incompetent "expert" Ben Bernanke and expect him to magically work all of this out with benevolent money printing.

Our government absolutely sucks and has let us down. I sense if there was a "new world" undiscovered somewhere a lot of productive Americans would leave here in mass exodus just like the 1700's. I would seriously consider that.

Gold today is now 1470 an ounce this morning, and states are starting to want to protect themselves from the inevitable dollar decline by using gold as currency:

It's just political posturing.

“If the dollar continues to fall, what this will do will help stabilize the value of the dollar in Utah, so it helps stabilize the economy,” Mr. Galvez, a Republican, said.

This is feelgood nonsense. Utah recognizing gold and silver coins as legal tender won't (can't) do a thing to stabilize the value of the dollar.

This guy is either deliberately deceiving the more gullible members of his audience, or he doesn't really understand the effects of the law he just voted for. Probably both.

Other opponents said the state capital gains tax break could distort investing decisions and push people to choose gold and silver over other investments.

And this strikes me as interesting, since I remain convinced that the great majority of wealthy PM holders are investing/speculating, not hedging or preserving. Just as that silly homebuyers' tax credit of a couple years ago had bubble-preserving effects on real estate, I expect that fiddling with the tax code and artificially boosting the after-tax returns on PM speculators' gains will prop up PM prices.

I know, it's not a bubble, this time's different. :) Silver has doubled in less than a year. As bad as the economy and our fiscal policy is, the value of the dollar hasn't halved in that time. I'm seriously thinking about selling a lot of what I have.

In principle I agree with what Utah has done. But as usual, what they're doing and what they say they're doing and why they're doing it aren't quite as aligned as they'd have us believe.

Our government absolutely sucks and has let us down. I sense if there was a "new world" undiscovered somewhere a lot of productive Americans would leave here in mass exodus just like the 1700's. I would seriously consider that.

Even if there is (and there's not) I wouldn't leave.

Even if there is (and there's not) I wouldn't leave.

If enough of the producing people took off and you were left here stuck in an increasingly freeloading society that you'd be supporting with your own hard work, you'd eventually pack up and leave too. :)

Personally, I believe that if we go to a shutdown, then that automatically should put everybody in Congress on the chopping block. Anyone in office now should not be re-elected. No matter if they are Republican or Democrat or pink and purple polka dotted, they are out.

I have friends that if the shutdown goes for more than one paycheck, they will be in a world of hurt; and possibly homeless if much longer after that. The reprcussions of something like this are like the tiny pebble thrown into a pond...will make some huge waves if allowed to go very far.

Personally, I believe that if we go to a shutdown, then that automatically should put everybody in Congress on the chopping block. Anyone in office now should not be re-elected. No matter if they are Republican or Democrat or pink and purple polka dotted, they are out.

I have friends that if the shutdown goes for more than one paycheck, they will be in a world of hurt; and possibly homeless if much longer after that. The reprcussions of something like this are like the tiny pebble thrown into a pond...will make some huge waves if allowed to go very far.

Where do they work?

One is active Coast Guard, one is civilian contractor on Army base, the other is a civilian in Coast Guard office.

Plus, we have several active Army spouses working here in our department, (not faculty or residents, talking clerical). They are all very worried!

One is active Coast Guard, one is civilian contractor on Army base, the other is a civilian in Coast Guard office.

Plus, we have several active Army spouses working here in our department, (not faculty or residents, talking clerical). They are all very worried!

I was under the impression that military personnel would continue to receive the money they need even under shutdown conditions.

I was under the impression that military personnel would continue to receive the money they need even under shutdown conditions.

Military will continue to accrue money, though paychecks will not officially be "cut" until the government is no longer in shutdown. It would have to go past the 15th before this even became an issue. Also if you're active military and you're living paycheck to paycheck you're not doing something right.

Most contractors won't be affected by this because the budget for their contracts was done when their contract went into affect.

The ones that are affected are non-contracting Civil service people. Even then we are told it will more likely be a paid vacation than anything.

My brother in law is out of his job tonight if this doesn't settle and my sister will have to count the days as her government appropriation to her agency will run out in a month. Then she's gone too.

I still have to ask my father if he'll get his retirement check from OPM on time for dedicating his life to arresting idiots as a federal agent who put himself in harm's way 24/7.

Sickening. This is all ego. All of it.

D712

My brother in law is out of his job tonight if this doesn't settle and my sister will have to count the days as her government appropriation to her agency will run out in a month. Then she's gone too.

I still have to ask my father if he'll get his retirement check from OPM on time for dedicating his life to arresting idiots as a federal agent who put himself in harm's way 24/7.

Sickening. This is all ego. All of it.

D712

Nobody is out of a job if this doesn't get settled. You're quite the doomsday sayer. Do you work for the associated press by any chance?

This is the problem with living paycheck to paycheck, no matter who your employer is. There's no excuse for the government failing to pay people, but maybe some of these people would be better off with one less plasma TV, a smaller car, no ATV, fewer/no daily $5 pack of cigarettes ... and a bit of money in a savings account.

Because, you know, **** happens. Sickness, injury, disability, natural disasters, JOB LOSS or furloughs, any of these things can happen to anyone at any time.

I feel bad for the young enlisted guys, straight out of high school, with no reserve to fall back on. But cnn.com had a front page article about a 24 (?) year old married to a young enlisted man with four kids, lamenting how close to the edge she's living. I wanted to slap her. You're 24, with no job, married to someone earning $25K/year or thereabouts, and you have FOUR kids?

Excepting deployed personnel, I'm not sure we in the military are any more worthy of sympathy than the guy who gets laid off from the cement plant. If we don't get April 15 paychecks from the military, we'll get back pay, eventually. We'll be getting our back pay about the time cement-plant-dude is sending out hopeful resume #62.

Nobody is out of a job if this doesn't get settled. You're quite the doomsday sayer. Do you work for the associated press by any chance?

Doomsday? Have you been watching the news. Nobody is out of a job if this doesn't get settled? U mean, nobody is out of a job is this DOES get settled?
Anyway, well, no I don't work for the AP. However, that doesn't affect the fact the my brother in law got a memo from Uncle Sam Not to show up to work Monday. So, when should I cry doom? 1158pm tonight?
My sister and her husband are planners and savers. So they'll be ok. Still, would u like 3 weeks or 2 weeks or 1 week pay yanked fro
Your household when ur a government employee?

Pgg from what I'm told, back pay will be no guarantee.
Signed,
doom712

Doomsday? Have you been watching the news. Nobody is out of a job if this doesn't get settled? U mean, nobody is out of a job is this DOES get settled?
Anyway, well, no I don't work for the AP. However, that doesn't affect the fact the my brother in law got a memo from Uncle Sam Not to show up to work Monday. So, when should I cry doom? 1158pm tonight?
My sister and her husband are planners and savers. So they'll be ok. Still, would u like 3 weeks or 2 weeks or 1 week pay yanked fro
Your household when ur a government employee?

Pgg from what I'm told, back pay will be no guarantee.
Signed,
doom712

The memo he recieved is the same one I recieved. Don't show up to work, most likely when the dust settles we will recieve retroactive pay for the time we were supposed to work. If we don't recieve retroactive pay we will have essentially had non-pay vacation, regardless when it is settled we return to work.

In reference to your question...I am a government employee so I'm speaking first hand and evidentley I'm not a typical american so missing a couple weeks of pay (which again will most likely be back payed) isn't going to kill me.

Lastly, back pay is guarnteed for military. Not for civilians however. Most of your claims are half-truths at best.

The memo he recieved is the same one I recieved. Don't show up to work, most likely when the dust settles we will recieve retroactive pay for the time we were supposed to work. If we don't recieve retroactive pay we will have essentially had non-pay vacation, regardless when it is settled we return to work.

In reference to your question...I am a government employee so I'm speaking first hand and evidentley I'm not a typical american so missing a couple weeks of pay (which again will most likely be back payed) isn't going to kill me.

Lastly, back pay is guarnteed for military. Not for civilians however. Most of your claims are half-truths at best.

Friend,

I think you're missing the point. My sister and her husband are civilians. I spoke to them this AM. So, it's from their lips as well. There is no guaranteed backpay, from what they said. Can you agree that civilians will get GUARANTEED BACKPAY if this ends up with a Shutdown? What else am I claiming? What you're saying is most likely this, and most likely that, and if we don't this, than we might get a that. You a mind reader Carnac? I'm not. So, let's not say I'm making claims any less founded than you.

Yeah, world's not ending, but I think, and I stand by this -- it SUCKS for a LOT of GOVERNMENT employees!

D712