GPA 2.7 w/ health curricular activities. Now what do i do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kt275

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in 2011 with a B.A in Biology and a minor in Health Nutrition, it took me 6 years to obtain from one city university here in NY.
GPA: 2.7
I have 13 courses counted as insufficient on my transcript, all science related.
By insufficient I mean D's, F's and Withdraws
In High School I graduated on time, I've been on Arista for three consecutive years and my GPA was a 92.
I had a lot of tumult from home and I could not adjust to college properly.
I wanted to go into medical school all my life. Just to make sure in high school I participated in national mock trials and during college I worked for a Real Estate. To validate my interest further I worked for an optometrist for two years, volunteered at several hospitals during summers, and shadowed a gastroenterologist specializing in hepatitis and liver disease while also gaining experience in clinical research.
I am sure I want to pursue medicine.
Currently, I am enrolled at New York University as a non-matriculated student for Chemistry 2 undergraduate course.
I have taken this course about 4 times in my 1st college and received one C- and three D's. The problems from home have diminished and being in this new school full of resources along with a stronger mind set has allowed me to obtain no less then a 95 in all my course work so far. I am working hard because now I aim not just for a phenomenal grade but I want to build a strong foundation on my sciences.
I want to have as many open doors as possible, so I am also preparing to take the GRE examination for grad school.
With regards to, my school work, application processes to year long research programs, Masters programs and Pre-medical Post Bacc program, I'm doing everything with much greater care.

My undergraduate work is terrible but definitely not a reflection of my capabilities. I have an unquestionable determination which can be validated by doctors and my premed adviser.

Today I had met with NYU's Pre-med post-bacc program director and she told me personally that she will not accept any student below 3.0 no matter what recommendations I can provide or GRE score I obtain.
If most programs are like this, I feel I won't be given an opportunity despite my willingness. Now I don't know what to do..

I have yet to finish Organic 2 and Physics 2 (not counting the Chem 2 I am taking currently). Also, I have never taken the MCAT.
Is being enrolled as an undergraduate non-matriculated student after having graduated just a waste of time as the average for that course will not amount to much? Or is it counted as a separate GPA from undergrad?
Should I just enroll in a foreign medical school? I know a friend of mine in AUA who barely passed his first term and is on his second term now. I do not know if that is the route I want.

Please let me know your opinions and advice. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know, man. To be perfectly honest, it doesn't look like you have a head for science.

Do you honestly believe, in your heart, no-bsing yourself, that you have a head for science?

If not, maybe look into some other health profession.

The grades wouldn't be as big of a concern if it weren't for the fact that you have 13 science classes that are D's/F's/W's...that is a HUGE red flag. Like the post above says, before you continue on to any other courses or programs, make sure that this is the path where you will be strongest. There are many similar professions where you will be able to have a huge impact but are not as science-heavy, where you may have more success.

If this is still the path you want to follow, I see no other option for you other than an SMP or post-bacc, and there are some that will admit sub-3.0 GPAs. Use the AAMC search function to find an appropriate program. If you choose to enroll in an SMP, you need to maintain at least a B+/A- average to be considered for medical schools. If you are unable to do well in an SMP program, you are all but done.

You may be able to find post-bacc program that will help you finish your pre-reqs, as well as take some higher-level science courses. Also, many post-bac programs will require an MCAT score, or some other standardized test score.

Above all else, though, you NEED to do well in your pre-req courses and some upper-level science courses. Without this, you're probably not going to do well in medical school, even if all of your intentions are good.

This is not what you want to hear, but in all honesty, it's time to move on. You've taken a course 4 times? Science is simply not for you. You can have dreams of being a doctor, but dreaming and good intentions are not enough. Plus the 13 D/F/W simply serves to sink you further. Some might say you have a chance into Osteopathic medicine, but I sincerely believe you do not. Admissions won't take your transcript seriously even if you now get straight A's in retakes. You've had too many tries, so you've exhausted that route. And please, for the love of god, don't go to the Caribbean. They will take your money and you'll have to pay massive loans when you drop out and have no job.

I think it's time to move on to a different career. Retaking Gen Chem 2 four times to finally land a C-? take the MCAT but I highly doubt you will score every more than a 25. Even though you're in a new academic setting how could any medical school take all these outrageous retakes seriously? Even if you get into a medical school by some miracle think about it medical school courses will murder you!! if you failed 13 Science courses in undergrad and retook a pre-req 4x while you were in pressure to health or whatever; you will most likely flunk out of medical school the first semester because medical school is nothing but pressure. Save yourself from the embarassment, heart break. Being a doctor sounds like a noble cause and might seem glorious but medical school will murder you. Medical students get bombarded with material 10x harder than undergrad and a lot more is expected. Find something that not only you enjoy but something you're actually good at. Please forgive me from seeming harsh, I'm just saving you from flunking and getting bombarded with repaying student loans for the rest of your life.

wow this thread is like the blind leading the blind. OP, I highly advise you totally ignore your fellow pre-med's opinions on whether or not you'll ever be a doctor. After all, this IS the sdn pre-allo forum :rolleyes:.... if you know what I mean. If you want to be a doctor, study hard. Harder than you have been. Retake the courses you need to, and then apply. forget the haters.

wow this thread is like the blind leading the blind. OP, I highly advise you totally ignore your fellow pre-med's opinions on whether or not you'll ever be a doctor. After all, this IS the sdn pre-allo forum :rolleyes:.... if you know what I mean. If you want to be a doctor, study hard. Harder than you have been. Retake the courses you need to, and then apply. forget the haters.

You do realize average matriculant GPA for MD is 3.6 and for DO is 3.4 right? and you do know the difference between a 3.6 and a 2.7 right? or am I missing something?

OP I don't think your chances are absolutely over. Your cGPA of 2.7 is bad but unfortunately according to your statement you probably have a way lower science GPA which will hurt a lot. What is your sGPA? Honestly I consider myself an optimist but 13 horrific grades in Science related courses and 4 retakes on a pre-req with a bad final grade might be something very hard to swallow. I don't know what your chances are at MD schools, some might think it's absolutely nill and it might but I don't want to comment. You might have a chance at DO schools if you can get your act together and retake those 13 science courses and actually get As in the first retake. At this point even getting a B grade is NOT enough and retaking courses multiple times is not going to look good at all. You obviously have too much damage to repair and no room for error anymore. Also prep very well for the MCAT you can't score anything lower than a 32 on the MCAT. You have to prove to schools that you are actually able to handle the Sciences because medical school is all about it. Good luck!

Congratulations, you broke the irony meter. If 13 D/F/W + 4 attempts to get a C- in one class doesn't reveal something, I don't know what will.

OP I don't think your chances are absolutely over. Your cGPA of 2.7 is bad but unfortunately according to your statement you probably have a way lower science GPA which will hurt a lot. What is your sGPA? Honestly I consider myself an optimist but 13 horrific grades in Science related courses and 4 retakes on a pre-req with a bad final grade might be something very hard to swallow. I don't know what your chances are at MD schools, some might think it's absolutely nill and it might but I don't want to comment. You might have a chance at DO schools if you can get your act together and retake those 13 science courses and actually get As in the first retake. At this point even getting a B grade is NOT enough and retaking courses multiple times is not going to look good at all. You obviously have too much damage to repair and no room for error anymore. Also prep very well for the MCAT you can't score anything lower than a 32 on the MCAT. You have to prove to schools that you are actually able to handle the Sciences because medical school is all about it. Good luck!
Honestly, absolutely no chance at any D.O. school. I don't know why people keep pushing this bull that Osteopathic will take just anyone no matter how ****ty they are if they just manage to, even after 5 attempts, get an A on their transcript. Osteopathic average is not 3.48 because it's made of poor quality students, and even the average Caribbean MD is much higher than this guy.

People here need to do a bit more thinking before they talk. This guy is wasting real time (6 years for a BS) and real money taking classes that won't get him anywhere.

Congratulations, you broke the irony meter. If 13 D/F/W + 4 attempts to get a C- in one class doesn't reveal something, I don't know what will.

Honestly, absolutely no chance at any D.O. school. I don't know why people keep pushing this bull that Osteopathic will take just anyone no matter how ****ty they are if they just manage to, even after 5 attempts, to get an A on their transcript. Osteopathic average is not 3.48 because it's made of poor quality students, and even the average Caribbean MD is much higher than this guy.

You do realize average matriculant GPA for MD is 3.6 and for DO is 3.4 right? and you do know the difference between a 3.6 and a 2.7 right? or am I missing something?

The attitudes between you are soooo positive. Matter of fact, it's so good that you should take it with you into your own med school interview. Also, sorry I'm not so doom & gloom and immediately wanting to tell this guy he isn't as good as the 'average'... You two are the type that give pre-meds a bad name. I think anyone can change their future through hard work. All he needs is to do that and he'll get what he desires. But the first thing he should do is stop asking for advice on the pre-allo forum where YOUR type lurks.

edit: flodhi1 is exactly right. And guess what? He actually has a med school acceptance unlike you doom and gloomer's.

Last edited:
Honestly, absolutely no chance at any D.O. school. I don't know why people keep pushing this bull that Osteopathic will take just anyone no matter how ****ty they are if they just manage to, even after 5 attempts, get an A on their transcript. Osteopathic average is not 3.48 because it's made of poor quality students, and even the average Caribbean MD is much higher than this guy.

People here need to do a bit more thinking before they talk. This guy is wasting real time (6 years for a BS) and real money taking classes that won't get him anywhere.

I had a freshman and Sophomore GPA even below this guy and I made a come back. I think everyone deserves a chance and to be so negative can be a little harsh. I know a guy that graduated with a 2.5 GPA and went on to score > 250 on the boards while attending a Caribbean medical school. People like you told him he would flunk the first semester and never make it. Well not only did he kill the boards he was top in all his classes. So I never say never. If you want to sit here and flame at me because I said he MIGHT stand a chance at DO schools if he shows many many years of academic excellence then that's all you. No one thinks DO schools accept any trash that walks around but DO schools are a lot more open minded than you are and than what you think. They want people that actually make improvements in life. So I stick by what I stated, if this guy shows 2-3 years of excellent grades and raises his GPA > 3.0 and kills the MCAT then yes he will make it to a DO school. I don't like your attitude sorry. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
The attitudes between you are soooo positive. Matter of fact, it's so good that you should take it with you into your own med school interview. Also, sorry I'm not so doom & gloom and immediately wanting to tell this guy he isn't as good as the 'average'... You two are the type that give pre-meds a bad name. I think anyone can change their future through hard work. All he needs is to do that and he'll get what he desires. But the first thing he should do is stop asking for advice on the pre-allo forum where YOUR type lurks.
Well, thanks again for breaking the irony meter by showing how positive you are there.

If you go through my old posts, you'll see my redemption story from being a 2.7 GPA student to a 3.8 in sciences student (no retakes and over 65 units), so I absolutely believe in redemption. But I do believe in limits to one's ability to redeem.

This is not an issue of "hard work." You'd have to seriously be stupid to attempt a course 4 times and all 4 times to have been lazy (note i'm not saying failing the course is stupid. I'm saying it's stupid to attempt 4 times and not take it seriously).

I think it's you who gives a bad name to humanity. False hope is, at best, counter-productive. In some cases, this one not applicable, can even be deadly.

This guy attempted 1 course 4 times to get a C- and bombed 13 other science classes. Seriously, at what point do YOU say this person doesn't have what it takes?

I'll believe he doesn't have what it takes at the point at which he believes he doesn't have what it takes.

Last edited:
I had a freshman and Sophomore GPA even below this guy and I made a come back. I think everyone deserves a chance and to be so negative can be a little harsh. I know a guy that graduated with a 2.5 GPA and went on to score > 250 on the boards while attending a Caribbean medical school. People like you told him he would flunk the first semester and never make it. Well not only did he kill the boards he was top in all his classes. So I never say never. If you want to sit here and flame at me because I said he MIGHT stand a chance at DO schools if he shows many many years of academic excellence then that's all you. No one thinks DO schools accept any trash that walks around but DO schools are a lot more open minded than you are and than what you think. They want people that actually make improvements in life. So I stick by what I stated, if this guy shows 2-3 years of excellent grades and raises his GPA > 3.0 and kills the MCAT then yes he will make it to a DO school. I don't like your attitude sorry. :thumbdown:
Don't like it if you don't want. I doesn't phase me since your view of me matters nil. Now back on topic, you can go to my old posts and see what redemption is. I went from 2.7 to 3.8 in the sciences, so this is not some blind elitist point of view I'm taking where redemption doesn't exist. However, if I had attempted 1 course 4 times and gotten a C- at best, I would have accepted my loses and moved on. There's honestly a limit to anything, including redemption.

I'll believe he doesn't have what it takes at the point at which he believes he doesn't have what it takes. /thread
Well, you value emotion, but be aware objective reality doesn't play by those rules.

...accepted my loses and moved on. There's honestly a limit to anything, including redemption.

Is it mean of me to say that you hopefully find that limit in your med school interviews? Maybe you'll just accept it and move on. I guess we'll see.:xf:

Is it mean of me to say that you hopefully find that limit in your med school interviews? Maybe you'll just accept it and move on. I guess we'll see.:xf:
Positive man hoping for the downfall of others.

Are you seriously this massively oblivious of irony or are you trolling me?

In any case, don't count on me not making it. That's a losing bet. After all, "I believe I have what it takes," so by your standards, I'm shoe-in.

I would have to agree with you. DO is a med school and is still selective to get admitted.

Positive man hoping for the downfall of others.

Are you seriously this massively oblivious of irony or are you trolling me?

In any case, don't count on me not making it. That's a losing bet. After all, "I believe I have what it takes," so by your standards, I'm shoe-in.

that's funny your so optimistic about your own chances with that attitude, yet so quick to tag others with absolute failure. But it looks like your starting to have an optimistic streak so maybe theres redemption for YOU yet.

Don't like it if you don't want. I doesn't phase me since your view of me matters nil. Now back on topic, you can go to my old posts and see what redemption is. I went from 2.7 to 3.8 in the sciences, so this is not some blind elitist point of view I'm taking where redemption doesn't exist. However, if I had attempted 1 course 4 times and gotten a C- at best, I would have accepted my loses and moved on. There's honestly a limit to anything, including redemption.

I am unaware of his circumstances and the full story. He is obviously doing well now and I think taking a course multiple times and failing it in undergrad is not the end of an entire career. I don't know what his MCAT score will be or the ECs he has so I'm not going to pass any final judgements. As i stated before i have seen people make huge come backs. The point I'm trying to make is that even though you are helpful sometimes at times you get carried away. Just to give you a friendly reminder of the value of your predictions, when I posted in what are my chances you didn't think I would make it either. Guess what? I think it's proof that your negative attitude towards others means nothing.

I am unaware of his circumstances and the full story. He is obviously doing well now and I think taking a course multiple times and failing it in undergrad is not the end of an entire career. I don't know what his MCAT score will be or the ECs he has so I'm not going to pass any final judgements. As i stated before i have seen people make huge come backs. The point I'm trying to make is that even though you are helpful sometimes at times you get carried away. Just to give you a friendly reminder of the value of your predictions, when I posted in what are my chances you didn't think I would make it either. Guess what? I think it's proof that your negative attitude towards others means nothing.

this post... like a laser guided bomb to triage's ego.... lol. BOOM. kudos flodhi, much kudos.:cool:

Ouch that's got to hurt lmao

Honestly, n=1 means nothing to me. I have never claimed to be infallible. Take on a good data set to "prove" my negative attitude and then bring back this conversation.

I think we need to start making statistics a requirement for med school. You seem to be able to benefit from it.

Honestly, n=1 means nothing to me. I have never claimed to be infallible. Take on a good data set to "prove" my negative attitude and then bring back this conversation.

I think we need to start making statistics a requirement for med school. You seem to be able to benefit from it.

Your n=1 was way off and I'm sure there have been others that made it when they were told my individual's like you that they wouldn't. I'm done here my last message to the OP is that don't give up hope and take your advice from premeds with a grain of salt especially from ones that have not even taken the MCAT or applied to medical school yet let alone being accepted to one. Good luck!

Your n=1 was way off and I'm sure there have been others that made it when they were told my individual's like you that they wouldn't. I'm done here my last message to the OP is that don't give up hope and take your advice from premeds with a grain of salt especially from ones that have not even taken the MCAT or applied to medical school yet let alone being accepted to one. Good luck!
You're "sure" based on what? Making conclusions from n=1? Again, you'd benefit from Statistics. Then again I shouldn't be surprised that a school evaluates a veteran through different standards. Ahhh... America's military fetishism.

I can't find your case. Link me to it.

You're "sure" based on what? Making conclusions from n=1? Again, you'd benefit from Statistics. Then again I shouldn't be surprised that a school evaluates a veteran through different standards. Ahhh... America's military fetishism.

are you seriously trying to demean him for being a veteran?

Last edited by a moderator:

Come talk to me when you get accepted which you seem sure of.

are you seriously trying to demean him for being a veteran? you son of a bitch.
You still think you're relevant here?

For the record, I'm not demeaning HIM. I'm saying that being a veteran put him in different eyes to admissions, who may have military fetishism. Sorry, but not reeking of the blind pro-military mentality doesn't mean I'm automatically anti-military. I try to judge people individually. I've known good and bad military people as well as bad and good in any other profession.

Come talk to me when you get accepted which you seem sure of.
Where's your thread?

And I will remember. Hopefully by then you'll see that n=1 of myself is meaningless in the greater context as well.

Eh, I think OP still has a chance, Triage. You can't base everything on OP taking a class four times and getting a C. Things happen. Last I checked, there are more classes premeds take.

Kt, you need to first and foremost rid yourself of any distractions, as it has shown with your grades in GenChem 1. If you're willing to work hard for the next couple years to pull up your grades and get an A, then DO or Carib is certainly doable. No need to get into a post-bac program, as you can go a la cart for now. Get a tutor, and get into a study group. I'm sensing that your study habits aren't any good. So, do these in order:

1. Resolve all your distractions before taking any more classes
2. Make a plan of courses you want to retake/take in the next three years, and stick to the plan.
3. Utilize a tutor, get into study groups, and see the instructor during her/his office hours 3+ days a week.
4. Get all A's.
5. After a year of concentrating on academics, if you're getting A's and doing well, start participating in some EC's (volunteer, high school tutor, etc.).
6. Take a prep course, or get into a study group before taking the MCAT.
7. Shadow a doctor if your course load is light (50-100 hours).
8. With hard work, and 4+ hours of studying EVERYDAY, you're GPA will be near the 3.5 range.
9. Apply to medical schools on June 1, 2015.
10. Begin medical school on August 2016.
11. Handle it:thumbup:

Triage I honestly don't care if you think I got into medical school because of a "military fetish" or not. I did my time in the military, I worked hard, got a 3.6 in at least 2 years with an upward trend, worked hard on the MCAT, got decent LORs, years of ECs and in the end I will become a MD without statistics as a pre-req in undergrad. Haha I love how you're trying so hard to make low blows when you can't find much. Just get into medical school man good luck!

Triage I honestly don't care if you think I got into medical school because of a "military fetish" or not. I did my time in the military, I worked hard, got a 3.6 in at least 2 years with an upward trend, worked hard on the MCAT, got decent LORs, years of ECs and in the end I will become a MD without statistics as a pre-req in undergrad. Haha I love how you're trying so hard to make low blows when you can't find much. Just get into medical school man good luck!
Where is your thread? I want to see it.

And okay, that low blow was uncalled for.

Where is your thread? I want to see it.

And okay, that low blow was uncalled for.

I'm going to PM you, let us not hijack the OPs thread with our own arguments.

OP, while I do believe your chances are bleak, I don't believe you're stupid or something like that. I'm getting the impression that it seems that I wrongly implied that. You most likely have innate abilities for things I could only wish I could do. However, I'm seriously concerned over the fact that you've spent an extra 2 years in college and you're now paying tuition at NYU. I believe that you've reached a point where an alternative career would be better to pursue. You don't need to abandon health care completely. There are MPH and Podiatry programs and a host of other roles that you may find satisfaction if you give them the chance. In my attempt to be as honest as to what I believe is happen it seems I came off as contemptuous, which was not my intention. Best of luck, honestly.

OP,

So your this is the 5th time you're taking Gen Chem 2 and currently getting A (after 3 D's and 1 C)? Are you taking any other classes besides Gen Chem 2 right now or is this the only class you have? What is your science GPA? And what's your state residency?

You absolutely need to retake the 13 bad classes, and HAVE TO get A's at FIRST TRY. Pace yourself so that you can get A's for them. Study and make sure you score average 32-34 on MCAT practice tests before you take the real one because your real score will only be the same or lower. Aim to take the MCAT only ONCE. You need to raise your GPA up to at least 3.0 (with your history, I'm inclined to say 3.2+) in both cGPA and sGPA. Make sure you have very unique and impressive EC's. Absolutely wonderful LORs from professors who know of your past academic history and are impressed of your comeback, and willing to vouch for you in the LORs.

Once you think you're ready, apply EARLY. Make sure you're absolutely ready to apply though. I can't believe how many ppl I see on SDN apply when they're nowhere near ready, and think that reapplying next year is no big deal. Aim for perfection in your application, and aim to apply only once.

I think you may have room to wiggle in a couple of B's somewhere, but no more room for 3rd, 4th, or 5th retakes with the 13 classes; and no room for retake with the prereqs that you haven't taken (ochem & physics). And I'm inclined to say save those B's for ochems. So look like you will have to to get at least 15 A's straight. That's a lot of work.

If you don't get in, you'll need to take a few years off (~5 years?) to pursue other paths in life. After a few years, if you think you still have desire for med school then you can try again.

To answer your questions:

Taking post-bac undergraduate level classes is not a waste of time, especially if it's to replace your bad grades for DO schools. Your post-bac GPA will be reported separately (so that adcom can see trends), but will be counted with undergrad to calculate cGPA and sGPA. Look into DO grade replacement. I'm not sure if they'll see how many times you've retaken a class (hopefully not?) I don't think you'll have a chance at MD unless you take a long gap to explore other paths before coming back to medicine. DO maybe more forgiving.

DO NOT APPLY TO CARIBBEAN SCHOOLS!!!!! It'll chew you up and spit you out. Yes, there's story about some guy who got 2.5GPA, went to carib school and score 250 on step 1. But that's hearsay. Only you know yourself best. Have you achieved something IMPRESSIVE academically to prove that you can handle med school, in the carib? If the answer is no, then DO NOT APPLY TO CARIB SCHOOL.

Good luck.

p.s.: I'm all for hope, but I also think it's wise to know when to cut your losses.

Last edited:
I am not passing judgement, but I think he needs to do some soul-searching.

I said it before, and I will say it again: you don't come off as someone that has a head for science. Medicine is a science-based field. If you can't do math, would you become an engineer? If you don't have higher-level writing skills, do you become a journalist with the intent to write for the WSJ?

Look, dream all you want, but if you are 6'7", you are not becoming a fighter pilot. If you can't pass basic science, you are not becoming a doctor.

Cold. Hard. Facts.

BTW: THIS active duty hospital corpsman thinks that by doing what we do, we SHOULD get a leg up on you traditional students. I have seen more medicine then all of your volunteering and shadowing combined. If you want my advantage, sign up :)

I graduated in 2011 with a B.A in Biology and a minor in Health Nutrition, it took me 6 years to obtain from one city university here in NY.
GPA: 2.7
I have 13 courses counted as insufficient on my transcript, all science related.
By insufficient I mean D's, F's and Withdraws
In High School I graduated on time, I've been on Arista for three consecutive years and my GPA was a 92.
I had a lot of tumult from home and I could not adjust to college properly.
I wanted to go into medical school all my life. Just to make sure in high school I participated in national mock trials and during college I worked for a Real Estate. To validate my interest further I worked for an optometrist for two years, volunteered at several hospitals during summers, and shadowed a gastroenterologist specializing in hepatitis and liver disease while also gaining experience in clinical research.
I am sure I want to pursue medicine.
Currently, I am enrolled at New York University as a non-matriculated student for Chemistry 2 undergraduate course.
I have taken this course about 4 times in my 1st college and received one C- and three D's. The problems from home have diminished and being in this new school full of resources along with a stronger mind set has allowed me to obtain no less then a 95 in all my course work so far. I am working hard because now I aim not just for a phenomenal grade but I want to build a strong foundation on my sciences.
I want to have as many open doors as possible, so I am also preparing to take the GRE examination for grad school.
With regards to, my school work, application processes to year long research programs, Masters programs and Pre-medical Post Bacc program, I'm doing everything with much greater care.

My undergraduate work is terrible but definitely not a reflection of my capabilities. I have an unquestionable determination which can be validated by doctors and my premed adviser.

Today I had met with NYU's Pre-med post-bacc program director and she told me personally that she will not accept any student below 3.0 no matter what recommendations I can provide or GRE score I obtain.
If most programs are like this, I feel I won't be given an opportunity despite my willingness. Now I don't know what to do..

I have yet to finish Organic 2 and Physics 2 (not counting the Chem 2 I am taking currently). Also, I have never taken the MCAT.
Is being enrolled as an undergraduate non-matriculated student after having graduated just a waste of time as the average for that course will not amount to much? Or is it counted as a separate GPA from undergrad?
Should I just enroll in a foreign medical school? I know a friend of mine in AUA who barely passed his first term and is on his second term now. I do not know if that is the route I want.

Please let me know your opinions and advice. Thank you.

Judging from what you've written here, if you take the MCAT, you'll get a score in the teens.

You'll never be an MD out of a US school. It just will not happen. You may get in* to a school outside the State, but you'll probably be dropped and they'll end up racking up debt against you.

DO schools are sympathetic to persistant folks, but even this is going a tad too far. If you take advantage of DO grade replacement- and get fantastic grades to replace your blunders, you may have a shot. You have to remember, it's not only getting in... can you do this?

You may be able to take an undergrad class 4, or 5 times... but you can't do that in Medical School. If it's beyond your capabilities, you may be setting yourself up for a dramatic fall.

I must admit, if nothing else, you've got heart. But don't BS your self. You haven't given in your all. You haven't done all you need to do. You're lacking- and out of a city college. Be real with yourself. If you want to practice medicine, wake up. Forget your life as it is now, and devote every waking moment to academia.

Best of luck

Basically agree with others, study harder. However, I can't say I would want a doc with a 2.7 GPA treating me. It only gets harder from here.

Eh, I think OP still has a chance, Triage. You can't base everything on OP taking a class four times and getting a C. Things happen. Last I checked, there are more classes premeds take.

Kt, you need to first and foremost rid yourself of any distractions, as it has shown with your grades in GenChem 1. If you're willing to work hard for the next couple years to pull up your grades and get an A, then DO or Carib is certainly doable. No need to get into a post-bac program, as you can go a la cart for now. Get a tutor, and get into a study group. I'm sensing that your study habits aren't any good. So, do these in order:

1. Resolve all your distractions before taking any more classes
2. Make a plan of courses you want to retake/take in the next three years, and stick to the plan.
3. Utilize a tutor, get into study groups, and see the instructor during her/his office hours 3+ days a week.
4. Get all A's.
5. After a year of concentrating on academics, if you're getting A's and doing well, start participating in some EC's (volunteer, high school tutor, etc.).
6. Take a prep course, or get into a study group before taking the MCAT.
7. Shadow a doctor if your course load is light (50-100 hours).
8. With hard work, and 4+ hours of studying EVERYDAY, you're GPA will be near the 3.5 range.
9. Apply to medical schools on June 1, 2015.
10. Begin medical school on August 2016.
11. Handle it:thumbup:

Listen to this guy. If you're taking the same class several times and getting the same score, you're doing something wrong. You gotta reevaluate your study habits. Obtaining a high GPA has nothing to do with intelligence or aptitude, and everything to do with discipline. You've gotta adopt better, more effective study habits. There are probably a lot of books out there that could offer some insight into the study habits of highly effective students. I definitely suggest looking into it.

Listen to this guy. If you're taking the same class several times and getting the same score, you're doing something wrong. You gotta reevaluate your study habits. Obtaining a high GPA has nothing to do with intelligence or aptitude, and everything to do with discipline. You've gotta adopt better, more effective study habits. There are probably a lot of books out there that could offer some insight into the study habits of highly effective students. I definitely suggest looking into it.

This is the kind of thing that many people who do well say so that they can believe that their success is all down to their hard work as opposed to admitting they had a head start. It is no different than a pro bodybuilder who says that he has terrible genetics and his massive muscles are just because he works so much harder than everyone else.(I don't want to hear about steroids. No amount of drugs will make me into Ronnie Coleman)

It is also a type of false hope that keeps people spinning their wheels trying to accomplish something that they never will accomplish.

To be blunt and honest- it's a no go. Your history of your schooling will haunt you.

This is the kind of thing that many people who do well say so that they can believe that their success is all down to their hard work as opposed to admitting they had a head start. It is no different than a pro bodybuilder who says that he has terrible genetics and his massive muscles are just because he works so much harder than everyone else.(I don't want to hear about steroids. No amount of drugs will make me into Ronnie Coleman)

It is also a type of false hope that keeps people spinning their wheels trying to accomplish something that they never will accomplish.

Agreed.

We really need to let this thread go.... just let it go guys.

This is one of those rare times where I'm going to completely agree with Triage. Not sure why some of you are blasting him for his assessment; his opinion is just as valid and has the benefit of being realistic.

OP, the main issue here is that you have so many things going against you. Sub >3.0 GPA, multiple retakes culminating in a high of a C-, 13 insufficient courses, not to mention not being done with your pre-reqs after 6 years, which as a length of time in itself doesn't concern me but rather that it's been towards a BA which isn't as rigorous as a whole from a BS which usually has the added lab/math classes. You're not in a position to even contemplate taking the MCAT much less preparing for it, all of which are going to add even more time onto the 6 years you've invested.

Is there a chance that you've done a full 360 academically? Maybe, but the damage has already been done and most of the metrics that schools use to gauge you have either been tarnished or not even yet been completed.