GPA 3.82, MCAT 502, Michigan Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnyboy51

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Michigan resident planning to apply to MD schools. My science and overall GPA are both between 3.80-3.85. My MCAT was 502 with uneven scores. Lots of extracurricular activities: 6000+ hours medical experience as EMT/Paramedic working inner city, experience teaching other EMT/paramedic students, 500 hours other service both medical and non-medical, Eagle Scout. MCAT retake scheduled for beginning of August.

Wondering what people think about my chances if I am unable to increase MCAT significantly.

Members don't see this ad.

You are a good candidate for DO schools so apply broadly to at least 10 schools. For MD you could try your Michigan schools-Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Oakland Beaumont, Michigan State and Wayne State. If you increase your MCAT to over 505 you could add a few more OOS MD schools. Post your score here when available in September.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are a good candidate for DO schools so apply broadly to at least 10 schools. For MD you could try your Michigan schools-Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Oakland Beaumont, Michigan State and Wayne State. If you increase your MCAT to over 505 you could add a few more OOS MD schools. Post your score here when available in September.
Thank you for the info. Will most schools wait to do anything with my application until after my next MCAT? I have already applied to my state schools and submitted secondaries.

I think you have a solid shot at Central and MSUCHM, in addition to MSUCOM. I would honestly throw in your app to Wayne, OUWB, and Western. CMED and MSUCHM have an average MCAT right around the 503/28 mark so it wouldn't hurt to apply to those in state MD's.

I would not bother applying to any OOS MD's. Apply broadly to almost all DO's, but skip CCOM, AZCOM, Touro NY and Touro CA.

Thank you for the info. Will most schools wait to do anything with my application until after my next MCAT? I have already applied to my state schools and submitted secondaries.
They will go ahead and process and evaluate your application with your current score and will reevaluate when your 2nd score is available.

Chances are zero for MD schools with that MCAT score. Apply braodly to DO schools and you'll get some bites. Start with MSUCOM.

I really don't like that you say zero, because that's absolutely wrong. People do get in with MCAT scores like that. Yes, it's rare. It's not ideal. It's very risky to apply with that MCAT score and there's a much higher chance of ending up a reapplicant than a medical student the next year. But OP has what appears to be a very solid application otherwise and is in a favorable state for a low MCAT. I'd imagine if anyone is going to get in with a 502 it would be someone like OP. The chances are not zero.

People who get in with a 502 have something compelling in their app, like URM, veteran, killer ECs, or life story. OP's score is below the 10th %ile for all schools in his/her state.

Effectively, their chances are zero. People win the Lotto too, but that doesn't mean we should all run out and buy tickets.

I really don't like that you say zero, because that's absolutely wrong. People do get in with MCAT scores like that. Yes, it's rare. It's not ideal. It's very risky to apply with that MCAT score and there's a much higher chance of ending up a reapplicant than a medical student the next year. But OP has what appears to be a very solid application otherwise and is in a favorable state for a low MCAT. I'd imagine if anyone is going to get in with a 502 it would be someone like OP. The chances are not zero.

Reactions: 1 users
People who get in with a 502 have something compelling in their app, like URM, veteran, killer ECs, or life story. OP's score is below the 10th %ile for all schools in his/her state.

Effectively, their chances are zero. People win the Lotto too, but that doesn't mean we should all run out and buy tickets.
Central Michigan's 10th %ile MCAT is 24 & MSU CHM's is 25, so this really is not true for Michigan in particular.

That may be OP'S salvation, but those numbers are usually due to compelling candidates. I agree that if any chances exist, they will be with state schools. But I am not sanguine about OP'S chances.

Reactions: 1 users
OP obviously your best in state chance is MSUCOM and maybe CMED. I hope you got those apps in early! MSUCOM's mcat average creeps higher and higher every year.

That may be OP'S salvation, but those numbers are usually due to compelling candidates. I agree that if any chances exist, they will be with state schools. But I am not sanguine about OP'S chances.

My point was words are important. The chances are not zero. They are next to zero.

Such pedanticism will not help OP or anyone else get into med school. Get some professional help for this.

You are quite the pessimistic individual. Actually suggesting that I need professional help for saying you're wrong? How egotistical.

I'll stay off your WAMC turf and allow you to continue to breed this neurotic, narrow-minded culture. My apologies for suggesting that you might be slightly wrong about something.

Reactions: 1 user
I rest my case. When my son was little, he was addicted to what is known as the "insipid truth".

An example was like this:
Me: "Jon", you ate all the vanilla ice cream!
Him: It wasn't vanilla, it was cherry!

You are quite the pessimistic individual. Actually suggesting that I need professional help for saying you're wrong? How egotistical.

I'll stay off your WAMC turf and allow you to continue to breed this neurotic, narrow-minded culture. My apologies for suggesting that you might be slightly wrong about something.

Reactions: 1 user
Application update- 1 md interview and got wait listed, 5 DO interviews attended 3 of them, 1 DO wait list. Accepted last week to number 1 DO school. Withdrew from my other interviews and wait list spots. Thanks for the encouragement to apply DO.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Application update- 1 md interview and got wait listed, 5 DO interviews attended 3 of them, 1 DO wait list. Accepted last week to number 1 DO school. Withdrew from my other interviews and wait list spots. Thanks for the encouragement to apply DO.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
See you at MSUCOM! :):):)