GPA: 3.93, MCAT: 517, Canadian applying to US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeedACar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

So I'm trying to narrow down my school list and make sure it's appropriate (yes, I've consulted the MSAR to come to this list). Any opinions on schools I'm missing or schools that are just purely unrealistic would be more than welcome!!

cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: cGPA: 3.93 sGPA: 3.92
MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 517, 130/129/129/129
State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): Canada
Ethnicity and/or race: White
Undergraduate institution or category: Queen's University, Canada
Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
  • ~ 80 hours working hands on with a physiotherapist who works with children with mental and/or physical disabilities
  • ~ 30 hours urgent care volunteer
Research experience and productivity: Currently about 150 hours volunteering in a cancer research/pathology lab; working in this same lab over the summer (35 hours * 12 weeks = 420 hours); will also be completing my fourth year thesis in this same lab; currently have 1-2 publications in the works, not to sure about publishing dates yet, but the PI is pushing to get it out.

Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
Unfortunately no physician volunteering since that isn't really a thing that is available here in Canada, so nothing besides the physio.

Non-clinical volunteering:
  • ~65 hours tutoring low-income at risk youth in my city; continuing
  • Lab volunteering already accounted for

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc):
  • Choir member: ~150 hours total
  • Art club at school: ~14 hours
  • Brain cancer research club at my school
  • Religious organization at my school: ~60 hours
  • LGBT/Queer issues group: ~20 hours
Relevant honors or awards: Dean's list for all semesters thus far; Scholarship awarded by school for first two years of study

LONG SCHOOL LIST
  • Saint Louis University
  • Mayo (reach, I know)
  • Northwestern
  • Pritzker (reach)
  • Penn State
  • University of Minnesota
  • Albert einstein
  • BostonU
  • Duke (the dream)
  • Case Western
  • Mount Sinai
  • U of Kentucky
  • U of NC (fairly unlikely, I'm aware)
  • Emory
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • SUNY
  • Thomas Jefferson U
  • Dartmouth
  • George Washington
  • New York Medical College
  • Tulane (prob won't apply here)
I should state that I have the money to pay for all 4 years upfront, so that is not a delimiting factor.
I'd love to get some more knowledgable opinions, so.. roast me

Members don't see this ad.

These are your biggest handicaps. Nonclinical volunteering is not research, it's service to others.

You need to invest in MSAR ONline and target those 62 schools that accept internationals. 14 DO schools do the same.

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
  • ~ 80 hours working hands on with a physiotherapist who works with children with mental and/or physical disabilities
  • ~ 30 hours urgent care volunteer
Research experience and productivity: Currently about 150 hours volunteering in a cancer research/pathology lab; working in this same lab over the summer (35 hours * 12 weeks = 420 hours); will also be completing my fourth year thesis in this same lab; currently have 1-2 publications in the works, not to sure about publishing dates yet, but the PI is pushing to get it out.

Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
Unfortunately no physician volunteering since that isn't really a thing that is available here in Canada, so nothing besides the physio.

Non-clinical volunteering:
  • ~65 hours tutoring low-income at risk youth in my city; continuing
  • Lab volunteering already accounted for

Uh yea I feel as if you have almost a 0% chance at most of the schools on your list…EC's are really really lackluster particularly for internationals at those tier schools.