GPA, and DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JRMDR

7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was just wondering what kind of scores most of you guys got on your DAT and what kinda GPA you got admitted with. I know a lot of people hate to answer this but it would really help me out. By the way, Im a Texas resident. Baylor, UT Houston, UNTHSC San Antonio.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

3.59/3.54 SGPA
22/19 DAT/PAT
accepted at NYU(went here), Tufts, BU, Temple.

Howdy, fellow Texan! :)

The avgs at all three TX schools are about the same - DAT: 18-19, and gpa: 3.4ish. We're lucky because you can get a good education and the schools are so cheap! Not accepted yet, but Dec 1st is approaching! :)

ricegirl

Members don't see this ad :)
hey goatboy,
I am trying to get into NYU dental...I got rejected last year, (3.0/2.7 gpa/sci gpa and 18/17 on the DAT)...I am doing a year of postbacc classes to pick up my gpa and then reapplying...can you give me your opinion on NYU? That is the school I really would want to go to...(also stonybrook)...thanks :)

Honestly, people bad mouth NYU alot. I personally dont think it is a bad school. It is a very large class - spots increased this year to over 250. I actually dont mind the large class size, I come from a huge undergrad school. Because of their size, they are not going to baby you like some other schools, you pretty much have to be alert and look out for yourself.
They have just built a state of the art sim lab - similar to the one that Tufts has. They also introduced a new curriculum this year in an attempt to integrate all the courses more. There are good things to this and some bad things. Good- you are never going to be taking more than 2 or 3 difficult courses at one time. Bad- courses are condensed and you have to learn the material very quickly. We took Biochem in 5 weeks which at most schools takes a semester!(But then it was our only science class at that time)

One thing I dont like about the school is that everything is on DVD. So if you dont enjoy sitting in front of a laptop for hours, you might not like that.

I love the DVD/laptop thing...can you tell me what you mean when you said, biochem was the only science at the time...what other classes were you taking then? Thanks, I really appreciate it.

They have split the courses so that we are not taking all of our classes at once. Instead you finish a course or a couple of courses and then a new course starts. Eg. Biochem was in Sept. then we started Cell Bio, then at the end of oct. we started Histo. etc. Now with these courses we are taking the bird courses like Ethics, Dental Professions, etc. So you only take a few hard classes at one time rather than 5 or 6 at once.